Post match: Bournemouth v Liverpool (EPL 11/3/23 12.30pm)

After the Manchester game, which actually gave me some hope and belief that it could be used for something positive, I was expecting a great fight minimum.

For me this is the most disappointing game this season even though we have played much worse previously in this attrocious season. It showed us that this team cannot be trusted, cannot be believed in, and that you should guard what you dare hope for. I am genuinly angry, I never am because of football usually, but now I am. Fuck the useless Manchester game ! I would rather take 3 narrow wins where the team fought than to have that ugly false hope.

I have now no more expectations and I refuse to hope for Top 4 after this game. Sure, it is possible, but we don’t deserve Champions Leage next season, and if we get there, it will be because other teams have imploded. If it happens it happens. But I am done hoping. This game feels like betrayal after the Manchester game, hit me harder than any game previously. Shameful performance.

3 Likes

Elliott and Salah playing behind each other, two lefties, simply does not work.

Been in shit form all season away from home. With Fab and Bajcetic both starting, was a good opportunity to play them both together in front of the defence.

But in the moments when Bournemouth would break (in the first half), there was no tracking back. Unforgivable against a team that is only looking for that one chance to score. When Stefan is in the holding role, he knows his job. When he’s tasked with playing a little further up, he’s obviously still learning on the job.

It’s been going on for ages as a tactic, sometimes with good effect, other times as a horror show. A bit of pragmatism is needed away from home. We all could see today that even ballooning the ball into the box would cause Bournemouth problems, but all our subs and tactics seemed to be to go against the notion of crossing it in.

Until midfield is sorted, we can’t keep having that high back line, full backs both bombimg forward, and then no midfielder tracking the free man back.

2 Likes

Disagree with you there, mate: if we get there, it’ll be because we have put in a storming late run to finish the season.

Whether or not we can do so is an entirely different matter.

2 Likes

And yet for all that, if Milly was playing RB that goal would not have been scored. Trent sees the play developing, sees Billing and starts covering back. He gets back into position early and is in perfect position to defend the cut back and then just doesnt. He’s literally marking Billing and then just stops like he expects someone else to do the defending.

With defenders who are struggling you’ll often criticize them for not seeing danger. Trent has this inexplicable tendency to see exactly where the danger is and then just do nothing at all about it.

1 Like

On a little positive note, Jota looked good when coming on. Driving forward with the ball, getting hos shots on goal, and making the runs into the box to be in position for the header.

2 Likes

Maybe, we’ll see (although there are big, big problems inside Tottenham as an example with relations imploding there and Newcastle isn’t used to lasting an entire season and I reckon 3d and 4th places are relatively weak this season). Right now, I don’t see it, but sure I can technically change. But I don’t want to place my hopes or thoughts on it. I don’t believe in the team any longer this season. Next season, after a pre-season, sure. But this game affected my faith in the team in a profound way.

1 Like

Never forget:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Agree. Complete absurd type of goal to concede.

Okay, offside line sometimes can mess up (Konate). VVD with a lethargic bit of defending. First he gets into good position to make it difficult for the Bournemouth player. But then decides to stop and point to Andy to follow (on the wrong side to boot).

And as you say, Trent gets the hattrick with the looking but not doing. A goal that could’ve, should’ve been snuffed out at different points.

And I haven’t even mentioned what the midfield were doing to track back. The cherry on cake was Salah blasting the pen wide, against a team that implodes once their lead has been wiped out.

Yup. All of that. We don’t deserve to qualify for the CL. Of course, you all know that this means we’ll beat Real 5-0.

It’s just one of those seasons lads. Take it on the chin

Trouble is that today’s result feels more like a knee to the bollocks.

5 Likes

trying to put on a brave face to accept that result, but got to admit it hurts after last week’s game

This game reminded me of that 1-0 loss to Burnley in the injury hit season couple years ago, when Origi had all the time in the world in the one on one but ended up hitting the bar.

But then with Big Div, you would want him to come off the bench rather than start.

1 Like

I think it’s best to not expect a thing and see what happens.

Can we ask Nike if we can use any of our other away kits from previous seasons as this one is horrible and we’ve still got to play West Ham in it, it thankfully clashes with Soton so we will probably use the third one for that. Thankfully the rest are at home, being home we also might win them.

1 Like

Yup, Stefan is good but he is still really learning on the trade. He should probably play DM in rotation with Fabinho…

1 Like

After a big win last week, when we were all feeling great, John Henry came out and said hello. We will invest in summer, but it will be sensible. After the big win it all seemed so reasonable.

I wonder if we will get another well timed interjection after today’s result? Hello. Yes, we can see we need investment into the side. Lots of work going on behind the scenes. Players on the way, keep the faith.

Nope. We won’t hear a word.

3 Likes

Finally, someone who has seen FSG for who they are…

1 Like

Just realized that this was our last PL match before we play Cheaty away on April fool’s day :pleading_face:

1 Like