Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 31/1/24 8.15pm)

That’s what I would do, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’m not convinced Robbo is ready for a full 90 minutes yet.

4 Likes

Burnley looks like the game to bring back Trent and Robbo to find their match fitness. We can cope with them being a little rusty in that one.

For Arsenal we have to ask them to go again. It would be very harsh to drop Bradley. Two consecutive MOTM performances, goals, assists, and playing with unbelievable maturity and assurance. Gomez is also in the form of his career, and adds a touch of defensive solidity to that left hand side, where he has previously done well against Saka.

The only place I can see changes is midfield, and that’s really a question of whether he really wants to get Trent in the team.

6 Likes

And same as Conor, Gomez has pocketed Saka in our last 2 games against Arsenal

3 Likes

A slight, but understandable, concern about Bradley is fatigue.
Not sure he’ll make the 90 mins against Arsenal.

Ps - Sorry, wrong thread

2 Likes

Agreed. But we might need TAA as a backup midfielder(till Endo returns) more than we need him in RB.

He came off on 65 though, a pretty good pointer that Klopp is keeping him back for Arsenal.

2 Likes

As good as Trent is, the Martinelli guy seems to give him a rough time. Lets keep Bradley in the team.
Gomez usually does well vs Saka also.
Klopp will go for:
TAA-Konate-VvD-Joe…I think.

Huh? So Bradley is better against Martinelli but Klopp will Pick TAA?

Excellent performance. Just a pity that we didn’t take all of our chances and it could have been 8 or 9 goals. The lads have really got it together in the last couple of weeks and are looking really sharp. MacAllister has settled in now and looks a great addition. Joe hasn’t put a foot wrong when filling in at left back and Bradley has been outstanding. Klopp will be scratching his head who he will pick for Sundays game but it’ll be a nice problem to have.

2 Likes

Think you meant bradley konate vvd gomeZ?

2 Likes

The only time I remember that happening was a game against Crystal Palace in 1989 when we won 9:0. Palace even missed a penalty and weren’t even playing that badly. It was a surreal experience.

In most games we tend to have more chances than we score. That’s just the way of it: A goal in the net is worth more than the chances in the Kop.

1 Like

Well, it’s not really a fact, it’s what I think. Klopp might think differently, that’s all I’m saying.
To clarify: I would go for:
Bradley-Konate-VvD-Joe
Klopp, I think will go for:
TAA-Konate-VvD-Joe.

https://twitter.com/Davolaar/status/1753013893759132150

poor kid, feel for him

4 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t think the first was enough to be a penalty for Chelsea, the second was but the triple lutz from Nkunku on the way down lost him it. If he had gone down more naturally the ref would have been much more likely to give it.

1 Like

Both the Gallagher one early on and the Nkunku one later had genuine contact which is sufficient to give the ref a reason to see a foul. But contact is supposed to have a material impact on the attacker being able to play the ball for a foul so you cannot just say there was contact so its a foul. In my view neither of these were, but we see loads of consequential fouls given every week for such trivial contact. So to me neither were fouls but they were also both ones that had they have given no one would have had sympathy for our complaints.

The Chillwell one though? Fuck him.

5 Likes

Brilliant game to watch. They just absolutely could not live with us. I doubt Arsenal will make life that easy for us, but I do fancy us to win it :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Plastics not even interested in him…cmon mum n dad…complain.

2 Likes

Conor Bradley looks very assured on the ball defensively and effective in winning challenges. You rarely see him get skinned where TAA will get skinned by better wingers. Offensively, in open play, he is not much different from the TAA that burst onto the scene a few years ago.

Now, what is TAA gonna do now? What does he think is his best position?

TAA can be quite defensively lackadasical at time though.

If he is playing DM, he is not displacing Macca anytime soon as Macca’s positioning is pretty good despite being slower than TAA. Macca’s passing is no slouch as well.

As for displacing Endo, Endo is pretty good in breaking up opposition offensive moves whereby it is not TAA’s strength.

As for RCM, his only real competition is Szoboszlai but Szoboslai is also pretty good in his offensive positioning too and has a good long shot as well.

The only thing that TAA has over his competitors is his set-pieces which Szoboszlai can do corners to a certain degree.

If he wants to be a DM/CM, he needs to model his game like Thiago and Macca. Both of them are fierce tacklers with good pressing ethics and can vary their passes acccurately, be it vertical through passes or switching diagonals. Both have very good defensive positioning as well.

If he wants to be a RB, perhaps he should take a lesson or two by watching how Conor Bradley acts in defensive transitions, how Bradley effectively win tackles, how Bradley positions himself to deal with tricky wingers.

In short, TAA needs to get back to ground soonish or risk being the next Marcus Rashford. If the recent good performance of Conor Bradley, Dominik Szoboszlai ,Alexis Macallister and Wataru Endo doesn’t lit a fire under TAA’s ass, I fear we might never get to see the full potential of TAA.

1 Like

Re the penalty’s…spot on and I thought exactly the same.

1 Like