Post Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid (UCL 14/4/21 8pm)

We need new personnel up top or someone tricky in midfield to break down low block teams.
We just go left and right and back and forth and end up doing nothing.
I know it’s not fifa for xbox but I’d have wholesale changes. This team look shot. Klopps ran them into the ground.

2 Likes

Ultimately, we’ve lost to Real Madrid. There’s never any shame there as good though we are, they’re literally in a different league and we all know we’re just having a shite season.

2 Likes

I thought he was auditioning for Westlife reunion tonight.

1 Like

Under Rafa, that first leg would’ve finished 0-0. So finding the net in the first game of two legs is not the be all and end all.

We lost this tie because of the first leg performance. I still maintain that today’s performance was good bar the finishing.

And the impact of the poor finishing was compounded because of the the first leg.

That was meant to be Keïta, but he’s always injured.

So then we got Thiago, but he has been… underwhelming.

5 Likes

Hes too slow.
I really wanted him here but he’s been nothing short of a disaster.

3 Likes

We have a ‘non-scoring’ midfield one of the problems

We’re not going to break down teams just by someone being ‘tricky’ in midfield, we need to utilise the wide areas properly. We are basically relying on one player at the moment (Trent) to provide any sort of quality from those positions. Teams like City, Bayern, PSG have 4 or 5 who use those positions dangerously.

3 Likes

Milner, Fabs and Firmino looked good yet were either pushed back or subbed, crazy!
We can not score so needed to take a risk yet we took all our muscle out of the game, handed it to them imo.
Anyway same old problem since losing VVD can not score so can not win!
Just a bit depressed, we created enough but fuck me how can a team chasing be sooo wasteful?

1 Like

I think it’s the utterly insane rhythm of matches this season which has done the job on them, rather than Klopp himself. There isn’t enough energy in the tank to sustain our usually energetic style of football. Because of it, we’ve lost a few percents, and they make the whole difference in the end.

5 Likes

Andy makes me chuckle at times. He took three touches to try to get the ball under control, and yet during that time, he still progressed about 30 metres and ended up in an advanced good position.

1 Like

The Fans not being there excuse is getting real old. These players get paid big bucks to do a job and that’s to win! Regardless of fans or no fans, that’s the bottom line! We’re our worst enemy in our inability to play quality football this season!

2 Likes

We dominated midfield today but we still aren’t threatening from midfield. I do feel we need a energetic, pacy midfielder who can go past his man to draw out their defenders and change the shape of a packed defence. Whether there is a player like that at a price we can afford I wouldn’t know.

I do agree we need to be able to change the way we attack, if there is no space in behind we become lost and the movement becomes lacking which is needed alongside quick interplay to get through a packed defence. For me that is what Thiago was bought for, a better vertical pass into feet but, then it is having the players and movement to take advantage of these passes.

Please drop Robertson, Wijnaldum and Mane against Leeds.

3 Likes

Why couldn’t we just play the Arsenal match formation again?

You think he’d notice when you hide it in that text tower…

2 Likes

Since Coutinho eloped and Ox got his injury, this has always been the case. We switched to a functioning more than sum of parts midfield, to support our forwards and push on the full backs.

With the CB injuries, and personal changes moving to defence or injured (such as Henderson), this functional unit has stuttered and whereas not scoring was not a problem in a well oiled midfield of previous seasons.

And with Ox, Keita, Shaq et al doing nothing, we end up with a non scoring midfield which I agree is a problem.

1 Like

Our best performance and not been used since?

Klopp his usual engaging self. Pissed like we all are but now we push for 4th. Good.

1 Like

Damn, we would have won the Champions League that season with him staying until the end of the season. I never forgive him because of that.