Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 10/4/21 3pm)

I thought we were really good today, and well worth the win. If we can sort out the profligacy of the front three there won’t be many can beat us.

The thing that annoys me most about this squad is our niceness. There was a ten minute spell that’s really highlights this.

Trezeguet gets injured contesting a ball with Trent, and feels his knee sitting on the advertising boards. He limps back on the pitch and lies down on the floor to get treatment (should be a yellow card, IMO). Takes about three minutes out of the game. He get up and limps about (he is clearly injured by the way, and I’m not suggesting he’s blagging it - more that having got the injury he’s gaming it for all it’s worth) while Villa has the ball. Liverpool get hold of it and launch a quick ball down the line for Salah, who gets in a battle with Mings. Seeing this, Trezeguet hits the deck again to try and stop our attack.

Mings does well against Salah and comes out with the ball, but it gets away from him and he dribbles it out of play. He then spots Trezeguet on the deck and claims he put it out on purpose to get his teammate treatment, which is absolute bullshit.

What do we do? Like good girls, we give them the fucking ball back.

When Mings tells Milner he put it out on purpose, Milner should be telling him to get fucked. He had no idea Trezeguet was down, and by the way if that lad is as injured as his tears suggest, he shouldn’t be dragging himself on the pitch to stop the game, and then going down again to stop our attack. It’s fucking cheating and I want our lads to stand up to it and call bullshit when teams are trying it on.

We have got to get a grip on this. I know Jurgen is a nice man who wants to play football the right way, but it’s annoying seeing us getting done over and over again because we’re too nice.

When Villa are hanging on for a point, Martinez is taking about 40 seconds over each goal kick. Was does Alisson do in injury time when we’re trying to see our the game? Runs to get the ball on the six yard line and take a quick one.

It’s maddening.

12 Likes

I played football to a reasonable standard, when I was younger and the rules then seemed to be a lot simpler. Now, I don’t know when a player is onside or offside, I certainly don’t know what constitutes a handball anymore. And when does a tackle become a foul on the opposing player? Milner was booked today for tackle which I thought looked perfectly legitimate. The rule makers have messed with the game and not for the better.

8 Likes

Given the proximity of the referee, that Milner yellow might be The worst decision I’ve seen this season.

9 Likes

There is that. To be completely honest, including VAR, there’s a mad scramble for worst decision going this season.

2 Likes

We need a United and Leicester win tomorrow otherwise back down to 7th we go and we are running out of games.

2 Likes

If there is doubt about an offside, the referee must see the footage with just a line from last defender.
Great 3 points, hope it brings back the stamina for the CL return game.

3 Likes

Definitely need a United win as they are out of reach.

If Leicester draw it puts them only 5 points ahead of us, so arguably they start to look catchable. Anyway, I will take what we get, but main thing is I want Man Utd to win (yuk) as we won’t catch them, and that will put a hole in Spurs.

1 Like

I was making a brew just saw him getting card didn’t see what it was for bit debatable by sounds of it.

The length of stoppage time was more baffling only 5 minutes after all Villa theatrics.

2 Likes

When does the conversation around Alisson’s form start. Everyone has pretty much been off this season but the regularity and consequences of his mistakes are becoming quite concerning. His distribution is also way off. A number of poor passes or balls chipped into touch today.

Also genuinely struggling to remember the last save he made that was anything out of the ordinary. A great keeper should be saving stuff the run of the mill guys don’t and we’re not seeing that from him at the moment.

He’s lucky the lads bailed him out today but perhaps more than anyone, maybe outside of Mane, he needs to turn his form around sharpish.

5 Likes

Although he does not score enough as a number 9 he ‘always’ is a pleasure to watch.

There is so much more to his game than scoring goals … he is simply not a number 9 to me but more someone who plays behind the number 9 like he did in Germany.

3 Likes

In match thread I was very critical have been for a while too.

1 Like

It was nonsense, mate. Milner won the ball cleanly and was completely in control

4 Likes

There are times when the powers that be over think things. We seem to be in a situation where the players, the ref and the fans don’t understand why a decision is being made. It’s utter bollocks and it needs to be sorted at the end of the season. VAR is killing football.

3 Likes

Glad it’s not just me. I’ve always thought we overrated him somewhat because we’d been stuck with Mignolet for so long and he’s better than him.

But best in the world? Nope, not for me not even close. Perhaps top ten on best form but right now he’s at Mignolet levels.

2 Likes

Well the referees don’t so you are in good company.

5 Likes

Great result that.

granted there are a lot of negatives about today game…

some bad passing, (in fact there was some simple passes that where terrible)
The VAR (its a conspiracy and we are all doomed, doomed I tell you),

the positives though,
we came back to beat a decent Villa team 2-1, after been a goal down, and having a goal disallowed
(this has been enough for us to collapse and lose this season) despite playing a toughie against Real in the mid week,

we showed our mental toughness in this game,
which has been missing recently, specially at home, where we haven’t won since last year!

Bring on Madrid!

highlight of the match?

reading the comments of 2 forum members in the pre match thread,
arguing with each other
cheered me up no end during the shite first half,

good work lads, keep it up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be possible for him to ever be at migs level.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this, for me if the line shows you are offside you are offside, but using the shirt sleeve is bullshit use the feet, I may have said this a few times before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smirk:

2 Likes

Yep poor reffing I also thought the ref missed a blatant one right in front of him early in the game when Jota was limping their player just kicked through is ankle to play the ball right in front of him. Just dont like Tierney as a ref

2 Likes