Post match: Napoli v Liverpool (UCL 7/9/22 8pm)

Half the players were barely involved preseason.:face_with_head_bandage:

I really wish it was as simple as Mane.

Weā€™re seeing it in the fleshā€¦

& how long are fans going to keep using ā€œnearly won the lot, nearly won the quadrupleā€, facts are we won 2 domestic cups on pens, lost a final and we did everything we could to push City until the last dayā€¦it was a great season but itā€™s come and gone and now weā€™re seeing this team buckle week after week.

The squad isnā€™t good enough to compete any longer, but thatā€™s down to a mixture of thingsā€¦for 1 Klopp not being backed properly for years and having to keep working with the same old team year on in.

3 Likes

The fact that weā€™re set up bizarrely, doesnā€™t mean weā€™re not tired. As I say, I think pre-season might have been a miscalculation.

It isnā€™t just running about. Itā€™s also the way weā€™re passing - lazy, slow, pedestrian, refusing to miss put a man when itā€™s on. Itā€™s the way weā€™re defending - like weā€™re running through treacle, sloppy, slow in thought and deed. Players like Fabinho, Van Dijk, Salah, Hendo, Trent and Robbo look a shadow of what they were last year. Regardless of any tactical issue, just doing the basics poorly.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a surprise that the two players who have been generally speaking our best performers this season - Elliot and Gomez (notwithstanding his rough game tonight) - barely got a look in last year.

1 Like

And overall I agree with these tactics. Itā€™s just that sometimes need some pragmitism. Not just keep doing the same over and over.

1 Like

Yeah but for Diaz has at least put in a heap of effort. Much the same as Mane did. There is something else badly wrong.

We were torn to shreds for 47 minutes tonight.

2 Likes

Listening to utter shite on BT sport while waiting for Klopp to explain what happened

Change my tone a little bit: I would rather start Jones than Milner, if both are available.

2 Likes

Diaz and Elliott are the only bright things from this season so far.

1 Like

Yes that loyalty is his strength but also his weakness.

1 Like

It definitely has something to do with it. Not all of course, but we could do with his spirit and fight

Iā€™d start Arthur, at least Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m getting and would him having to get up to speed with how we play much of a hindrance at the moment.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. I think we tried to squeeze too much into a compressed pre-season. Someone said theyā€™ve just had a holiday, but that obviously not how it works.

1 Like

How is that possible less than a month into the season?

In what way? I cannot imagine that Klopp and his staff would have neglected to work to get them fit. Their preseasons are designed with that very purpose and are grueling for that very reason.

3 Likes

Agree with pretty much everything youā€™ve said.

As soon as I saw the team sheet I knew we were in troubleā€¦everybody knew it but were too afraid to say to it.

Mane is a miss sure, but Napoli lost 3-4 big playersā€¦did that affect them? Did they all play with their heads down feeling sorry for themselves? Did they all wait for one another to do something? No, they played like how a team should.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s going on with Virg? Physical or mental aftermath of his injury?

Sorry, but this just feels like such an overreaction and based on recency bias. We were utterly relentless last season and looked at that level as recently as a month ago in the community shield.

These players havenā€™t lost ability overnight. Thereā€™s no excuse for tonightā€™s performance, but a team that nearly wins literally single competition isnā€™t the ā€˜same old teamā€™ and not ā€˜good enough to competeā€™. Come on man.

5 Likes

And I feel Diaz isnā€™t even completely involved yet. Heā€™ll be a monster if he gets the support tactically and from the rest of the team, one like a year back

3 Likes

I agree to a certain extent. The question is why? I know we played every game available last season but we should not be this lethargic, easily exposed. This is something that has carried on from the end of last season.
I am not the one to negatively highlight individual players and so I wonā€™t, however, I feel some are currently turning up expecting a result rather than working towards a result.
I really worry about our next 2 league games.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because we are not winning, a not winning team always looks shattered while a team that wins looks like they are floating, neither has to be true.

3 Likes