Post-Match: Liverpool v Midtjylland (UCL 27/10/20 8pm)

If we get any more injuries at the back we will end up with Henderson and Gini as our CB pairing.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I didn’t like them high fiving each other after ploughing through one of our players,that’s some real fucking dickhead shit.

17 Likes

Three points, top of the group. We all know we have a much, much better performance level to reach, but until it comes the key is digging deep and picking up points.

We’ve been crap so far this season, by and large, and we have had a lot of adversity to overcome with key injuries, Covid and VAR.

And we are top of the CL group and joint top, on points at least, in the Prem.

Much better is to come, and in the meantime we are battling. Gutted about Fabinho, hopefully he won’t be out for long. Rhys Williams looks to have jumped to the head of the queue for the young center backs. Made up for the lad. Hopefully he will get a chance to build on this.

9 Likes

That.was.not.an.enjoyable.match. Worse, we lost Fabinho. Let’s hope that it was just precaution that he came off. Rhys did decent enough job in an overall forgettable match.

Like someone marked down during the pre-match, Big Div and Taki were going to take a lot of criticism. Big Div, while he managed to get into several good attacking position, he kept his head down and tried to dribble all the time, ignoring that there are team mates around him. While Taki, to my massive disappointment, simply could not control any of the ball near him. Sigh. TBH, Doogo outing was nothing to write home about until he scored our club’s 10,000 goals.

The entire team, with the exception of TAA and Shaq, was so flat and lack of energy. Sadio and Mo worked hard when they came on, and Sadio injected some work ethics from our attackers (he came on, and immediately came back to intercept a pass).

Again, the match was so forgettable that I have already forgotten much of the match…but I do remember how lucky that we were not 0-1 behind at the beginning of the match, or got scored on just before the end of the match after Bobby missed a sitter.

Here are my 3 picks:

1. TAA - One of the sharper night after a lot of the criticism that he received recently. One time I thought that he was going to shoot when he danced into the box. Wonderful assist to Diogo for the goal. A great forward ball to Mo that ended up with a pen.

2. Shaq - Surprised that he played the full match, but his effort was a welcome sight. I do not think Midtjylland threatened us enough for him to cover defensively.

3. Rhys - Once again, got thrown into a tight CL match that we cannot really afford to draw, or worse lose. The youngster kept thing simple enough, nothing fancy, just cleared the ball when needed.

12 Likes

Though Shaq showed some good work rate and passing, Minamino and Origi, brrrrrrrrrr.

Williams was my MotM too, did his job did not try to do something fancy.

5 Likes

Seen this type of performance a million times in Europe. Job done, save energy. Thought they were dirty, difference to EPL the ref showed some yellows(deserved) and they had to calm down.
TAA’s passing was sublime.
Minamino flatters to deceive, looks busy does nothing of substance. Origi waste of time. Love him, love some moments he’‘s provided but rather have sold him and kept Brewster and I don’ t think Brewster is all that.
As regards those saying we can’t play that midfield against the top teams, we won’t. We never have before, so why would we start now? "That would be insane.
Klopp picked a team for this game. It was awful quality but we won. That’s what matters.

3 Likes

It was lack lustre performance, but we got the valuable 3 points which all that matters and we have got abit of a breather to qualify for the next stage of Champions league.
I am worried about Fabinho, looking very thin at the back. We cannot afford any more injuries tbh.

Shaqiri was brilliant when the front 3 came on, which is a huge plus for us. Jota is going to be a huge influencer in our forthcoming games.

All in all, an important win.

13 Likes

I like Williams as MOTM, as it’s important to note the context. Trent was good, which was pleasing to see as he had been slightly iffy but he is playing his way back to form and would probably be MOTM. However, the context of having a young lad like Williams coming in and holding his own, playing decent, giving it simple, clearing it… these are the basics that could prove to be a first step in a very interesting journey.

So yes, the young kid gets MOTM for me.

3 Likes

Great for your arse muscles all the twitching watching us playing for ninety minutes,who doesn’t love a nicely toned arse.

3 Likes

I have often thought of you as fake bourgeois. But then I did a quick search of this little wine you mentioned:

The 1985 was the magazine’s Wine of the Year in 1988. Today it shows loads of fruit, with blackberry, licorice and fresh herb character. Full, round and velvety. Long and delicious.

If you have another bottle, Friday is @Scott.Jones’ birthday. We can crack it open.

Nice review again.

7 Likes

Think it’s kind of harsh to be so down on the performance in the circumstances even though it wasn’t great.

We’ve one fit centre back and have been leaking goals. We’ve changed formation to try and address issues and personnel gaps and we rotated our main front three out. And then we’re forced into a change at CB, bringing on an inexperienced kid and we may have subbed the captain at half time due to injury too (not yet heard the reason for that change.)

All this on the back of playing the late game Saturday and midweek the week before too with very little time to actually train in this new formation. And yet we still won, with a clean sheet and none of the front three played more than half an hour.

Lots to work on and not much time between games to do it. But we’ve also got a lot of good players still to come back into the squad. It’s going to be a grind of a season rather than the precession it was last year. Priority is points not prettiness right now.

12 Likes
14 Likes

BT Sports was showing that Mo limped off into the changing room during the post match show. Hope that was nothing.

1 Like

Looked like his ankle or upper foot on the tackle leading to the pen.

3 Likes
5 Likes

He’ll be fine. BT Sports are just loving our injury problems, just like like the rest of the media.

3 Likes

Win’s a win. Shocking though it sounds, I actually thought we played better than we did against Sheffield United. At least there seemed to be a positive game plan for much of tonight, even if the finishing often left something to be desired. Trent was bombing up and asking a lot of questions. Jota again quality. He needs to be starting games regularly for the foreseeable.

As for CB… I’m confident Fab will be back and he’ll continue to form the main pairing, but am I right in saying Matip might be back for West Ham?

1 Like

Mo had the back of his heel trod on,clumsy as fuck some of the tackles going in on us.

9 Likes

Origi has one last chance to save his career. Become a central defender overnight.

11 Likes