Post Match: Sheffield Utd v Liverpool (EPL 6/12/23 7.30pm)

Only team not to have lost in the EPL in their last 5 matches!!!

4 Likes

You can’t blame people for being frustrated with him. Record signing, who can’t finish off chances.

His great otherwise game doesn’t offset all the missed opportunities for everyone. He needs to improve his finishing for everyone’s sake and he needs to do it quickly.

Nunez came on for 10 mins and had an assist!!!

4 Likes

Which resulted from a pretty nifty tackle on a defender.

4 Likes

One loss is still one point better than two draws. Just saying.

Ok go over to Manure if you like! :roll_eyes:

Yes he did. There was a period where Benteke had a series of one on ones that he failed to convert - including one where the Keeper wasn’t even there. He ended up getting in his own head, no-one had any confidence he would score and he didn’t believe it either.

That’s the sole point of comparison.

2 Likes

Wasting your time there.

1 Like

Just a quick look through the PL top scorer stats and nearly all in that table are converting chances at around one in three. Nunez is one in ten.

3 Likes

It does offset it. The team is better with him in it.

3 Likes

Nunez tackle for the second goal was exceptional. If Bobby did the same we would be raving about what he brings to the team.
Bobby didn’t need to score at the rate Salah and Mane did, as he was defending from the front.

Nunez isn’t Bobby, but he adds something to the team. Yes, he needs more goals, but its encouraging to see his effort and passion. In fact, he was our best forward last night in his time on the pitch.

I wouldn’t write him off yet.

6 Likes

Goals + assists across all comps

Mo Salah
@22 yo (season 14/15): 1 every 140.0 mins
@23yo (season 15/16): 1 every 154.5 mins
@24yo (season 16/17): 1 every 93.7 mins

Darwin Nunez
@22yo (season 21/22): 1 every 74.2 mins
@23yo (season 22/23): 1 every 124.5 mins
@24yo (season 23/24): 1 every 78.8 mins

Seems to be tracking pretty fucking well in my eyes!

7 Likes

Good god your post is dramatic. You are crying because we didn’t smash in multiple goals early. It pays to not go into a match with expectations that the other team is begging to roll over for you and play dead in front of a packed home crowd at night. We won. Not convincingly, but we did what we needed to do. We went and fought for a result that wasn’t going to be an easy game and got it. Just move on. No-one will be playing back this match, but it was still a necessary on-the-road game that we took the full 3 points from. Do we really need to go much farther than that in analysing it?

5 Likes

I hope so.

While we are winning I’m not bothered who scores, Nunez missing a chance (it wasn’t a great chance btw, most of those chances are not scored) is fine especially as he went on to have an impact on the scoresheet anyway by winning the ball and laying it on for an assist. He was crap last weekend but did still impact the final result by winning a key header in the build up to Arnold’s winner.

Didier Drogba is considered one of the best strikers in the Premier League era but his main contribution was not scoring goals for Chelsea it was being an outlet, holding the ball up and forcing chances through pure force. Nunez has all these qualities - and still has plenty of time to become a prolific finisher. Not many players under 25 trouble the top scorer charts anywhere.

Everyone gets all hot and bothered about how good Julian Alvarez is for City (and he is really good) but he has the same number of goals in almost double the minutes.

The team result is what matters, not that every chance created is taken. Hell in the last two games its been Salah who has missed big chances, who cares when we win?

5 Likes

Horrible game but job done.

Thought only VVD and Endo were above 7/10. Sozbo was oddly better in last 10 minutes than the entire match.

Gutted that Matip is out as I really dont rate Konate. He really reminds me of Sakho in the way he switches off, never sees danger, silly fouls, lack of concentration creates a chance for the other team with poor passing, control etc.
Yes he is fast but he needs to be chasing the balls he gives away.

So odd that in a season where everyone is beating everyone - we’ve only lost 1 and that was due to a VAR fuck up.

We do need to improve with Arsenal coming up in next couple of weeks.

1 Like

I’ll close the thread then, shall I?

Yes we got the three points in the end. Happy days. But let’s be honest, any fan who claims they weren’t bricking it on 80mins is a liar.

We are right to be nervous, because we’ve seen this before, too many times. Sheffield Utd might be the worst team in the league. Burnley - another shout for worst team in the league - just put five past them.

We offered them encouragement. We gave them the idea there was something to be taken out of the game. We gave them chances a better side would have taken. They had a good penalty shout that we were lucky to escape.

We need to be better. I’m not saying I demand the right to batter teams like this, and the need to preserve energy and mitigate over exertion is obviously live. But in that case, you need to have an element of control, which means not presenting the opposition with good chances to take a point deep in the game.

If we go to Palace and put in that performance, then we’re in trouble, because they have the players who can put away the chances Sheff Utd couldn’t.

1 Like

What penalty? and if you are talking pens we should have had 2 if not more, Virg’s marker had a grab if his shirt and another where their player had one of ours in a bear hug

Guess that makes me a liar then because I wasn’t nervous on 80 minutes or really at any minite of the game. Sheff Utd didn’t create a single chance of note and didn’t look acapable of doing so.

Liverpool defended really well, there was a high level of diligency in the way our players covered for each other and battled for the win. Never felt like that was in danger of being breached.

5 Likes

A team coming off the back of a huge loss will put huge effort into the next game. Add in the new manager bounce, and you’ve got the recipe for a banana skin.

I agree that we didn’t manage the game well at times, but it was important that everyone was up for the challenge, especially with the 26-second-long throw-ins, corners and free kicks.

A couple of early goals would’ve smothered the fight in Sheff Utd, but that doesn’t happen all the time. Sheff Utd kept shape to defend (and we countered that by keeping Salah and Diaz wide, allowing our two forward minded midfielders the chances to run into the half spaces through the middle), and they also kept a couple of players near the half way line to pounce on any transition.

We need to string a run of wins together, and Saturday early kick off will be another crucial game.