Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 10/4/21 3pm)

Phew! That’s a relief. Still a very iffy performance but a good three points. Thought Gini and Fabinho were happy to play the ball backwards all game giving Villa far too much time to regroup. Thiago carried this on when he came on. Allison has got to work on getting down that second earlier on low shots. Been a problem with him all season. Gave my MOM to Milly for his work rate. Don’t think anyone else’s performance deserves it.

1 Like

Yay we won at home. Should have never been so hard in the first place but 3 points is 3 points.

Villa were piss poor in the first half. Last season’s Liverpool would have scored 3 or 4 goals. This season’s Liverpool managed to fall behind despite being completely dominant. We did manage to equalise in the first half but the VAR cunts thought otherwise. Second half was a continuation of the first, until Salah got the equaliser. After that, we lost all impetus and composure, Villa looked more threatening and we grabbed the win during the only period of sustained pressure we managed to put together right in added time with a wonderful curler by TAA.

Not the most convincing but it’ll do for now.

1 Like

Incredible finish. Such joy as Trent buried that. I’ve missed those moments. Special.

As for the overall game, we were good for the first half hour, except for in the most important aspect, putting the ball in the net. Should have easily been ahead.

They took the lead and VAR found a way to rob us of the equalizer, and they were also doing the dark arts and wasting loads of time. The ref added only a fraction of what he should have.

We chalked up a few cheap yellows. The one proper nasty one was Watkins on Thiago, which, in the context of the soft yellows given in that match, could easily have been a red.

Mo lively for the equalizer, then Trent at the end. Incredible technique. Swerve, dip, placed, yet still with power. He was completely in control of how that was executed.

Three points. Got a toe in top four. Probably won’t hold through this round of matches, but it’s nice to put some pressure on others. Hopefully we get enough of a run together to do this. Big moments, like the one we just had, can have a way of flicking a switch and changing the trajectory. Hopefully that’s what happens and we go on a run and nab top four.

3 Likes

Couldn’t celebrate the goals sadly, but I absolutely loved the final whistle.

Thing is there is literally nothing clear about our chalked offside goal so in my mind stay with the decision on the pitch, Villa didn’t look aggrieved by it.

Anyhow scraped a result but these fuckers shouldn’t even be in the PL so fuck em

As for Trent the guy was boss today, Robertson was also much improved, I think Milner in the middle helped us add that steel.

4 Likes

We won however I’m still LIVID just can not get over that offside. This season has been long and hard.

2 Likes

Absofuckinglutely maddening match. We dominated these cheating pricks in the first half with nothing to show for it and left ourselves in a position to get the shit end of a close decision. And it’s exactly what happened.

We battled and we grind it out and fucking finished it. Our boys deserved all fucking 3 points from start to finish. I need to go have a pint bc I’m still pretty wound up.

6 Likes

Can I say you are very kind, I only agree on Firmino and Milner and Jota, the rest scored lower for me

Firmino MotM for me and not only because of his goal.

3 Likes

Bobby much better today. Really worked hard and made incisive passes. His goal should have stood.

5 Likes

Would like to see Trent doing that much more consistently. He has the technique just needs to keep working on execution and timing his runs to get in these positions. We aren’t scoring enough outside the front three and Trent could be a 5-10 goal banker if he works at it.

Really disappointed with Mo (again) - good poachers goal but otherwise his touch and decision making was poor. Would love to be able to rotate/bench him and hope we can find the cash to add some further firepower upfront for next season.

Hadn’t watched many full games recently - moving house and hectic personal life, not to mention the very disappointing results, but thought Kabak looks worth keeping and even Phillips looks like he could play PL football (hopefully at another club with us pocketing 10m).
Allison was poor on the goal. From my position reclined on a couch unable to reach my keep-awake coffee 50cm away, I feel well qualified to pontificate on his agility and reaction time - was not sure why he was so sluggish to get down to ball. Always thought he was a very good technical keeper who was brought up another level again by his concentration. Has he been below par recently?

Anyway after Madrid, this at least gets some positive vibes back and keeps our league season alive a little longer.

4 Likes

Would you like him to explain bringing on Shaq and Thiago, which won us the match?

The constant moaning on this forum is depressing

7 Likes

My thoughts…
*The players need to believe that we don’t need the fans to play well at home and win games

• The best front 3 at the moment is with Salah Firmino and Jota… Firmino excels more in his false 9 with players who show more movement and made little runs. And Jota and Salah did that more than Mane who is greatly out of form.

*Our defensive woes are amplified by Alissons bang avg Goalkeeping all season.

*Where is Jones?

Overall a gutsy performance. And a sign that we still have the Champions pedigree to pull out the win.

4 Likes

We need to finish better but I’ll take finishing with 3 points.

Trent as MotM. He’s taken so much abuse lately that he needed a boost and that will do his confidence the world of good.

Nice to win at Anfield for a change as well. We never seem to get a result there.

2 Likes

What a difference a year makes! Last season we had it wrapped up, now we’re praying for other teams to lose so we can at least get into the top four! How’d have thought that would be the case? Lots of work needs to be accomplished for 21/22 season or we’re going to find ourselves in the same crap again!

2 Likes

3 Likes

A massive result, Trent scored a beauty. Must be goal of the season contender.

3 huge points. What a relief!

6 Likes

Average uninspiring performance culminating in a much needed result. The performance doesn’t fill me for much hope for the next Anfield game, but I guess it’s baby steps atm.

1 Like

Thought most of the game was a comedy of errors, both teams giving the ball away so easily. Firminho best game for a while .Phillips another solid performance. I think many of the team had Tuesday in mind.
The offside decision for our first goal was a joke.

English tax

I’m a happy man Dutch atm that’s why

On another note Alisson starts to be more commanding he looks like a mistake waiting to happen and what’s gone wrong with his shot stopping.

1 Like