Post Match: Spurs, Hooper, VAR, PL v Liverpool (EPL 30/9/23 5.30pm)

You can probably guess one of the two votes.

So ex players/coaches…3
Arseholes…2

2 Likes

Oh oki doki…just the ‘headlines’ quoted PL refs…

Dunno you never know the PL isn’t a ref I guess eithier and you’ve seen punditry in this country, not all ex pros are the cleverest.

To be honest I just watched the Jota red card for the first time (the second yellow) and I think it’s a foul and not surprised a yellow card was given. He barely touches him but he obviously impedes his progress and doesn’t come close to winning the ball. Probably a free kick alone would have been fine but if you see the angle the referee is looking at then it looks like Jota wipes him out, the second angle - one the referee didn’t have - shows it was a bit softer than that.

I’ve got a problem with the goal and the Jones red, Jota I can understand both bookings even if I think both of them were soft.

1 Like

Agreed on the second yellow but the first one was more than just harsh, it was plain wrong. The board voting the red was wrong though is a massive bonus in us sticking it to the PGMOL and should keep the exposure going for a bit longer. The more they squirm the better as far as i’m concerned. They’ve caused us enough problems over the years and in just this one game the ref seemed on a mission to make us lose.

3 Likes

I’m as aware of the ‘soft’ decisions that go against us just as much as the big ones.

It appears that the decisions that ‘could go either way’ often tend to go against us. More plausible deniability there than giving shockers against us every week, although they’ve started doing that too.

2 Likes

If I was one to think about a conspiracy, I’d say the referees would definitely be feeling more untouchable after this weekend and how seemingly few consequences there are. Any potential outrage gets denied by other fans all too keen to claim that we have a “victim culture” because just bantz innit.

Maybe the other refs will consider the examination England received in public and try to behave professionally?

1 Like

Dunno England is losing a fair bit due to that “mistake”.

I’m not sure why Cook isn’t getting the same treatment mind. What’s the point a VAR assistant when the VAR tech guy could do the job more efficiently

Or more likely they will see one of their mates getting put to the sword and double down on their screwing us over

1 Like

Nice work if you can get it…

PGMOL boss Howard Webb set to escape the Luis Diaz VAR debacle by flying to the Netherlands to work for UEFA as a referee observer at Europa Conference League tie

Howard Webb is set to escape the refereeing storm hanging over the PGMOL by flying to the Netherlands to work for UEFA on the side this week.

Webb will act as referee observer for the Europa Conference League group game between Alkmaar and Legia Warsaw on Thursday.

The 52-year-old Englishman will be at the AFAS Stadion to evaluate the officiating team led by referee Nenad Minakovic by marking them on how they perform.

It is not known how much UEFA’s referee observers are being paid per assignment this season – if anything – but one former observer told Mail Sport that expenses are covered for up to £350 (€400) per day.

According to UEFA’s website, Webb’s role will include attending a meeting on the morning of the match, which suggests he may fly to Alkmaar on Wednesday. Webb will act as a mentor to Minakovic and Co while abroad, also visiting the officials after full-time for a dressing room debrief on Thursday before filing his report to UEFA on Friday or Saturday upon his return to England.

How the fuck can he mentor refs from other countries when he can’t even get his own refs working to an acceptable level of compitence?

9 Likes

Is he? Hasn’t lost his job yet, has he?

1 Like

I read he had lost 150k hadn’t he due to falling off the elite list.

On that 2nd yellow, agreed on the refs position and watching it live, it looked a definite foul and yellow, but watching the replays I struggle to actually see the contact, it looked like a dive, he expected the contact when Jota actually tried to pull out at the last second

1 Like

There was no contact, it was a bullshit dive from that Destiny fanny who shouldn’t have even been on the pitch the little fucker.

“OK lads, first thing clear communication is important so we are going to have call signs. Mikey your Mockingbird, Gaz your Pirate, Charlie your Chewbacca and I am obviously Black Phoenix.

Now Chewie, do your impersonation again, its brilliant. Whenever Jolly Roger here makes a mistake, I want to hear that Chewie moan. It will make my day. Mikey have you seen the hunger games ? I don’t want a normal whistle, I want you to whistle like a mockingbird….oh you can’t whistle… but can do an owl…suppose that will do

Gazza, I mean Jolly Roger…I mean Pirate. What ever your name is. The most important phrase you can learn when dealing with managers is ARRGGGGHH well… many a time is been a life saver. Play your cards right one day you too can be king of the pirates and get to wear black.”

I read that entire piece in the voice of Rhys Darby.

4 Likes

Roll call! :wink: