Post Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (ELC 1/10/20 7.45pm)

@jimmycase I’m sorry but apart from Leno they were poor and apart from the 1st 15 mins they were mostly dominated and chance wise we should have put this game to bed

1 Like

And we go out early in these cups because we never have a decent run in of easier games or we have to be in two continents within two days. It’s disappointing but no one likes losing these on purpose.

2 Likes

Playing Wilson in a midfield three does him no favours I think. Not enough grit for that position in my opinion.

The subs from Klopp today seemed mostly designed to manage game time for important players, not to affecy the game.

Thought Grujic played well, but Jota gets MOTM just ahead of him. Neco had a nice combative performance too, not perfect by any means but tried really hard. Jones tried hard too, but not really effective today.

Rhys and Adrian had some trouble handling their press, gave the ball away a bit too much, but both good on the defensive side.

Pretty shit game overall to be honest, very few chances created at either end and not much flow in the passing, a lot of misplaced passes, poor first touches etc so not the most enjoyable game to watch and of course with the worst kind of ending. Hope for something a lot more enjoyable on Sunday.

Never fun to go out of a competition, but if we had to pick winning Monday or today I think we’re all pretty clear on which was more important!

3 Likes

Let that be a lesson to you all.

Never underappreciate my contributions again.

7 Likes

well done to the lads… good riddance to this rubbish cup

1 Like

i feel like Origi, I fell asleep during that bore fest, sorry.
Dissappointed to hear we lost ob penalties, again, perhaps if I’d woken up earlier Origi might have scored his?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pissed off at not winning domestic cups. Not like we’ve prioritised the Champions’ League and Premier League…

1 Like

Arsenal v City

Everton v ManU

1 Like

Origi out wide is a waste of time, play him through the middle or sell.

2 Likes

Lovely jubley.

1 Like

Grujic definitely is a keep. Saw some good pressing from Wilson at times, think we can work on it. Origi looks like his goose is cooked. Rhys Williams is staking a claim for the fourth spot.

2 Likes

To be fair I didn’t watch, I got annoyed with the shenanigans of the Football league in regards this cup last season.

To me it’s a bit of a dead competition, the FA cup will always hold a special place as the one I first saw us lift and it’s history.

It’s bought most of our team some time off, though looks like Villa did the same.

As for someone bemoaning the charity shield loss, get some perspective please. League cup fair enough, a shitty arse half friendly shield that probably should have been shared nah, it’s a nice friendly but I only got upset the year before because it was Man shitty.

Klopp needs to do a bit better with penalty shootouts mind, we used to be kings of them now we are not maybe it’s a trade off between winning the actually big trophies. Though to be fair we’ve lost both to players who will likely be sold off very soon.

Actually come to think of it, was the Arsenal last season the only one we have won under Klopp.

1 Like

Only one team deserved to win that and it wasn’t Arsenal. They really are pretty shite and will finish 6-7th this season at best.
Wouldn’t be surprised if those missed pens were the last balls Divock and Wilson kick for us.

1 Like

We won the super cup against the Chavs on penalties

4 Likes

I like Jones shows some good things but I get that feeling he thinks he’s better than he is tries to be too Hollywood at times.

1 Like

What is obvious from tonight’s performance is that a few players are not at the level required to play for the first team. Grjuic had a decent 2nd half I thought and deserves another chance. Also, I think a few people are taking the piss giving Minamino and Wilson man of the match votes.

2 Likes

Fairly anonymous for most of the second half, looks better with the first team players around him. Wilson drift in and out like at Bournemouth last season, nowhere near the quality we need for a starter.

The only part that really bothers me about this (other than these games can be valuable for the youngsters) is that @cynicaloldgit may have proved his worth.

That leaves @SBYM.

5 Likes

Problem with judging players in a reserve side is they are playing with reserve players.

Williams is playing with the real deal in CB but not the right keeper, Jones isn’t playing with Hendo or Thiago, Gini, Fabinho or even Keita.

Up top you have Salah and to a certain extent Jota but again you don’t have that midfield line, that Arsenal team on paper should be beating us and they can celebrate but deep down if they met us in the league they wouldn’t be close to us like Monday night.

So let the talking tossers blab, it’s almost a second string again with the season as it is or even potentially could be worse I’d rather we concentrate on the other three trophies because to me they mean something.

Especially after how we were treated last year.

3 Likes