Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 19/8/23 3pm)

Jurgen has already said that playing for 30mins in the heat with 10 men, is punishment enough

3 Likes

Undeserved punishment. The 3 match ban is adding on to that.

It wasnt a red card offense. Barely a yellow card one.

2 Likes

It’s a better explanation than arguing that all referees and the authorities are corrupt/biased against us

1 Like

I agree with all of that. It was never a red. And Klopp’s comments about punishment enough are on the record. Our appeal is more than justified.

The issue is what will happen next?

I will be pleasantly surprised if the appeal is fruitful. I said what I think will happen above, as well as a very difficult to prove overall sense that we are inconvenient to the authorities at various levels, and won’t get equitable treatment any time soon.

Last weeks game between Man utd and Wolves the ref seen the incident between keeper and attacker but didn’t give a peno.Same type of situation here with us.He seen an incident and made a judgement.

The PGMOL apologised for the mistake made by the ref in that game but there was nothing they could do as the game was over and as such a peno couldn’t then be given.
I don’t see why they can’t come to the similar conclusion here and apologise for their mistake.Acknowledging the mistake has happened would/should also lead to and overturning of the red card,

3 Likes

In this case the ref saw it but from behind the players. I can appreciate that he may have seen a player going in hard with studs up but that isn’t what happened when seen side on. VAR should have let him see it again but didn’t. I think it’s a fair appeal and I imagine PMGOL don’t want an ongoing row over this.

I just hope that they don’t take it out on the on-pitch officials as I think they were let down by the VAR.

1 Like

Well it’s a different explanation. Not better.

It was after the City game at Anfield last year when the City goal got ruled out for a foul on Fabinho by Harland all the media bollox was letting gane flow.

Here is the link for anyone interested.

8 Likes

VAR has never been used in that way, but under Webb we’ve seen them move even further away from the idea of using VAR as a crutch. He seems to want to limit its use, or at least its impact on games, even more so it’s only getting involved in the absolute clangers. The problem is a clanger is partly defined on how badly it affects your team. So, if we are moving further towards it being used less often, that probably does open the door to a manager’s challenge sort of system.

This was a wrong decision and vanishingly few people seem ok with it. VAR as used now just isnt designed to address it but I cannot believe that if he had the chance to have just gone for another look, and had the VAR in his ear saying “that was really harsh, you probably should downgrade it” that a reasonable person would have stuck with their original decision.

4 Likes

I was under the impression that it was made with the following in mind by him.

My first big match and I’m not afraid to show a red for a Liverpool player at Anfield.

Fucking hate him already …

3 Likes

Also of note, he was one of only one or two refs last season in the Prem to not overturn his original decision when called to the monitor by VAR. He only had about 5 games as well, so he got around to that milestone pretty fucking quickly. Given that I think questions of whether he is reffing in a way to make his mark are totally fair game.

4 Likes

Who said all authorities or referees?
Thats not a fair assessment of the argument.
And you won’t be able to explainn reasonably why Salah gets kicked around wothout consequence.

Before the match on Saturday it was said that given who was on VAR that we would be fucked over.
And we were.

1 Like

So, there is data/figures that are there to be torn assunder/questioned/disputed.
But they are there.
And even allowing Tomkins the occasionalred tinted view, this is serious.

I see Klopp’s point as it’s a little bit silly to be singing it early in the match when the game is there to be won. You’d get booed singing YNWA earlier than the last 30 second of the match, because YNWA is sung almost as a celebratory song. That’s how the Klopp song should be viewed by fans. Singing about anything during the match should be as a tool to power the team on as the 12th man, not to celebrate before the match is completed.

4 Likes

I think this one has been done to death. Salah, for whatever reason, stays on his feet, and Grealish goes down by an opposition player’s slipstream. There is a massive portion of incompetence with referees rewarding a reaction to contact rather than refereeing on the fouls themselves, and there’s an argument to be had that if you can’t beat them, join them.

Jota is a good example of a player who is clever at drawing fouls and being regularly rewarded for them.

2 Likes

Trent was tightly marked by two Bournemouth players for the goal we conceded. Passing to him there is asking for trouble and doing him no favours at all.

Because you would assume that fouling stat you mentioned would show regression to the mean if it were only a couple of crooked referees, and the rest are fair.

You say that every week tbf

I think Tierney has a personal vendetta against Klopp and should never ref our games again. Of the rest I think there is huge general incompetence, exacerbated by their use of VAR. It’s not just our games where they are shit, and some of the lower teams seem worst affected. The refereeing in women’s World Cup was far better than PL.

Not going to keep rehearsing these arguments. Just can’t see how any widespread bias/corruption is feasible

1 Like

Well its been explained enough, so I am not going to change your mind.

I don’t complain every week btw, thats another generalisation to bracket people.
Anyway, I respect the majority of what you say so lets not fall out over it.

When Salah does go down, he gets called a diver and still doesnt get the foul :see_no_evil:

1 Like