Post match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (EPL 20/5/23 3pm)

Ah, so your dislike of Hendo is because he isn’t Stevie. That makes a lot more sense now. I wonder if our next captain will be as good as Stevie was, if not i’m guessing we can look forward to your posts on him too

3 Likes

Fucking ridiculous. Along the lines of the Pickford not being send off because VVD was offside.

1 Like

I thought we played okay. The first half was pretty intense. We had our spells on the front foot, but Villa defended well. Villa, on the other hand, was getting to many balls first and really should have brought that same energy into the same half, but they decided to sit on the lead and paid for that decision, just not enough.

In context, that’s still 24 points from 30 and no defeats in 10 matches. We needed a bit more of that earlier in the spell after the WC. We’re still finishing strong. It just doesn’t seem like it will be enough for the Champion’s League places.

1 Like

Today’s game was a great example why we need a complete overhaul in midfield. We were really poor. Fabinho was very lucky that he didn’t get a yellow card first half after foul after foul. Hendo’s time as a starter is finished and Curtis as well as he’s played the last few games is not good enough to compete with the City’s and Arsenal’s. Milly looked the best midfielder on the pitch today albeit for only half an hour. Fantastic to see Bobby finishing off his days at Anfield with an equaliser for us and no competition for MOM for today. Just a little point I noticed today is that every time Martinez kicked the ball out of his hands his standing foot was outside of the box by a good few inches.

1 Like

The defender needs to be in control of possession for it be considered a pass. It doesnt apply to a defender simply blocking a shot or cross, even if they make a clear move to the ball to do so. He is not considered in possession of the ball by making that block so it doesnt play virgil onside after initially being in offside position when Diaz knocked it back.

There have been seasons in years passed where the interpretation would have meant Virgil being onside (think of that Kane penalty on the Lovren play), but everyone hated it because they understood it wasnt what the rule was supposed to mean and punished defenders for defending.

1 Like

They left us loads of space out wide that we never used. (Not so long ago we were doing the opposite sending it out wide when the opposition had them blocked).

Good post. The final push for the CL spot now looks all forlorn, but the points picked up shows a team on the up. Now just need the much needed midfielders over the summer.

1 Like

Great send off for Firmino and great goal , true doesn’t count for much but it feels much better not to loose to villa . Trent the midfielder played well , Trent the defender was his usual self and the goal villa scored is one of many were trent was caught napping its a dilemma that klopp will need to solve next year .
Henderson as usual lots of movement with no purpose no quality on the ball or delivery into the box .
in general we limited villa and we were the better team but we have a chronic endemic lack of midfield creativity which was exacerbated by a poor game from salah .
goodbye Firmino enjoy the weather in Spain .
Thursday football for next year which a pity considering that both Newcastle and manure didnt manage to average 2 points per game and still got champion league which shows how poor we were this season against rubbish teams ( Leeds, Everton, Nottingham ,Bournemouth , wolves, crystal palace)

1 Like

The new guy can be not as technically good as stevie but if he does his basics well, helps his team out, then nobody will be criticising him at all. In this game, he has hounding someone with a group of other players but has no idea how and when to press and when to make that challenge despite being in the top-flight for so many years.

There are literally 4 memorable moments for Hendo in this season. 3 assists against Ajax, Man United ( that big ass spanking) and Leeds (another big ass spanking) and that block on TAA’s free-kick against Crystal Palace. Which moment really decided the course of the match?

Exactly this, where is the game intelligence?

Where is the brains to see that they have crowded the middle and to get on the overlap.

Reminds me of the days when we’d just loft crosses in all game ad nauseum

You’ll struggle to find more of a professionals professional that plays the game anywhere in the world as James Milner, a true credit wherever he’s been…under every manager he’s played under.

Very few players like him nowadays, and that’s a testament to him moreso than the state of the game as we now know it to be.

I take my hat off to you James

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1659961989177720835?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1659961989177720835|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

11 Likes

There were people there. It is just that the quality delivered from them are shit today.

Yes Virg is offside. As the Villa player doesn’t controllably ‘play’ the ball, it effectively becomes a pass from Diaz directly to Virg, who is closer to goal.

Milner was outstanding in this match. Did so much more than our starting midfielders.

Except Konsa played the ball.
Once he moves towards the ball he plays it.

1 Like

Shouldv’e started more games for us this season but it is what it is.

1 more game of Fab Hendo and Jones to painfully endure and then that will be it.

Would have been nice if Stelling shut up so I could hear the fans singing “one James Milner”.

Been a great servant to the club. Wish him well wherever he goes.

4 Likes

Im not trying to defend Hendo here, you brought SG up as someone that did what you wanted to like him as a captain. Im just pointing out that SG was a one off. I can’t think of anyone in any other team that has done or even could do what he did for our team and you’re comparing Hendo to him. There is definitely nobody else in our team that could do it so i’m wondering why you used that stick to beat Hendo with.

Also should mention that if you think all Hendo has done this season (which has been his worst in a while btw) are those 4 moments then maybe you need to watch more games. Maybe think about where Hendo goes charging after someone or crunches into a tackle has had an effect on the game. If you want him to do an SG though then nobody is going to be good enough for you.

I’m not even sure why i replied to your post in the first place, i know better than to try to change someones mind that obviously has a dislike for a player and im sorry i even tried now. Perhaps it was the fact that most of your posts are based around your dislike for him

The exact rule text is:

Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air

I’ve bolded the parts that apply in this case and why the ref deemed it not deliberately playing the ball

https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/#:~:text=A%20player%20in%20an%20offside%20position%20receiving%20the%20ball%20from,deliberate%20save%20by%20any%20opponent.

1 Like