Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 19/8/23 3pm)

Absolutely right. I liked very much what I saw from the lad during his short stint. He adapted very quickly, and gave us more control over the game. Considering that he hadn’t had a proper training session with the lads before the game, it’s very promising imo.

7 Likes

Only saw highlights, but i liked seeing him winning the ball, laying it off and breaking ahead towards the penalty area.

You mean competence, efficiency is a word for managers who want to cut things.

He was also outmuscled once or twice and some ran past him.

Nothing to be worried about based on the context, just wanted to give a full picture.

2 Likes

I’m still getting last season vibes from this team. Obviously, this doesn’t apply on every aspect of play but there are times that they look a carbon copy from last season. The most clear example is the idiotic mental mistakes that occur at an unacceptable rate game in, game out. Loose passing and complacent defending being the worst culprits.

On the other hand, there are also moments which are full of promise and excitement and make you want to instantly bypass the maturation period of this team and see the final product because you know it’s going to be really really good. The forwards are lethal and Mac Allister and Sloboszlai have upgraded the midfield ten-fold. The latter might just have delivered the best midfield performance in a couple of seasons in what was only his second start. If we could add another one of similar level at the back…

The red card, I can see what the ref was thinking. Studs were showing and it was dangerous play. That said, the clash was fairly innocuous. Furthermore, one only needs to see how much worse challenges get the benefit of the doubt to realize that in this league, with these officials it was a joke of a decision.

All in all, good win but still unconvincing especially at the back. If we do not clean up our defensive game, we won’t be doing much of anything.

2 Likes

What about the data surrounding fouls on Grealish vs fouls on Salah.
One would suspect that both of them are fouled equally.
That data is there, and its scandalous

1 Like

Thing about judging us now we are still working towards a functioning team.

Klopp acknowledged this.

Hopefully we finalise anymore details this week and then Klopp can improve week on week.

We haven’t had a proper CDM for 75% of the games so far and he only signed on Friday for that remaining 20-25%.

It’s about the results in this first period, I was more disappointed with the slow start especially after Chelsea we had started right at them.

4 Likes

Unbeaten in 13 - 8 wins, 5 draws. We’re not far away from where we want to be. Certainly some improvements to be found but people who still think we are struggling to challenge for top 4 are crazy alarmists.

10 Likes

Yeah that is true, but he’s due some adaptation-time to the PL. The encouraging thing is that the episodes you refer to happened in the first ten minutes of his stint. After that, he was impeccable from what I could see.

2 Likes

try more reading and less ranting.

1 Like

In my view it’s a waste of possession. It’s not what Jurgen is discussing, but it creates unnecessary duels and we lose many to start a game or half. Lob it up to a smallish wide player, lost an aerial duel and then we chase possession.

To start vs. Bournemouth, we lost that battle easily and didn’t settle into game with any possession. That led to us conceding two minutes later but being lucky it was offside. If we control from the off we take the game to opponents not risk going on the back foot.

1 Like

I think Grealish is more the outlier than Salah here in a sense. He was also not getting the decisions at Roma, whether that’s because of an inherent style of play, or discrimination, is probably only ever going to be a matter of opinion rather than objective fact, unfortunately.

My point is simply that Tomkins is on the right track, but apparently either doesn’t have the rigour to actually trawl through all the data, or has done the legwork and is aware that the results do not suit his goal.

Whether or not there is bias against us or not, is therefore not really supported either way by what he wrote.

2 Likes

I see there appealing Mac Allisters red card. Rightly so

3 Likes

Also feeding into this is media bias where Salah and other foreign players are portrayed as divers, and Grealish and Kane as ‘clever’. This might subconsciously influence referees. Also that Salah is a generally ‘nice’ guy and rarely in referees face like others (though I did notice him protesting Mac’s red).

None of these things should influence referees but I think they’re more evidence for the incompetence argument rather than corruption

Wasn’t a referee in the news a while back saying that there were interests from the broadcasters in letting the game flow. Really means that Liverpool get hard done by.

That doesn’t go near explaining why Mo Salah is “only fouled every 95 minutes” or so. It has nothing to do with foreign, compare him with De Bruyne or Fernandes for example?
And if it is indeed incompetence, why is not mirrored elsewhere?

2 Likes
2 Likes

He has provided figures in the past.
He has made an accusation regarding biases against Liverpool.
Nobody has trawled the stats to prove him incorrect.
Either they are not arsed, or the data supports what a lot of people observe. Liverpool, for whatever reason are very much sinned against by certain referees.

2 Likes

Was a harsh yellow… Turned out a straight red.

It’s a shit decision throughout

3 Likes

I think the appeal for the Mac red is right. The ref overreacted and misjudged the situation, and it is important for us to stick up for our players.

At the same time, I don’t expect a satisfactory outcome. The ref saw the incident and gave a red card. I don’t think there will be any willingness from the authorities to say it was an error, and Mac will sit it out for three games.

I hope I’m wrong, but that’s what I expect will happen.

Now for the tin foil hat part of my post:

Arguably our appeal will damage us in the long run, in terms of getting equitable treatment from the refs. I very much get the sense that a few of them are itching to smack down their authority, when it comes to LFC. They want compliant teams who will not speak up. We are not that, either in terms of referees, or in terms of higher up with oil cheats.

We are inconvenient to the authorities, at various levels, and because of that, I sense a collective rolling of the eyes, “It’s the cheeky bloody scousers again, let’s keep them in line.”

2 Likes