Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 19/8/23 3pm)

The 1st 15 mins was diabolical. Bournemouth high pressed us and we couldn’t get the bal out due to horrific passing decissions by VVD mostly and others.
I mean if you are icapable of playing the ball out from the back just hoof it into touch and start again!

We’re not coached to just hoof it upfield or out of play though. If we get punished for a sloppy error so be it, that’s the risk we take as more often than not it will pay off.

We weren’t awake for the 15-20mins, that can happen to anyone at any given time…we showed what we’re capable of with 11 or 10 men for the rest of the game.

2 Likes

I don’t normally respond to nonsense but just out of curiosity who, in your opinion, are the ‘top 6’?

4 Likes

Yes, that’s my point. There’s enough compelling data there to suggest that referees make lots of errors against us, intentional or otherwise.

Unless it’s a proper, controlled study…

We do not seem to be coached to use any intelligence either, so be it.
I mean a team known for it’s high press can not pass out of a high press or high press for that matter.

Disagree. That is a textbook example of giving it away in situations that are ok and set you up wit it back quickly. you may prefer for us to maintain possession but that is not what Juergen talks about with losing possession in bad times

2 Likes

After we conceded we shut the game down and worked our way back into it. The idea we were bad up until we scored is just a symptom of the stress of being 1-0 down.

We were the better team for 85 minutes and after we equalised it wasn’t even a contest.

7 Likes

Yes but that one time Bournemouth sliced through our midfield and defense like a very hot knife through warm butter sticks in my mind!

From what some posters say, It’s like saying Bournemouth aren’t allowed to have some good productive minutes at all.

6 Likes

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

It’s always been like this. If the opposition have any time on the ball beyond a kick off its seen as a failure no matter what we do. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes he said it was not a red card but didn’t agree with the penalty decision as soft

We were okay for 60 minutes and were leading till the red card. We ran them ragged after even with 10 men and could have scored one or two more too. They had a couple of speculative shots which Ally did well to save as all teams do when they are chasing the equalizer.

1 Like

No, what it is is some think we should look competent in a game against Bournemouth at home!

Pretty sure questioning a fellow forum member’s allegiance is a fuck off somewhere else offence. Should be.

1 Like

We certainly need to start better against Newcastle, they may not allow us to grow into a game the same way Bournemouth did.

3 Likes

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

1 Like

We’ve been guilty in the past in not starting games well. That’s something that should change.

It depends how you wanna quantify that intelligence, I’d say it was quite high after the red card as we chose not to sit back but to go again and try get the 3rd…which is what we did and then we managed the game well after that.

Us trying to play our way out of Bournemouth’s press isn’t a case of using intelligence or not because it’s what we’re coached to do thus it’d be unintelligent to not try play our way out as we’d be going against the manager’s desire.

The only way we’re gonna improve this is by doing it over and over again unless you think the tactics and style Klopp uses needs to change, in which case that’d make for an entirely different argument.

1 Like

Its also worth pointing out that Bournemouth’s manager is reputed for his fast, attacking style. They’ll catch a few cold this season.

2 Likes

Quite a lot of teams throw a hail mary at the start hoping to catch us offguard. Is it something we can improve ? Sure , We can. And we’ve had matches where we started strongly as well. Something that needs to be worked out in training. It might be the case of us trying to tire them out so that we take advantage later. That’s what City does as well. But one - off individual brainfades are just that. Not likely to be repeated again. Better get those brainfades against teams like Bournemouth rather than the stronger teams.