Post Match: Liverpool v Shrewsbury (FAC 9/1/22 2pm)

Jones was ineffective first half, helped shore up the midfield in the second, not his best performance but not bad. Morton grew jnto the game as it went on.

The youngsters showed their youth. None of them were appalling but none of them made a statement of intent.

Again training can throw stuff, we often here Managers going on about not getting the time on the training ground, yes we have almost a proper backline but the side is half the youngsters.

Anyhow good to hear TAA is expected to be back for Arsenal especially as Neco was absent.

Assume Hendo, Jota, Becker and others were simply not risked.

Wouldn’t be against using Kaide Gordon as a striker option in the next month.

1 Like

It was dull but effective. A bit like watching City in the Prem. We’d clearly been told to play within ourselves and keep the ball. Their goal woke us up and Gordon took his well. Other than that there wasn’t much to get excited about until Bobby came on.

3 Likes

To be fair to everyone, we shouldn’t have expected much more. The manager and assistant have been isolating, the training ground has been shut, a handful of those on the pitch have been isolating. In hindsight it was always going to be a disjointed performance, they’re far from the ideal conditions for producing good football.

6 Likes

He’s not played for over a month, going to be rusty.

Absolutely, as I say none of them were horrific or anything like that, they were just disjointed. Result was great and the goals were good. I’m a happy bunny personally

2 Likes

Jones infuriated me and Jürgen more in the second half. I’d have given him the exact same hairdryer treatment Klopp did after Curtis left Fab with an almost impossible clear up job near the centre circle which led to Shrewsbury’s clearest break.

Think it was more down to playing on the wing in the first half, he’s better more centrally. Not a bad first game back for him overall

The team as a whole were a lot more stable once he’d moved into the midfield and his running from deep helped create more space and chances for the forwards

I thought that it was also a matter of him and Dixon-Bonner finding a good dynamic together… Dixon-Bonner seemed a little lost at times, and we often saw the two of them interchanging with each other.

1 Like

I think the game is a perfect illustration of the obvious but often underappreciated reality that goals alter narratives.
Shrewsbury’s performance was respectable, but they didn’t offer that much. If you’re going to give a premier league side >80% of the ball, even one full of kids, you cannot complain if they put a good number past you. Even on a day like today where we didn’t get out of 3rd gear.

The goal was very Firmino like the way he took his time in a crowded area, shifted the ball to where he wanted it and then passed it into the goal.

8 Likes

Yeah the ability to make half a yard to get a shot off is top tier level stuff, and at 17 insane really.

2 Likes

I actually thought it was very similar to how Salah would have done it. Absolutely beautiful. I expect to see more of him in the next season and a half, but only in cameos. Looks like a player who doesn’t look too out of place, but can be a passenger at times, which I guess is very typical of a youth player coming through.

Congratulations to Beryl and all the kids from the crèche :smiley::+1:

beryl

4 Likes

Aye, kids who get their chance at this level will invariably have the talent to perform, but will often not have figured out how to force an impact on the game. The chances are at youth and reserve levels they have such talent relative to the other players on the pitch that they can sit back and have the game come to them, and playing with the same mindset when stepping up to this level will see the game just pass them by, even if they make a few nice touches during the period. It’s probably the hardest adaptation for a talented kid in trying to manage the step up.

That’s why I think people writing off some of our players way too premature. For me, it’s always a question not on whether they can impose themselves in the game, but whether they’re a liability and just don’t fit. In that sense, Woodburn kind of got my hopes up again in pre-season when he looked like he was doing better, but I have no idea how he’s doing at Hearts, although they are 3rd in the season, and he’s played most games there so far.

5 Likes

4 Likes

End of the day you can be disjointed in games like this.

Side Klopp picked was right, had the options on the bench.

1 Like

Gordon’s not physically there yet which isn’t surprising given that he’s not long turned 17. Once he gets a bit stronger and fitter he’ll be a real option.

He’s quick enough, has the technical ability and the ability to beat a man, but the thing that stands out is his understanding of where he needs to be, he’s always moving into dangerous areas, and that’s the trait that will probably see him make it at a high level.

Despite him not quite being ready for men’s football it still looks like he finds it easy to get chances, certainly easier than a lot of other players make it look.

3 Likes

From behind with the studs raised. Terrible cowardly challenge - endangerered the opponent more than Robbo’s sending off against Spurs.
Not saying Robbo’s wasn’t a red card, just that this tackle was more dangerous

2 Likes