Post Match: Liverpool v Villarreal (UCL 27/4/22 8pm)

Given both the 2 semi final results, it’s a shame that the away goals rule has been scrapped

3 Likes

Good shout was in my top 3, never put a foot wrong today and long may that continue. Thiago was my motm, although Fab was excellent, but a lot of others that could have been there.

Amazing performance, far better than the result.
Could and should have been at least 3-0.
So 2-0 up at half time, I think it’s a good result but second half will be a completely different game and we need to be in our very best.
Their stadium will be bouncing, they’ll press us much higher all the way, and if they score first then it will be hell and psychology will be turned, they’ll believe it.

If we pass around their press and manage to take advantage of their spaces and score first, we will truly control the tie.
For sure there will be a goal sooner or later, and that goal will be crucial. Hope it’s ours.

Will remain optimistic, but cautious, as we’ve been 3 up in a 90 minute game vs Emeri (probably twice?) and he managed to level. Klopp is a man that learns from things like these, so hopefully he prepares well enough to handle it.

2 Likes

I have no problem with the way Villareal played. The played a defensive low block, and it’s our job to break them down, which we did.

Compare that to how Everton played. Villareal engaged in a wee bit of gamesmanship and time wasting, but nowhere near the level of Everton, who were extremely cynical throughout.

I would be shocked if they beat us, but nothing but positive feelings towards that club and their supporters.

12 Likes
8 Likes

First goal, underrated contribution from Thiago. 1 Shimmy to get out of a tight spot and break their lines. Then 1 outrageous flick inside to set up a really good attacking position. That started with him receiving the ball with his back to goal 10 yards inside their half and 1 touch later…

7 Likes

Good performance ,good result!
Was that a deck chair Ali came out with for the second half?
Anyway MOTM for me Thiago,really looking the goods now!

Thiago MOTM, he was incredible.

Shout out to Diaz who kept going from minute 1 and Konate who just steps in seemingly when called upon and performs everytime.

Nothing better than new signings who settle in straight away.

Villarreal are a more than decent side, they score a lot of goals in La Liga and we kept them to 1 shot.

1 Like

Anyone from Everton notice Salah took a hand to neck in the box and got nothing? Anyone?

14 Likes

Disappointed in Ali … no knotted handkerchief on his head to go with the deckchair tut tut

1 Like

That was awesome. By and large an excellent performance.

First half I thought we were good, but at a level they could deal with. Reminded me of their first half in Munich.

Second half, they couldn’t live with us. Our counter-pressing was unreal. Really made it look like this was a step too far for them.

I know it’s “only” 2-0, but after seeing that last 45 I feel a lot has to go wrong for us to not advance to the final.

4 Likes

Piece of piss.

Was wondering if Becker was in goal or not. Can’t remember if the cameras ever went on that end?

2 Likes

Today was the perfect illustration of what he offers. Their back line was trying so hard not to break under the pressure and while he might not have directly contributed to the goals, he was a driver of that incessant pressure that they eventually succumbed to

3 Likes

I was excited from the get go tonight. Met up with my Nephews and we were saying how we (as a fanbase) might be becoming a bit blasè about how good the times we’re living through with this team is. Then as we’re coming out of the Mersey Tunnel and driving up Our Will sees a plume of red smoke above the horizon in the distance. We got to the ground and the smell of pyro is still in the air. There was an actual buzz all around the area. The Villareal fans played no small part in this. Like the Benfica fans in the last round they came to enjoy the occasion and be friendly. There was a 97 flag in Villareal’s colours displayed in their end when YNWA was being played. The girl who sits next to me told me she was nervous before kick off, I was too. But after about 5 minutes in the nervousness had gone. The Reds meant business and I said to the same girl at half time that I was sure we’d win the 2nd half.
I see from a photo online that Thiago was awarded MOTM. Quite rightly too. But massive shout outs to everyone who stepped on to the pitch tonight. What I saw was a game plan expertly executed.

Half time and all to play for. I’ve seen a couple of comments along the lines of ‘we could have done with a 3rd goal to out the tie to bed’. I’m guessing that around this time 3 years ago Barca were saying “3-0 job done”.
I think that 2-0 will keep us grounded. Remember Roma in 2018? 5-2 ‘job done’ then 2-0, 7-2 on aggregate. Then 7-3, 7-4, 7-5, 7-6. Let’s not have a repeat this year please. My skinny legs can’t take it. :weary: :wink::nerd_face:

22 Likes

Just finished watching it. Excellent display. Thiago, Konate and Diaz for me, but a few others in with a good shout too.

Ideally we would have scored one or two more, but that’s probably a little ridiculous to say, as we are in the semi final of the Champions League. We had a few half chances but it needed a bit of luck to get the breakthrough goal. I held my breath with VAR for the second, but the goal stood.

Towards the end I could see the mental calculation the team was making. Villarreal had subs on and were looking for a goal, as at 2-1 it is game on. We probably could have added a third, but we didn’t want to let them back in, so we sort of settled for the 2-0.

A very good result to take there. Tie not over, and we need to keep going, but definite advantage to us.

Now into Newcastle. Early game. And they are up to ninth and have momentum. Ugh. Professional display needed, probably not too much glamorous football, but hopefully we grind out the win.

9 Likes

Have to say I’m delighted with that and 2-0 is fine by me, I watched both legs of the game against Bayern and I expected this game we were just so much better than Bayern in both legs.

Ties not over but it’s about managing the game, their game plan went out of the window with the Hendo goal and only slight checks on runs and we would have two more. They are going have to attack far more than they did against Bayern who seemed to take it for granted.

3 Likes

They had only one shot all game long. Were they even trying???

This two goal lead means they have to attack us more and leave space behind. But will they do it against a side that has speedy goal scorers and extremely famous for a speedy counter-attack?? That will be a suicidal move.

So many PL teams has been on the receiving end of such counter-attacks and the result is a low block bar for citeh who can go toe to toe with us. However, we have Thiago who can pick up late runners accurately or an Origi who is capable of occupying the opposition CDs and pushing the opposition line further back.

The yellow submarines are truly in a quandary now.

4 Likes

The quick fire second was key as they looked a little lost for 10 or so mins however the way we started that half they didn’t expect it (though it’s what we did Sunday). We also pressed better when we gave the ball away and it was something we didn’t do enough of on Sunday, their outlets were also squeezed. When they conceded they looked every bit of the 7th best team in La Liga.

They don’t have the luxury of it being the first tie and being 0-0 they had a few good chances against Bayern at their stadium but what I came away with most was the crowd. They gifted Bayern possession for most of the game but our back line are comfortable with that. As you said they are going have to attack and it will leave space and if we start that front 3 we will get chances, alternatively they sit back to counter and we play like we did first half against Everton very slow and looking to find gaps.

3 Likes

The first goal in the second leg will be crucial. If it is them, game on. If it is us, game over.

I think it will be us.

3 Likes

Still half time and while it looks tough for villareal to come back from this , they eliminated the likes of bayern and juve to come here so are there by merit.

Agree that they will have to be more open and attacking and play possibly a higher defensive line at the second leg , leaving space for the 3 fwds to drive at.

1 Like