Post match: Liverpool v Everton (EPL 13/2/23 8pm)

Who beat the number 1 team in their last game

3 Likes

Carragher I might have been too quick to judge Gakpo :grinning:
No Jamie your just a knob.

2 Likes

thank u

If Hendo can deliver what he did tonight our CM should be ok until the summer.

2 Likes

On the plus side he was better defensively because of the support offered by Bajcetic and Henderson.

It’s little steps with him right now tbh

1 Like

Melo yet to come back. :shushing_face:

Stefan helped centrally and it did at times feel like 4 2 2 2 in posession with Hendo higher and Cody dropping back as well and then defensively 4 3 3

You have to take your positives where you can.

Obviously it has been a dog turd of a season so far, for lots of reasons. And after the World Cup break we were all hoping we would regroup and go after the top four.

It didn’t happen, and we hadn’t won a game since then… until today.

Winning the derby is always good. But this had a bit more to it. We actually started to look a bit more like a team again, and we showed some hunger and desire. On top of that, we are witnessing the early emergence of a young lad in midfield who looks like he will be a star for us for years to come.

It wasn’t perfect, but in the context, it has put a spring in our step again.

Love it!

6 Likes

Yup, secret weapon as well considering we left him out of the CL side :wink:

Top 4 secret weapon of mass destruction. :grinning:

1 Like

The miracle of English football! :rofl:

I had English speaking commentators on my stream, they were saying how Liverpool would need to win alltheir remaining matches to secure 4th. A little later on just to rub it in they piped up that if Liverpool did that they would be on 83 points … long silence … yeah! well the last few seasons they have been finishing near, on, over 90 points. Conclusion that’s no good …

2 Likes

Way I see it is this:

Positives:
We looked like a team
Played like we can
Had plenty of good chances and finished two
Number of players didn’t resemble what we had seen.
A lot of the issues are confidence led I feel.

Negatives
It’s Everton

Positives
They beat Arsenal last week
Wolves aren’t massively better
It was the Merseyside Derby
We achieved the same result this time last year and it was a team going for all four :wink:

Negatives
I had to watch Everton play

Positives
We beat them

7 Likes

New manager bounce has not lasted very long has it :0)

Dyche isn’t much fun to be honest! :rofl:

I thought he would have spent time clearing his throat.

Posted at 22:3522:35

‘I saw a real unit tonight’

FT: Liverpool 2-0 Everton

Liverpool

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp tells Sky Sports: "The atmosphere was outstanding, I am in love with my crowd and what they did tonight, it was special and was extremely helpful - the boys paid it back. It was a real derby and we played a game we wanted to play, not a game Everton wanted to.

"We kept the ball, working the sides and stayed patient. We got in behind their line. I saw a real unit tonight, everyone was really fighting and we scored from two sensational counter-attacks. Tonight we were there and that has to be the sign for us what we have to do. We probably had 70% possession and scored from two counters, that makes it special.

"Last week the first ball came in, deflection and goal. Yes, it was the biggest difference from other games but the performance of the full game was the best for a while. We will take wins when you don’t play well but much better to get three points when you deserve it and today we deserved it.

"A massive relief. You never know when you are going to do it next. Whatever the crowd asked me I would have done except for getting rid of my clothes.

“I really think - and you don’t want to be in difficult situations - the way you behave defines the future. This club has been through worse things but we are the club who can show who can deal with difficult moments. I enjoyed each second of the game.”

On performance of Stefan Bajcetic: “I saw a lot of good performances tonight but Stefan showed up. We are really happy with him, a top boy, really smart and calm. He played in a new position, at eight, and I asked him afterwards if he liked it and he said yes. It is a nice story.”

:0))

7 Likes

Doesn’t matter, it’s the manner we went about our business. Our intention, our methods, our desire.

3 Likes

First real sign of the role Gakpo will play in this team.
Those turns and breakaway/change of pace runs in the middle were quite impressive.
This is a very intelligent player…

6 Likes

Yep, becoming evident Klopp wants him in that central position taking over from Bobby in the long run…we just have to buy into that even though it may not what we want right now. There’s no doubt he can adapt and play his part, all we can really do is watch on as he develops.

Could we switch into a 4231 with Gakpo as the #10 when Luis is back? Who knows.

1 Like

Thank goodness, what a fantastic win against the Bitters. What a relief for all us Reds. I was dreading this match, as we have been so abysmal in the last so many months.
Bajcetic was magnificent tonight and so glad Mo got his goal scoring mojo back. Perhaps, Bajcetic is the key to solve our midfield problems.

This is just the beginning of getting back on track. Well done Redmen. It is so nice to see Jurgen’s white teeth again and in good spirits. At least his grumpiness is on hold for now, until a journalist winds him up with an irrevelant question.

Its been 46 days since we last won a match, so it has been a long time coming. I am not getting excited too quickly though.

12 Likes