Post Match: Palace v Liverpool (EPL 9/12/23 12.30pm)

Given that we are consistently winning these games I’d say the team is doing a pretty good job of handling adversity.

3 Likes

Isn’t it well documented that Ayew is a Liverpool fan…
Maybe he should get man of the match for doing us that favour today :0)

Textbook example of “goalkeeper winning a team points.”

2 Likes

Winning football games is great, but performances also matter. If this was a blip, we could brush it off and move on. But this isn’t a blip, is it?

Difference should be United hopefully won’t play with a flat back 10.

2 Likes

It took Elliott coming on to feel that there was a Liverpool midfield out there. He came for the ball, he moved with and without the ball, he actually attacked and defended and played with more energy and intensity than the rest of the starting midfield put together. Standard stuff really which you’d expect in every game but not from our starters. Shockinly bad performance by them, TAA included.

Front 3 dogshit, yet again. Nunez a disaster, all he did was straying offside, Diaz, ran a bit with no end product, Salah invisible and lucky his shot was deflected in because it wasn’t even close.

In a game Liverpool dominated in possession, the best players were the goalkeeper and a centre half. They two, the subs (mainly Elliott and Gomez) and Ayew’s stupidity turned it around.

The mark of champions, winning while playing badly and all that jazz is good and all but at some point we actually have to start playing like champions. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a genuinely good performance start to finish. Keep playing like this and the results as well as the accompanying talk will soon go away.

3 Likes

Gakpo. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m off for a walk to give my head a wobble and calm down.

angry regina george GIF

angry resting place GIF by Kim's Convenience

Angry Dance GIF by The Washington Post

1 Like

You’re about to watch a weekend of football where the majority of teams who win will mot play to their full potential. When Arsenal, Man City or even Man Utd win while playing crap its taken as an ominious sign of how much quality they have in their squad. When we do it its because we are lucky bastards who will have our numbers called soon.

Its not going to happen. Away games are usually hard, win them and move on. The attitude that we should be swatting away every side and playing beautiful football every week in the process is actually kind of disrespectful to the league. Every team is full of international calibre footballers, even sides lile Luton have shown they are no mugs.

The more enjoyable performances will come but they don’t happen all that often, most weeks away games are just about grinding out a result.

I honestly don’t understand why you are fucking fuming about a win. What are you getting from the sport at this point if all your thoughts are jjst about how this win means nothing because you are in fear of what might happen another day?

14 Likes

What pressure thats revising history.

My poor ticker has taken a battering the last 3 matches I told my son that their motivation levels will go up a few notches and then they will be unrecognisable the next match all this due to Hodgson’s history with our club

4 Likes

Damn, Roy really accusing Virgil of getting his player sent off by “kicking the ball at him from a few yards away”

Was Ayew correctly sent off for his bookable offences…probably…not but to effectively accuse him of cheating is crazy, Ayew stood in front of a quick kick being taken.

1 Like

Roy set Palace up as expected - keep in shape, numbers behind the ball, target the midfield receiver (Endo in the first half), and when nick the ball, get powerful runners up in support.

The ref in the first half most likely decided to not show yellow to the Fernandhino type fouls of stopping the counters (one of the first that happened early in the match was a full on rugby tackle hug with two arms, but the ref had turned around so just the free kick was given).

Second half, I presume the totting up rule the refs use came out, and he started clamping down. Palace didn’t get the memo (their own fault, it was obvious the ref started to dish out the cards), and Ayew (who caused us trouble I must add) picked up two yellows. Doesn’t usually happen, so that’s why TNT were making such a big deal of it.

Quansah was going to subbed, but before the change, the swipe of boot with the Palace player getting in ahead. He kicked it backwards but a 105 second check resulted in the call to the monitor. In the first half the ref overturned his decision after seeing the monitor for an age (I think he thought was contact on Endo but he went down easy – so he asked for lots of angles to try to stick with his decision. I don’t mind that. He overturned it).

The penalty looked super soft, but once the ref probably says he thought defender had the ball but the video shows something else, it allows VAR to step in.

Salah with a deflected equalizer (would be a shout for a pen on Jones had it not gone in), followed by a delightful winner from Harvey.

I thought Darwin had his quietest game for us. He usually does some good things or creates a stink at times, but he was strangely subdued. Anyway, three points is all that matters, especially more so as we have drawn too many games away from home. Shitty have lost 3 to our 1 game, but hey have converted more games into wins.

Those 1 point losing seasons by us would be ours under the two points a game rule, but winning is key.

Can now have an eye on the other games knowing that we have the points on the board.

2 Likes

He felt like there was pressure at the time too, in fairness. He’s wrong the whole game was a cakewalk, but he’s not revising what he felt at the time.

1 Like

Do you know why? Will Hughes is a Red. Maybe we should have bought him instead of Gravyboat.

Top of the league and not playing very well. You’ve got to like that.

There was at least one conversation early in the second half where the referee seemed to be warning them of exactly that.

3 Likes

We’re top of the fucking Premier League. A few months after we finished 5th.

Honestly our fans act like spoiled children sometimes

8 Likes

Yep, Palace kept fouling us in transition which disrupted our rhythm.

If Ayew feels hard done by it’s because he and his teammates got away with it up until that point.

5 Likes

Wasn’t Will Hughes the meme signing for us that kept being brought up as a joke all summer?

He is completely terrible but he does run around a lot.

TNT were the broadcasters. The VAR lines for offside are available for them to broadcast but I don’t know why they always seem to decide not to show it when the goal by Diaz was called offside.

It makes perfect sense to show it during the stopped time. I don’t get it.

2 Likes