Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 10/4/21 3pm)

Jones had a muscle injury was reported before game.

2 Likes

Gutsy as it gets, great result massive 3 points with the fixtures this weekend.

One of the worst umpiring displays I’ve seen though. How much time did he allow them to waste. Not even a warning. The injury to Trezeguet i mean ffs how does he let him get away with that. Then the cards that weren’t cards and the VAR decision and the letting Villa more or less do as they please. Utterly shameful display those mobs of Ref should be sacked.

How could that VAR evidence overturn the goal. You cant score with your arm so how is the line drawn to there. There is no way they could know if the player touched the ball or not and the ball is obscured in the frame they use to measure the offside so how do they even know it has left Trents foot.

There has to be a point where it becomes to close to overturn the goal. Im jack of it. I watch football to see goals scored not wait 5 mins for VAR to rule out a goal that they cant even be sure wasnt touched or offside.

4 Likes

I think its more how long he waited to bring Shaq on. Klopp has moaned all season about subs and he gives his 7 minutes.

2 Likes

I‘ll never understand the offside rule

5 Likes

Not the english one in any case. :wink:

I had to be out this afternoon and was listening to TalkSport when VAR happened.

The decision was universally panned by every single commentator/host/etc who discussed it. All I ever see in the media is how it is not fit for purpose.

The fans clearly aren’t happy, the guy at Anfield on the wireless (Andy Grey?) was absolutely gobsmacked, anyone in the media who ever played football hates it.

You’d be hard pressed to make a good faith argument it has in any way improved the game. Just scrap the fucking thing.

11 Likes

The thing about VAR is that you can’t celebrate the goal 'cos you’re immediately thinking, was there some minor infringement in the build up or a marginal offside that no one picked up? That’s a real pisser in my book.

4 Likes

Good performance, well deserved win.

Pleased to see the full backs doing better, perhaps with the more stable partnership inside them.

Phillips is growing by the game, he reads things well, the mark of a good centre back.

Frustrating to see our GK making mistakes and at the same time lesser keepers having worldies for opponents, but Alisson deserves a lot of patience and slack given what he’s done for us in the past and given what he’s been through recently.

Our goals to possession and chances is a big concern, but it was nice to see Bobby more like his old self and I do think the forward three of Jota, Bobby and Salah is probably our current best balance of attributes and form.

Mane just seems half the player he used to be, it’s like watching Bambi on ice, especially against tight defences. A good player to bring on if we’re ahead and looking to hit sides on the break though.

Midfield worries me a bit. Fab was much better today, but Milner, Gini and Thiago seem to be a bit up and down.

Long way to go in the race for top four, a few key injuries could still derail us. We need the keeper, centre backs and Fabinho to stay fit.

As to VAR, in answer to questions above about it and offside - when are people going to accept that the issue is not the offside rule, nor VAR, but that the prejudice against our club means that exact same incidents get called differently depending on whether they favour us or hinder us.

I said it at half time and I say it again, no way does that goal get disallowed if an opponent scores it against us.

Look at Leicester’s equaliser against us, or Son’s for Spurs for example.

9 Likes

Looking forward to hearing the result of the ruck that is coming in Amsterdam. My money is on the Viking to prevail in the third round. I fancy his handbag might be heavier than the Dutch lad’s. :rofl:

3 Likes

The purpose of the offside rule was (rightly) to stop players from hanging round the goal behind the defence. It was never to stop the kind of goals that are being scored by players making a quick dash onto a through ball that we’re seeing disallowed now. They’ve totally lost their direction and are destroying the game by setting these ridiculous fine line margins with lines on screens to determine whether an armpit or an ear moved first whie a ball left a foot down field.
They need a reset.

10 Likes

Majority of the calls in Europe are fine, I think once you have to start drawing lines you defeat the object of it. There wasn’t conclusive proof that Cash didn’t touch it to be honest

Look at the still if there is enough to judge it off or on from the still then go with that otherwise stay with the onfield decision.

Let’s be honest we’ve had two chalked off against this lot and they are only in the league because goal line technology fucked up and VAR for some reason didn’t overrule it.

6 Likes

We were robbed of a win by VAR for at least 3 games this season we would have been 3rd comfortably

5 Likes

Surely, if there is sufficient doubt, which there clearly was in this case, the benefit should be given to the goal scoring side? Not saying this because it would have favoured us today, but simply as a football fan.

2 Likes

On another forum someone pointed out the similarity between Trent’s goal and Gerrard’s last minute winner against Middlesborough Kop End first game of the 2008/9 season. And they are very similar. I remember knocking chairs and tables over celebrating Stevie’s goal. Today I just sit there thinking Trent’s would be disallowed because someone’s pube had strayed offside in the build up. VAR has killed moments like that for me.

It wasn’t a great performance and after we equalised I thought Villa were the better team and more likely to get the winner, but the result was the only thing that mattered today. Just get any kind of win at Anfield and see if the confidence boost can take us to a higher level of performance. It’s three league wins on the bounce and it’s some relief for JK. I was pleased for him because you can see what it meant for us to win. The guy deserved a break and he got one today.

11 Likes

I’ve got Brighton and Everton which was the third?

First time since October we have come from a goal down to win.

3 Likes

3 Likes
10 Likes

Overall there is no problem with VAR, it is just the ridiculous way the officials administer it. One rule that needs to change is the offside. You cannot score with your hand so how in hell can your hand be offside ??.
I think VAR has stopped a lot of cheating fouls. It won´t be right all the time but apart from offside it is pretty good. ( Mmm, not to sure about hand ball though. Have to study that one a bit :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Carragher made the point I’ve been making all the time about VAR and offside been level has been taken out of the decision making process even though its still in rule book.

3 Likes