Post-Match: Liverpool - Benfica (UCL 13/4/22 8pm)

We conceded three goals all due to lapses in concentrations. It bugs me. No issue with the selection.

3 Likes

Alongside another 10 players.

He could lead the line in the centre of of front 3.

Something very Haaland about him

1 Like

Exactly.

Suarez recommended him to Barca already and will be available for 60-70 million Iā€™ve read somewhere

2 Likes

Job done. Great game to watch. Brilliant atmosphere (in no small part to the Benfica fans) even before the game. Iā€™d take playing Portugese teams any time over most other European nationalities. I saw a few friendly interactions between our fans and theirs before the game. Taking nothing away from our fans input into the atmosphere. Great from all parts of the ground.
As to our performance. Iā€™d give the team as a whole 8/10. Stand out for me was Tsimi. With good cameos from Bobby and Thiago. I thought that Naby was quiet early on but had a better second half. Joe again showed himself to be more than adequate cover for Trent.
Great that we managed the workload ofva lot of our main players and gave minutes to their ā€˜back upsā€™ (I say this in the sense that Robbo was once Albie Morenoā€™s back up). It is always good to have quality in reserve, who may go on to be first choice.
Looking forward to our semi final against a good Villareal. Theyā€™ve already despatched Juve and Bayern. Letā€™s not add our name to their list of scalps. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

In salahā€™s place?

I donā€™t think so. From what I could tell he played more through the middle or to the left. Although I could be wrong. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Just watched the game.

We did enough to see out the tie, with most of our lads playing in second gear.

Darwin is some player. More than a hint of Zlatan about him.

Kostas, Diaz and Bobby our men of the match.

Brain dead commentator droning on about our high line. Fucking absurd these people are paid to talk about football.

4 Likes

Mad game, but good result. Itā€™s easy to be annoyed at the manner in which we conceded those two late goals but the tie was already won.

Rotating players was absolutely the right thing to do in both legs and Iā€™m glad Jurgen had the stones to do it.

Firmino playing himself back into first team contention is great to see, he must be in with a big shout to start on saturday.

Nunez is a superb player. I donā€™t know where he fits in with our current 5 but Iā€™d get him anyway, heā€™d be outstanding under Klopp.

8 Likes

Heā€™s got an incredible finish on him and high work rate. He could easily be Bobby II.

5 Likes

Seven changes and we advanced to the semi final, with the result never in doubt. We are truly living in heady times.

If we want to have a little moan we can talk about how we switched off and let them get within armā€™s length of armā€™s length, but you canā€™t really moan with advancing to the semi at a canter.

There was a lot to like, and our back up fullbacks did very well, and Konate continues to grow. Diaz didnā€™t get his goal but he felt the love of the crowd, and rightly so, as he played well.

Onwards and upwards.

Oh, and Iā€™m on the Darwin Nunez bus too. Would be a very good signing indeed. Where would he fit? Well, with Origi going and probably Minamino too, we would be back to a full complement of 6 strikers with Mo, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Diaz and Darwin.

Arguably that is too many riches up top, but with five subs allowed next season, and three of the six at or around the age of 30, we would be sorted. And that assumes all three of Mo, Sadio and Bobby stay, which may or may not happen.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure heā€™d love to have him. Perfect Bobby replacement. Think heā€™ll be too expensive and other clubs are interested

Depressed that I canā€™t vote for motm.

Our high line is ok except we have to be 100% focused on the phase of play. For a back 4 that is playing the first time together, it is a lesson to remember for everyone on how important Virgil Van Djik is in leading the backline for the high line and doing defending at the same time.

Kostas showed that he is a more than a capable deputy to Andy Robertson. 2 assists in one night! That is by the highest standards, a good return.

The onus is now on us to find a good deputy to TAA which is such a strange position for us to be in . Our club used to grumble at the lack of good LBs for many years. This time, we have 2 good LBs in the squad that delivers when called upon. The back up LB is even curiously good at his right foot as well!

3 Likes

Salahs replacement

That volley that Alisson saved, just astonishing technique, power, and placement, would have been the goal of the match without a doubt.

6 Likes

Was a stunning save also!

4 Likes
13 Likes

I think Klopps comments are interesting because an effective defence does rely on the guys knowing instinctively where the others are.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the match. No survey but Bobby as MotM for me again.

3 Likes

Now the fun starts. Eleven games left if we make both finals and everything still to play for.

4 Likes

Bobby was sharp, lively and clinical. Heā€™s finding form at the right time. Also his link up with Diaz is good.

7 Likes