Post Match: Spurs, Hooper, VAR, PL v Liverpool (EPL 30/9/23 5.30pm)

15-16 clubs in the league could compile a list like this where they’ve been fucked over by which is why I say the league should look to open up proceedings where they can discuss in formal meetings with execs from the FA on ways to move forward, rambling on about it every week is futile.

1 Like

Keep deluding yourself fella.

Actually no, they couldn’t.
Isolated cases of being fucked over, none as consistent and costly as those suffered by Liverpool

3 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve checked and run through EVERY other side in the league’s 38 games to judge have you? Course you haven’t, you wouldn’t give the time of day to check even a round of fixtures because you’re so oblivious to any other wrongdoing and you only have your eyes set on 1 club (which is fine) but don’t pretend to know you know what goes on in other games.

Brentford were denied 2 clear pens today you’d be crying if we hadn’t got….but you won’t acknowledge that will you?

Brighton got battered anyway so I guess you won’t care about 2 of the goals that shouldn’t have stood, one for being in line of the keeper and 1 for a clear foul in the build up. This is just 2 of the games that were shown live, I could run down a whole list for you, far too long you for to consider any of it … so I won’t waste my time because you’re arguments are pretty set with no room for manoeuvre.

They could though.

Pickford is one off that list that was a massive fuck up and one that joins Maca and this one on yesterday.

Throw in the one they’ve apologised about Everton (if that’s given and Everton score it’s the destination of the title changed).

I’m not going jump on every decision though there is something snidey about a fair few but it is best to focus on the obvious ones if our argument is to stick, evidently the players are pissed off and the club has decided to take action.

1 Like

Brentford and Brighton lose out on potential title winning points in those instances?

Have you read the Tompkins article posted today?
Probably not?
Too engrossed in the plight of other clubs and crying over the unfairness they have suffered?

Well one of them could be relegated from the PL.

1 Like

I get your point, but the response was directed at @The-AllMightyReds.

To be honest, I am in no mood to discuss inequities potentially experienced by other clubs.
After yesterdays debacle there really isn’t room or appetite to compare with what Liverpool have suffered.

4 Likes

Then let’s just stick to the stuff we actually know for a fact.

• Match fixing happens. It has happened in Italy, and there is now a serious investigation happening in Spain.

• The investigation in Spain relates to Barcelona paying referees, and includes the time that Pep Guardiola was at Barca.

• Many of the senior football figures who were at Barca, are now at Man City, that club having imported a lot of the football structure at Barca to support Guardiola.

• Guardiola has a history of cheating in the game, with a failed drug test for a banned substance while playing in Italy.

• Man City have yet to answer 114 charges of breaking PL rules, relating to inflating sponsorship fees, illegal payments and failing to open books to scrutiny. Can be summarised as ‘financial doping’.

• Liverpool have missed out on league titles when inexplicable decisions have gone against them, and in Cities favour. Two which come to mind are the stonewall red card challenge on Salah that went unpunished, the late handball non penalty in the City Everton match two seasons ago. Liverpool are not unique in this with some very odd calls going against Arsenal towards the end of last season (the bizarre offside call in the Brentford game cones to mind).

• Had Liverpool won yesterday, they would have overtaken City in first place.

• The officials, and especially Darren England, made some inexplicable decisions yesterday - the worst offside decision ever seen (including a highly dubious rationale), the intervention on Curtis Jones (including presenting a non-context view of the incident), failure to notice the penalty challenge on Gomez, and numerous incorrect yellow cards and failure to uphold what are supposed to be yellow card sanctions for Spurs players.

• Three of the referee team for yesterdays game The VAR, assistant VAR, and fourth official) were guests of UAE - officiating in a game in the league owned by the brother of Man City’s principle owner - just 48 hours prior to kick off.

None of that is disputable.

One of the most unpleasant things about this is the way that it makes you end up sounding like a nutcase. My partner thinks I’m crackers, but just for being this wound up about a bloody game, but also because this sounds like conspiracy nonsense and I’m on a pathway to claiming 5G gives you herpes or something. And it does sound crackers.

But also when you see it set out like that, it’s hard to reach any conclusion that there isn’t huge questions for English Football.

Do we honestly think with two of the four ‘big leagues’ tainted by corruption and match fixing it couldn’t happen here? Do we honestly think a manager and a club with a track record of cheating to gain a sporting advantage wouldn’t go there? Why have City had such inexplicable decisions handed to them exactly when they’ve needed them? What the fuck a referees doing accepting the hospitality of a country who own a club in the league they are meant to be impartially officiating?

24 Likes

If folks haven’t read The Fix, please do. It’s not uncommon to fix or attempt to fix matches (even in grass roots leagues) and most of us don’t want to believe it.

And here’s one of Declan Hill’s interviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD52M-XC8I4&ab_channel=THEVARSHOW

2 Likes

This bit really stands out in the aftermath of the Spurs game. I’d scarcely believe it if it wasn’t written in the Times. Utterly unfathomable.

2 Likes

If I owned LFC, I would leave everything else aside and absolutely hammer on this point. Football opening its arms to state entities has in one stroke obliterated any appearance of propriety.

I mean, for fuck’s sake, the degrees of separation here before it gets really uncomfortable is one.

14 Likes

Doing a great job at it as well!

The club statement included the phrase that we will, “explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution.”

What are the options? Will we litigate?

That would be a clear escalation on our part - bring it on!

I agree we should hammer home the point that the refs were just hosted, and presumably well paid, by the country that owns Man City, which is a massive conflict of interest.

2 Likes

They are talking about the MCL medial collateral ligament not to be confused with the ACL & PCL, which if injured are a lot worse than MCL’s

I’d never heard of the MCL to be honest that’s why I compared to PCL, I’ve not seen any comment really bar the post in his thread.

If it does end up being the time frames given there I think we’ve been lucky.

2 Likes

I’ve tweaked my MCL in the past and it was ok in a couple of weeks, depends on the severity, the medial is the one on the inside of the knee, the ACL & PCL are the ones you don’t want to damage

3 Likes

You’re right. LFC have nothing to complain about. We are treated completely fairly. A bad decision has never cost us the title. We should shut up whining and completely trust the authorities. It’s an even playing field.

1 Like

Yeah I know I did my PCL grade 2 in December finally was looked at in March went into a Brace until June it’s just about ok to kneel on now. Who knows when I’ll play again but it’s been suggested I head to the gym and see how that goes.

1 Like

I’m honestly losing the will to bother with footy anymore. I stopped watching other games that didn’t involve us a while ago. Now, unless LFC stick it to the authorities and something gets done, I think I’m close to being done with footy for good.

GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

3 Likes