Post Match: Spurs, Hooper, VAR, PL v Liverpool (EPL 30/9/23 5.30pm)

That would actually be some fun trivia.

However, highly irrelevant. We’re talking about a match that occurred 4 days ago, not 58 years ago.

I like the idea that there arent worm everywhere already.

Worm Biology GIF by MIT

Are PGMOL a private contractor, if so, why cant we just take proceedings at them for negligence? Because there’s is no chance of a replay. The league would run ad infinitum.

1 Like

I’d rather sue them through loss of earnings.

It isn’t getting a replay

2 Likes

4 survivors only.

Chris Lawler, Ron Yeats, Ian Callaghan (saw him in the supermarket a couple of years ago) & Willie Stevenson.

I was at the first leg. Good memory. Anyway I digress.

2 Likes

What about Inter’s side? Would be fun.

I expect that there is something in the contract that prevents this. However we need to somehow let PGMOL know that we could make like Hell for them because our current strategy of appeasement isn’t working. TBH we missed that opportunity when one of their officials literally assaulted one of our players.

1 Like

Well I thought so as well, but LFC surely didn’t sign a contract with PGMOL. So it must be bulk terms arranged by the, one and only, arch-corrupting EPL. Or dictated terms if you want to play.

A European super league still looks attractive of the clubs want to take control over these failings, it has to jettison lazy, entitled, authoritative public sector bodies like the FA, UEFA etc.

1 Like

It makes a lot of sense, because they would be getting punished for something that wasn’t their mistake. There’s no way we would accept a replay if we had benefitted from that shambles

Somebody is going to be punished for something that wasn’t their mistake. At the moment it’s us.

6 Likes

The PGMOL is independently operated, but is jointly owned and funded by the PL (which is itself run by the clubs), the EFL and the FA.

I don’t think for a moment that JK expects it to happen, but adding more fuel to the ongoing fire is a great idea. I mean, we don’t want this shitstorm to quietly go away do we? If it means a complete top-to-bottom reform of the professional refereeing body in this country, what’s not to like? Also it would give that man u-loving boss of it yet another reason to hate LFC. Nice. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

They’re not getting punished though are they? They’re only getting punished from the perspective of something that has already happened, that shouldn’t have happened.

And I’d like to think the club would have had the foresight to accept a replay if it meant tightening up refereeing standards.

Klopp: “Diogo Jota got two yellow cards for not touching a player once.”

8 Likes

I thought he did touch him on the second one. I only recall thinking Jota was a dickhead for not being more careful since he was on a yellow. It would be interesting to see that again.

2 Likes

They would have to fit another game into their schedule which they won’t have planned for and which could result in players being injured or suffering fatigue.

Spurs are innocent in this.

But they are beneficiaries nonetheless of the botched call…

So are we.

The point is, you’re looking at it from the perspective of what has already happened, so from that perspective they lose. They benefitted from 3 points that they should not otherwise have had.

One can always argue that they planned to advance further in the League Cup, so this is merely taking the place of that fixture.

At first, when I heard what Klopp’s said, I was a bit annoyed down to the reaction it will/has garnered - the reactions pointing at Klopp/the club as being deluded, pointing to other VAR incidents etc - all outside noise.

Reality is, Klopp gave his own opinion (which was clarified throughout the presser, inc right at the end - club haven’t requested one), but he made clear that the better thing to do in such a situation is (after not making the error), to rectify it straight away. If that doesn’t work, the replay would be the way he would want it to go.

Klopp’s keeping it in the news, re-highlighting that this situation is unprecedented - and he can shut out the noise it makes (we hear it and we get annoyed), which is what we want - siege mentality time with the players. Keep calm, be clinical, don’t react. It’s the making of Mentality Monsters 2.0.

This is why I think he’s happy to say it (knowing it’s not going to happen) - the PGMOL statement is the rug under which Webb is hoping to brush this mess - Klopp’s just setting the statement on fire in the meantime.

5 Likes