Post match: WBA v Liverpool (EPL 16/05/21 16:30)

I disagree that it was lucky. The game should have been over well before Ali scored. Wasteful in front of goal but a good performance.

2 Likes

Another ordinary performance but who gives a fuck.
3 points we had to get to have any hope, sealed with a cracking header from Alisson.

1 Like

I think the issue is having Fab at the back and no Hendo in the 6 to cover

3 Likes

For me they were lucky as just before they got there goal, Thiago was wrongly called for a foul when he clearly played the ball!!!

4 Likes

Ali’s goal with Brazilian commentary. :heart:

7x22 GIF

10 Likes

Still buzzing all these hrs later!

Switching gears and looking ahead… we need to improve! We were too wasteful in front of goal, and too ponderous, playing much of our football in front of them. Ok, they were well drilled and competed for everything, and as soon as we breathed on them the ref blew his whistle to give them a free kick.

Still, we have to do better to take care of these low block, snidey teams.

Alisson’s goal was utterly brilliant. I will never forget it.

But to be a stingy realist for a second here…

We can’t rely on magic to save us. We have to be better, and if we manage to do that, we will win the games with some margin to spare. Maybe that’s too much to ask this season, but put me down for a quiet 3-0 to settle the nerves please!

2 Likes

I probably am at odds, which won’t be the 1st time on here, with what a lot are saying with regards to our game. For me we played well offensively and created lots of chances to have won the game comfortably not like previous games, against these defensive type teams, when we have had bugger all shots.

We were only poor in the execution of the final shot and maybe some passes could have been better in the final 3rd, which could have resulted in more chances. To create against these teams is hard and we did create especially when they have 12 men behind the ball and sit so deep.

My only main issue was that we defended pretty poorly against the flick ons and 2nd balls.

7 Likes

I agree completely with your post, start to finish. The scoreline belies how truly lopsided the match really was. I thought we created beautiful chances, just did not convert. And then also agreed with what you mentioned about us being a little soft in the middle defense to the long ball or flick-ons. I thought Fab struggled in the first half which didn’t help the center pairing. But as a group, I thought the boys played a strong match.

Sam kept talking post match about “exposing Liverpool’s weakness”, which isn’t some great football revelation. We have our 8th and 9th choice CB playing. Brilliant strategy, Sam. You’re a genius.

It was a beautifully dramatic and surreal ending, and one I will never forget for as long as I live.

8 Likes

Now that its over, onto the next game. Alisson pulled a rabbit out of the hat for us and while we can say its luck etc, the fact is we got the 3 points. And the players need to be reminded that if we win against Burnley, regardless what happen in Leicester vs Chelsea, we will definitely be in 4th place going into the final day of the season. As I said before, if this does not fire up the boys, nothing else will.

3 Likes

Winning like that for me is better than a routine 3 - 0 win … memorable and emotional, which is what Football is about

4 Likes

“I think it’s one of the best goals I have scored,” he told Sky Sports, before being reminded it was actually his only goal.

“OK, the best I have scored,” he added.

11 Likes

Just when you thought your where supporting some run of the mill club the boys went and got all Liverpool on us.

Far out I dont know if I have ever celebrated a goal so much. It was 3.30am here where I am and pretty sure the whole street knew we scored.

Been a while since we have had to make miracles happen and so made up for Ali with the season he has had, so difficult personally and professionally that it was him that got us over the line. Watched the replay at least 100 times and just don’t get tired of seeing that ball fizz of Ali’s head.

6 Likes

It’s happened 6 times in 11,120 Premier league games. Never before as a winning goal.

3 Likes

Great post :clap:

@Icedagger , @Mascot sorry to hear about your loss. May they have eternal bliss. :pray:

4 Likes

So had this fucking crazy dream last night.

We were drawing 1-1 with a relegated Sam Allardyce side with the season and qualification for the CL at stake.

We got a corner and Alisson went up…

4 Likes

Strange, but I had been wishing that he will go one better since the day of his assist - against Manure last year - to Mo Salah and subsequently dashing up the entire pitch, sliding on his knees to celebrate.

1 Like

So did I. Should have been a dropped ball.
But fuck it, nice to get one go our way!

2 Likes

Few cold light of day comments.
Their goal came shortly after they were incorrectly given a free kick.
Our first goal was the same.
Cancelled out then?

Thiago was majestic. Any other day MOTM. He was sublime.

Firmino was industrious, busy but his passing was dreadful. Couldnt create anything.
Mane tried hard, was better but looks tired. Jota is a serious loss again.

Our CB’s are way down the pecking order, and at times that showed. They are slow off the mark. Nat gets a free pass because of character and he is excellent in the air. He is a fans player, Eric Meijer, McAteer etc but he is limited and will be way behind our first choices next season.
I love him, love what he brings but he isnt quick enough for our game.

Trent has shown what he us all about last few games. Only blip was the shot over the bar but he was excellent.

We relied on a last minute wonder goal, but we were worthy of 4 or 5 yesterday.
Trent, Bobby and Sadio has great chances and but for a few poor final passes we had them opened up a fair bit.

All that said.
Fucking hell Allison!!

5 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

5 Likes

Great stuff! He sounded slightly less disappointed than Martin Tyler.

4 Likes