Post Match: (EPL Liverpool v Burnley 21/8/21 12.30pm)

Trying to sign Cornet though apparently.

Agree with all that. Elliott I thought looked quite lost in the first half but came into the game the longer it progressed. MOTM? If he wasn’t an 18yo academy graduate I would say probably not, but I can totally get the excitement from seeing that sort of performance knowing both he and Jones have a good chance of taking up two midfield spots in the near future for next to nothing in outlay. Elliott has room for improvement and I have no doubt it will come, but I think we all like what we are already seeing!

I was really happy again with the CB pairing today as well. Was Burnley’s only shot on target in the last 30 seconds?

EDIT: BBC promises me there were in fact 3 shots on target. Given that every time I saw Alisson swat at it they were called offside, I find it hard to believe.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Just watched the game and these are my immediate thoughts.

• was expecting a bit more from Anfield. Seemed quiet at times. But that’s often the case with early KOs. Should be buzzing for Chelsea next week.

• Great to see Elliot get his full debut, and he didn’t look out of place. He was a bit short with his passing at times, and got caught out a bit by the pace now and then, but you can see the player he’s going to be, and we’ve really got a special one. Wasn’t daunted by Burnley’s shithousery.

• Speaking of which, Burnley are going down and good fucking riddance. Horrible, dirty, team of utter cunts. Every 50/50 was led with an elbow, snide little fouls all over the pitch, and we couldn’t breathe near one of their lads without them going down holding their face. They are a bit like Stoke used to be - the softest hard men you’ve ever seen. Glad all our lads got off the pitch in one piece, although we’ll have to see how Kostas is (thought it might be a collar bone at first)

• Didn’t notice the ref again for the second week running. Although I though it was a harsh decision on Mo’s goal. Looked as onside as Fernandez did the other day.

• Virgil was top notch again. Another game under his belt, and he already looks comfortably like the world’s best Centre Back
    again.

• So, a good three points and we’ll take it. But we’ll need to find a higher level against Chelsea.

8 Likes

I am all for letting the game run, but some of the tackles on our players today were yellow cards on anyone else.

Mo was onside. As much as Fernandes last week.

Dyche is a prick. The new found love of him is an abberation on football.

6 Likes

That’s it exactly, atmosphere is never the same for 12.30 KO’s. But at least we had a full house, unlike Citeh, and they gave away 5,000 free tickets, just to fill seats.

Totally agree, it’s just like watching Stoke under Tony Pulis.

2 Likes

Burnley were a dirty team who give their all. Can’t blame them for that. Refs job to sort that shit out. Personally though, I though we matched them with style and strength, then come away with a good win. Great to be able to watch young Elliot. Wonderful pass for Salah’s disallowed goal. The kid battled for the ball all day. Actually throughout the game there was some lovely quick play.

2 Likes

Regardless of the noise it was wonderful to see Anfield full. Great sight.

2 Likes

It’s all about getting points on the board at this stage, early season games can be tricky until you get into your stride. I thought we dealt with their constant shithousery pretty well. Matip was outstanding and clear MOTM for me.
Fucking hate Burnley, typical game-raising twats when they come to Anfield, there’s no way they’ll put that sort of effort in when they go to the likes of City. They leave something in on every challenge and it’s astonishing Dean didn’t book any of them.
2 great goals, another 90 for VVD and some good performances all over the pitch.
One day we’ll get a tight VAR decision go our way, I’m sure of it.

4 Likes

First up,great to see Anfield full and noisy…things are getting back to the way they were,hopefully!
Two clean sheets to start the season,couldn’t wish for more,another one against Chelseas would be nice.
Things look like they are coming together early doors,great to see!
Impressed with young Elliot’s debut,he will be better for it.
Kosta took his chance to impress,in spades,Robbo may be able to have a game off now and then when he is back on song.
Not terribly disappointed in anyone in this one,we can only get better!

4 Likes

One day …

1 Like

still saw some empty seats in man city vs Norwich

Everytime I see the names Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew, I puked. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

When Burnley first came up Sean Dyche looked like he might be the next big thing… now he’s on a solid path to be the next big Sam…

Gets the most out of limited talent by embracing Neanderthal tactics… and looks more and more like he will never have a chance to show he’s capable of playing any other way.

4 Likes

We won’t.
I am so confident of this that if we do I will donate €100 to a charity of my choice, and I will honour that commitment.

3 Likes

Exactly. As @Dutch said after the Fernandes goal last week, we will never be given marginal decisions in our favour.

2 Likes

My gripe with those team is like @Mascot said softest hard men. You don’t even need to match their rough style for them to fall down like a pile of dung. Just stay on your feet when they rugby tackle and they’ll do a neymar.
At one point mane was on an aerial challenge, (tarkowski was it?) charged in his back and went down for 2 minutes.
I hope they get relegated

7 Likes

We are a different beast with VVD back

2 Likes

we will. absolutely.

it’ll come when we are a goal or two to the good and everyone knows the result is a forgone conclusion.

that way it’ll even up the stats and all the naysayers will be able to point to one or two specific incidents where liVARpool rorted VAR.

the stat analysis will conclude we were equal or favoured by VAr decisions going our way.

simples. you might aswell give your 100 quid away now so the cahrity of choice can use it straight away.

3 Likes

Just to confirm, is the @Quicksand Beer Fund a registered charity, and if s, where can I donate?

1 Like