Post Match: Brighton v Liverpool (EPL 28/11/20 12.30pm)

Robbed again. On top of that didn’t celebrate any of our goals. What a great 90minutes.

Truth is, we were crap.

But still, up to that penalty, once Connolly went off, they didn’t look like they were anywhere near scoring.

I’m not frustrated with VAR on Mane’s offside or even Robo’s foul. I’m frustrated that what they show us on the TV seems so fine that you wonder if the VAR official is moving the lines accurately. What happened to giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player? It appears they are relying on a degree of precision that doesn’t seem warranted.

I think we are something like 0-47 this season on VAR decisions going our way.

5 Likes

Look at the replay from behind the goal: whiners boot has gone past the ball and he’s stretching, so there’s no way he could have made contact with the ball and affected the game…

3 Likes
6 Likes

Create almost nothing and give away two penalties, I’d say a draw was a good outcome.

Doesn’t make it any easier but if we didn’t expect the loss of three of our back four plus all the other injuries then we were dreaming.

And VAR is shit. It’s a complete joy thief.

3 Likes

Football is no longer a contact sport.
Well done English refs for killing the sport.

6 Likes

The Mane one was off, But the Salah one falls into the category of ‘FFS if you’re going to spend 5 minutes drawing lines on a screen, he’s on so get on with the bloody game’.

13 Likes

VAR is not shit
The English refs are.
Its like giving a monkey a smart phone.

11 Likes

Minamino was everywhere except when he did challenge for the ball, he lost it 8 times out of 10 or his positioning was so bad that he was not even screening the ball. What’s the point of him being on the pitch?

Still right though. It was one of the first few times where they drew the lines and I thought it was off.

But agree on the time lost.

1 Like

My problem with the offside is still too black and white its taken the notion of been level out the equation.

1 Like

Mate, if that’s a pen Salah and Mane should get 6 a game each.

5 Likes

I’m not done shouting yet about that pen - watching the reviews multiple times you could argue that Welbeck has his studs on Robbo’s clearence. On top of it Welbs had no chance to do anything with the ball because he clearly missed it in the moment before .

Then think about every other contact that goes on in the box on a regular basis and is considered not enough to warrant a pen and compare it to this.

In summary the question: Was it a clear and obvious error by the ref? Fucking NO!
It’s a disgusting case of VAR involving themselves into a nothing situation and making it a case where none had been before.

10 Likes

We have seen ex-red pundits trying really hard to be unbiased. Can be one of those cases though here? These usually aren’t given because there are many such contacts inside the box and not every foul is always called a penalty inside the box.

2 Likes

It’s getting to the point when I don’t want to watch games anymore and it’s because of VAR and shite refereeing. Between the two, it’s ruining the game for me.

5 Likes

The result is entirely reasonable even if the way we got to it was frustrating. Salah and Mané were offside the penalty they missed was clearly a penalty and the VAR did what he’s supposed to do and give the onfield ref a chance to make the right decision for the second one. Don’t get the fume in this case.

2 Likes

This season is slowly convincing me of the virtues of a European Super League. It is absurd to have a Wednesday-Saturday early-Tuesday sequence in a time when teams are losing players for weeks at a time due to something in the air.

That was another dismal spectacle, stop-start with the result decided by a call made in retrospect well after play was underway again. Right or wrong as the call may be, these low quality affairs are crossing over into being not really worth watching. Pity the guy who has to make the highlights for that, basically just show the VAR recordings and you have told the story of the match.

12 Likes

I don’t think that stat of losing it 18 times out of 10 is accurate.

2 Likes

We didn’t deserve more than a point based on this performance versus Brighton’s performance, in my opinion. So I feel I can’t complain.

Milners injury is now my big worry. That and our last two displays. But Miilner out, ouch ! We are running out of veteran players, the injury situation truly dire.

1 Like

Thats the problem.
The decisions are so inconsistent.
We always get the worst.
Its almost of as if the entire EPL is ashamed that we made them look like a bunch of farmers last year and they have decided to fucking give all decision against us.