Post Match: Spurs, Hooper, VAR, PL v Liverpool (EPL 30/9/23 5.30pm)

The youngest (probably lowest paid lad) gets it right and does his job. Slight mess in communication from him but he noticed it was wrong long before Ali touched the ball which was the perfect time to stop the play, nevermind when the ball was booted out which gave them a 2nd chance to put things right.

If they stopped the game a min later, and said sorry we made a mistake and explained. I don’t think you have too many complains and it’s forgotten already.

2 Likes

To me it sounds fake…admittedly not a native speaker, but is that how people talk? Does it sound legit?? is there any way to know whether it’s the actual audio?

It sounds a cluster fuck with not one person taking any charge. Its honestly worse than i was expecting. Too busy tugging each other off to realise they had cocked up.

1 Like

A Confusion of Voices… Just Jostling to be Heard

1 Like

Agree in some extent with the 16 years as I am not always up to date with interpretations, thats why I like that you have that up to date knowledge, I do however check, normally after saying something and being pulled up, with the laws of the game.

However, I refereed numerous sports on a daily basis for over 12 years and you never lose that eye or that approach to refereeing decisions and its not black and white as you always seem to think.

Have you ever refereed a game or sport in general?

Full transcript. Shocking…

Here it is again…

Full transcript of sweary VAR audio from Luis Diaz goal as officials massively panicked

Assistant referee 1: “All good. Both holding. Both holding”
Referee: “Yeah, leave it alone.”

Assistant referee 1: “Waiting. Delaying, delaying.”

VAR: “Possible offside, Diaz.”

Assistant referee 2: “Give it.”

Assistant referee1: “Coming back for the offside, mate.”

VAR: “Just checking the offside. Delay, delay.”

VAR: “Give the kick point, let’s go. Kick point please?”

Referee: “Yeah, no worries mate.”

Replay operator: “So, here we are.”

Referee: “Wait.”

Replay operator: “Just get a tight angle.”

VAR: “Yeah give me 2D line ready after this one from frame two after that.”

Replay operator: “So frame two there?”

VAR: “That’s fine. Perfect, yeah. 2D line on the left boot.”

Replay operator: “Let me just switch angles.”

VAR: “Romero, I think it is?

Replay operator: “I think it might be this angle better? Happy with this angle?”

VAR: “Yep.”

Replay operator: “2D line on the boot?”

VAR: “2D line on the boot.”

Replay operator: “Yep, okay. So 2D line on the boot.”

VAR: “And stop. Check complete, check complete. That’s fine, perfect.”

Assistant referee 1: “Playing.”

Referee: “Cheers mate.”

VAR: “Thank you mate.”

Referee: “Well done boys, good process.”

Replay operator: “Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this?”

Assistant VAR: “Yeah.”

Replay operator: “Are you happy with this?”

Assistant VAR: “Offside, goal, yeah. That’s wrong that, Daz.”

VAR: “What?”

Replay operator: “On-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this image? Yeah, it is onside. The image that we gave them is onside.”

Assistant VAR: “He’s playing him, he’s gone offside.

VAR: “Oh (expletive)”

Replay operator: “Delay, delay. Oli (PGMOL Hub Ops) saying to delay, Oli’s saying to delay.”

VAR: “Pardon?”

Replay operator: “Oli’s calling in to say delay the game. The decision is onside.”

VAR: “Can’t do anything.”

Replay operator: Oli’s saying to delay, Oli’s saying to delay.”

VAR: “Oli?”

Fourth official: “Yeah.”

Replay operator: “Delay the game, to delay the game? Stop the game.”

VAR: “They’ve started the game. Can’t do anything, can’t do anything.”

Assistant VAR: “Yeah they’ve restated. Yeah. No.”

VAR: “I can’t do anything. I can’t do anything. (Expletive).”

You missed a bit in the middle of all that which may well have been interpreted wrong

VAR: Check complete, check complete. That’s fine, perfect (showing Diaz is clearly onside). Off.

Probably meaning signing off but if you tell the ref “check complete.off”.What is he going to think?

That’s what I thought but he speaks again after saying it

VAR: Check complete, check complete. That’s fine, perfect (showing Diaz is clearly onside). Off.

Referee: Cheers mate

VAR: Thank you mate

Referee. Well done boys. Good process.

Hooper restarts the game after indicating to the players that Diaz was ruled offside by the VAR.

He(VAR) only talks again to say tanx as seen above

2 Likes

Sounds legit.

This is how people with poor communication skills and no composure speak when put under pressure.

I use safety critical comms in my role. I’d be embarrassed if I ever communicated half as poorly as this.

They were rushing, talking too much, not listening and using ambiguous language. Doesn’t get much more calamitous than that.

11 Likes

Sure, but I’d expect signing off to be the last word. Especially in a situation they’re dealing with an offside.

The language used throughout is mind boggling and really unprofessional.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Angry Work GIF

4 Likes

I wish we could see what England was looking at during all this. It’s one thing hearing the audio but for about 20 seconds he seems to not have a clue what’s going on, he can’t have been sat with his eyes closed.

3 Likes

So they’re sorry and will work hard to make “it” never happens again.

Great. Case closed then.

1 Like

So you think there is zero chance of this audio being staged and directed after the collective outrage?

I think he had my copy of Razzle…

2 Likes

Entirely possible.

Problem is you’d do it better than this, where only the tech guy comes out with any credibility

I made a joke he had gone for a piss, I think he had.

How once again they will bend reality to deny this was a hugely embarrassing error.

1 Like