Post match: Liverpool v Inter Milan (UCL 8/3/22 8pm)

My post can certainly be filed under ‘Useless nonsense SBYM posted’.

It’s a large file.

And we’re still gonna win this fucker.

Robbo has been like that for two seasons. Always gives 100% but cannot beat the first man with 90% off his passes.

Champions League Lol GIF by Liverpool FC

3 Likes

Having slept on it I just checked, and yes, we are through to the last 8, job done!

Another day we win 3-1 on the night. Finishing not quite sharp enough. It happens. At least now we have some players to shuffle the pack up front and keep the level high as we play through it.

Sanchez deserved to go. Didn’t watch any punditry, but they aren’t renowned for their insight. Sanchez was sliding in all night and leaving his studs up. The Thiago one alone could easily have been a red.

Martinez is a good player for them. So is Skriniar. A few others too. They are a good team. Cynical with it too. And the ref was all over the place.

So alls well that ends well. Through to QF. Regroup for Brighton, and the sharpness will return.

1 Like

Your one of the ones I was less “wtf” about, 538 is really odd for cups I feel. Especially on a game like yesterday.

If I’m totally honest I reckon we deserved to win yesterday but Inter deserved the first leg as for the width of the post the game is comfortable. Having read his book I can see how some of that factors in but not a lot.

That’s a pipe dream in my opinion. We are always harsher on ourselves than other teams.

Every team has periods in a game where they lose control or the opposition does something well. These are top sides full of the best professional football players in the world, they’re capable of doing some good things.

Also I’d argue we did stamp it out. After they scored they barely touched the ball, of course then having a man sent off helped that a lot, but we completely took the sting out the game. I know lots of people were panicking about our meaningless home won record but the players were more “professional” than that. We were 2-1 up against 10 men and they just passed the ball until the final whistle went.

That’s a top side.

11 Likes

Exactly this.

Granted, not everyone is a student of the game, but they can easily listen to Klopp, who is very candid in his post match interviews, and outlines this time and time again.

You’re right.

Again, Klopp in all his post match interviews mentioned the deliberate control we did to manage the game after the sending off. Textbook keep ball, still probing, but showing nous that we were just shepherding the game at that point.

8 Likes

This 100%.
Too much needless panic in a match that aside from a super goal we were in control.
We had a lot of very decent chances to out it to bed, but we never looked like a panic stricken team when the goals weren’t coming.

1 Like

:rofl:

Sanchez was probably paying tribute to his former club Arsenal by getting sent off on English soil.
Ever since Mikel Arteta’s appointment in north London, no club in the Premier League has seen more sending-offs than the Gunners.

(via article on dickhead Schmeichel arguing that no card should be give to Sanchez)

5 Likes

Here’s another post, from the Norwich game. I’ve yet to see you back up your “claim” with a post game post of mine.

Considering your historic excellence of posting especially around youth football, I’m massively surprised to see you peddling social media type false band wagonisms.

1 Like

I think it’s also worth mentioning, when considering our recent ‘slump’ in performance (if you want to call it that) that the weather here in Liverpool has been shite over the last couple of weeks and we’ve played a lot of games at Anfield.

I was at the Norwich league game and the pitch looked terrible before kickoff, all cut up. I haven’t been to any since but I can’t imagine it has improved with another 4 games on it in 2 and a half weeks. It’s also been very, very windy in general over that whole time period as well as pretty wet and cold.

9 Likes

I think I referenced that last night the pitch doesn’t look great and I was wondering about the wind on Saturday as WHU looked dangerous in the first half but ineffective in the second regarding the high line.

High line was fine last night mind, Arsenal and Brighton are usually decent so I guess we will see. I don’t think we were particularly bad last night mind, I think we were better than against West Ham.

3 Likes

I did notice that actually, any reason? The pitch is usually one of the best in the game.

I’m no groundsman, and wether the pitch caused it or not…but I did notice last night that Sadio , Robbo and a few others were slipping on the KD stand side near kop corner…I thought they needed better studs,but it could’ve been pitch or watering…I’m sure someone will enlighten us…

2 Likes

The opposition are playing on the same pitch though. Unless you’re playing Stoke on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke, not entirely sure the weather argument ever holds water (every pun intended).

Of course it does.

We’ve been better than the opposition (by a distance) in every one of those games so I don’t see your point. You just can’t play your best football in gale force winds on a waterlogged pitch.

1 Like

Its a leveller surely. The worse the conditions the better it is for the underdog.

4 Likes

Our recent slump include winning out last 8 PL games, advancing in the FA cup, winning the kangaroo cup, and advancing to the Champions League quarter finals.

As a fan, I hope this slump continues forever.

8 Likes

Actually it is not rare for Jones to motm or close to it despite the fact he usually gets taken off after an hour. It has been interesting to watch his skill level, and controlled aggression improve over the season . Work rate has always been good and his positional sense is now of a high level.
IMO the problem was that he and Thiago is not the best balanced combination especially when Fab is a bit below par.

1 Like

7 Likes