Post match: Burnley v Liverpool (EPL 13/2/22 2pm)

3 points is all that really matters from this one. Horrible conditions to play in so it was never going to be pretty. Realistically we should have scored more but Pope is a more than capable keeper.

On that note I’m going for Alisson as MotM. Slender leads only become a problem when we concede and he made sure we didn’t even with Burnley being gifted some golden chances.

My other votes go to Fabinho and Keita. I thought we won this one from midfield and they kept that ticking over throughout.

3 Likes

The weather may have had something to do with his touch

Ali and Fabinho for me, in no particular order.

Not a game for the memory books but another 3 points.

Cracking result considering the conditions and the opponents. I recall us getting beaten 2-0 there not so long ago. The reds were clearly in control, but ironically it seemed that Alisson was the busier of the two keepers. Second half was controlled game management, which was good to see. Becker MoTM for me.

That is a forward’s type of goals return! Every season, we will have a surprise hero of the season. Last season was Alisson’s header. This season is probably Fabinho!

5 Likes

Not a lot to learn from that I think, other than it demonstrates why strong discipline and concentration is needed for us to operate a high line (which we already knew).

Front three a bit rusty today, but not overly worried

2 Likes

Yep, all true on the hendo and bobby front. I think someone made a good point earlier in the season about how hendo’s main strength is his hustle and physicality. He is not a technical player like Thiago, so once he loses jus a fraction of his physicality, there would be a drop in his play. Injuries also have not helped. Becoming a bench player for me, but we dont have someone mature enough to consistently play in that position. Bobby has been poor since last season, so it is what it is

I don’t want Burnley to go down…but they will.

Managers come and go but East Lancs needs at least one side in the Premier League. Doesn’t mean anything if you don’t live in the north of england but that area and those working class towns are not the most prosperous and they deserve better.

To have stayed up so long is one hell of an achievement

9 Likes

What I liked about Fabs goal was the way that he instinctively kept on running past Mane before Mane had even flicked the ball on. Well worked and well deserved goal.

3 Likes

It’s how his level has dropped is a bit of a concern for me. It’s been sudden.

The Bobby one is weird. If you watch him closely his movement and pressing are brilliant. It’s with the ball at his feet that is not the same.

1 Like

Let it be Blackburn then

3 Likes

Looks like it. Burnley is definitely not a prosperous area, although geographically not far from Manchester and the Ribble Valley, which are. They’ve done amazingly well to stay in the prem as long as they have. Always a shame to see these clubs slide back into the Championship.

3 Likes

agree, my wife worked at Burnley hospital before we packed and ran to new zealand. she loved it there and loved the people

2 Likes

Burnley are horrible to play against, their thuggish football has alot to be desired. The weather was awful and i am so glad this away match is over.

We are so lucky to have Fabinho. We earned 3 huge points, thats all that matters. A massive boost for us.

Well done lads especially in these awful windy and rainy weather conditions.

On to Inter Milan.

6 Likes

Difficult conditions against a difficult team. Defence played well. Ali was superb. Fabinho must have scored more goals this year than he ever has. Front 3 were poor. Looked very ‘unconnected’ if that’s a normal phrase……Bobby struggled alot. Midfield was decent. Probably should have controlled it more. Thiago is some footballer. Fab-Thiago-Harvey is my favourite midfield. Brilliant 3 points nonetheless. Keep the pressure on boys

3 Likes

I wonder what our South American players think when they arrive in Burnley on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon. The Copacabana it is not.

2 Likes

yes its been such a big drop, but thats what happens when your only main attribute is jus hustling around… players like thiago and Pirlo can play until they are 40 because they are not reliant on the physical. Fsg were pressured into that extension, seems their gut feeling of not extending him was warranted

Maybe just maybe…On today’s performance, Keita seems ok with lesser fuck ups and probably Harvey Elliott in the not so far future.

As for bobby, he needs to know that he has no reason to drop so far deep into CM territory unless we are severely over-run. Drop to the no. 10 space more and he will be alright!

1 Like

:+1:Thread-ender

3 Likes

It is very interesting though…last season, our set-pieces are nothing to crow about. This season, it yielded quite a fair bit of goals and is very instrumental in keeping up the chase on citeh!