Post match: Liverpool v Leicester (EPL 10/2/22 7.45pm)

Good thing we made it 2-0 then isn’t it pal :blush:

Yeah I meant for most of the game.

Can’t have enjoyed a section of play in a game that was 1-0 at the time as much as tonight.

Leicester did nothing despite what Chris Kavangh was offering them.

4 Likes

Now, what did I say…An Elliot-Thiago-Fabinho trio in the midfield will surprise a lot of people in terms of defensive solidity and creative output!

5 Likes

I couldn’t watch, but I have read comments and “soaked” in the game. Fascinated by what I read about Diaz !!!

1 Like

Watched a recording with my lad after work. Three points, decent game.

Leicester gave it their all. The frauds. Had they played anywhere close to that against Forest they would still be in the cup. We had too much for them, even if the ref blew his whistle and gave them a free kick any time we went near. I was also counting, and we were awarded one for kick for every four handballs they did, and the free kick we did get was in the center circle.

We were pretty good all over the park. Not our best, but a decent level after the break.

Jota was very good. Sharp for his goals. Diaz was bright as a button too. He looks like he has a big future here. He almost got his goal but that will come. He had the beating of the defender with ease, which augurs well. He also made some good runs and got stuck in. It will be nice to watch him grow here.

The subs we made weren’t too bad! Salah and Elliott. Salah wanted a goal and almost scored with that lovely curled effort. Elliott added some thrust from midfield that was missing, and he also gave it simple and kept it ticking over as needed.

The red machine is firing up again after a break. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the season will bring.

7 Likes

K Schmeichel did well in the one v one against Salah. Then Amartey completely wipes out Salah from behind (after the shot). This is an obvious yellow, but it’s Salah, so of course, nothing.

6 Likes

Leicester did not play badly but we were boss. My Motm was Fabinho, he was everywhere, controlling dangerous situations all over the pitch. Robbo was also good - looking forward to his and Luis’ partnership on our left flank. Btw, although Matip assisted with our 2nd goal, the pass to him by Luis from the byline again showed Luis’ tenacity. He was an absolute pest to Leicester!
Up the reds!

5 Likes

I’m not getting the Leicester played well calls. They were absolutely battered in every single metric that we use bar the scoreline. Shots conceded in the mid twenties compared to 5 for on goal for them, 11 shots on target conceded compared to just 1 on target for them (and I think that was going wide tbh), they had 35% possession, played 300 passes less…

I get that it can be tough at Anfield but that’s a shellacking.

8 Likes

I think you’re bang on the money with this. I was one to comment on his dwelling on the ball in the pre match thread. Unfortunately that trait can lead to losing the ball in dangerous areas so is an easy and obvious error to point out.

Being a young addition to the squad he probably felt he had a lot to prove and wanted to highlight his ball skills. Just needs to learn it doesnt always have to look pretty.

1 Like

Really pleased to see how solid and in control we were. It’s been a rare occurrence this season. Leicester never looked like scoring and in the few occasions they threatened, it only came about from silly mistakes on our part.

Diogo Jota continues to amaze. He came as a supposed backup that was slated to fill in for one of top three when necessary and he has turned into a predator that often needs one touch to score. He’s got something like 30 goals in 60 appearances. It hasn’t been stated openly but he’s one of the best finishers in Europe. Another masterstroke of a transfer by Edwards and co.

Jones on the other hand, keeps frustrating with his proclivity to dwell on the ball, but that’s a long way from saying that he’ll be gone in 2 years. It’s not as if he hasn’t had some fantastic performances not that long ago. He needs to kill his inner Lallana but even if he doesn’t, he’ll still be a valuable squad option.

6 Likes

Just watched the game after travelling 8 hours and luckily never heard the result, thought we had some stellar performances, Jota - next level, Virg just a beast, Fab & Thiago look great together hunting the ball and Diaz looked top drawer in every facet.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, the Salah 1 v 1, why wasn’t a penalty awarded, he was taken out after the shot by Amartey, anywhere else on the pitch that is a foul, just gobsmacked no commentator or pundit mentioned it???

5 Likes

Its the same Transfer Committee in place now as when Brendan was in charge. Maybe we now have a Manager who embraces the philosophy rather than working against it, or maybe it just took a bit of time for the committee to master their craft.

Either way the transfer committee that was once used as a stick to poke us with by pundits and opposing fans is now looked on with envy.

3 Likes

Problem with Bodgers at the time was he never seemed to have a system for a way he wanted the team to play…
So that in itself made it difficult for any committee to identify for future players…

I find it brilliant Bodgers still can’t defend corners, yet regularly blamed the players he had for it here. That’s why he’s an average coach… His ego won’t let him think he needs help in that area.

6 Likes

It’s the one area (ok fuck there are many others) I wish the refs were more consistent on. I am not upset that an onfield ref might not be able to be consistent in the heat of the moment, but the fact that VAR almost randomly decides whether to have a look and pay these types of penalties is ridiculous.

Either pay them or don’t pay them. If contact after the ball is released constitutes a penalty, then it’s a penalty. If it’s not, it’s not. But as one example we’ve seen Robbo get punished against Welbeck and last night’s one got nothing.

Consistency is seriously fucking lacking.

3 Likes

Yeah I want to see that again to be honest.

Initial thought was Salah got his shot away so nothing but that really isn’t the way the rules work. Plus I was more worried for Salah. That looked painful. The one replay I saw it looked deliberate as he had no chance of getting anywhere near the ball.

But I do want to see it again

1 Like

Definitely a problem for them. I can’t remember a game where VvD got the first header in from the many that we lobbed in there.

Jota clearly MotM but a very good all round display. I thought this comment at the bottom of the Guardian’s report sums it up nicely:

I like how Liverpool’s ‘flair players’ are basically ‘all of Liverpool’s players’.

Even Alisson made a save so sexy it got my girlfriend pregnant.

And I don’t even have a girlfriend.

It was interesting seeing a Diaz-Jota-Salah front three for a while. Whilst I can see Diaz and Mane being fairly interchangable I think Jota is a different type of player to Firmino and I suspect we may have to tweek the midfield to account for that.I’m curious as Klopp’s preference for the Milan game.

6 Likes

Late challenge = freekick anywhere on the pitch, unless the ball has gone out if play before the contact, therefore in the penalty area it should be a penalty as the ball was still in play, shocking reffing and VAR

1 Like

Really? I thought Diaz was a forward
Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

1 Like