Post match: West Ham v Liverpool (27/4/24 12.30pm)

Yeah, I also think Klopp got the subs wrong. Most importantly, he should have subbed off a couple of players immediately after we scored the second

The loss was a preview of what was to come, it was not the cause. Even if we had won, we would have faced the same issues afterwards.

PGMOL saying Taylor gave advantage. Utter bollocks excuse.

This one is done. Back to emotionally investing in my Avs as they go on their cup runā€¦

so when did he call a foul??

2 Likes

When Diaz had his goal disallowed the other week we were told the advantage had expired because itā€™s not the refs responsibility to protect a player from making a mistake (Mo passing to an offside player).

So, just watched the Gakpo incident again.

To me there is no break in play, no free-kick given. Areola rolls the ball away and then starts fucking around with his socks. Gakpo runs in but just before he reaches the ball Anthony ā€˜Kopiteā€™ Taylor (Ā© Rambler) blows his whistle 4 or 5 times to ensure a goal canā€™t be awarded if Gakpo rolls it into the net.

Have I got this correct or am I missing something? Because if I am correct then this is right up there with the Diaz disallowed goal at Spurs.
Iā€™m looking forward to hearing the clubā€™s take on this.

3 Likes

Salah tells Gakpo to close the keeper down. Gakpo shouldnā€™t have kept looking back and just hit the damn ball. That first look back by Gakpo gives Taylor time to think of how to save the situation.

have PGMOL come out with official statement?

I think Gakpo instinctively reacted and turned when he heard a whistle. But of course I am guessing as I couldnā€™t hear anything.

Yeah, it happens in relationships too. One time the missus didnā€˜t pick me for the first eleven. I had a strop, but she explained her decision and we made up later.
Would have been nice to come on as a sub though.

1 Like

Yes, they have said they will examine this. Itā€™s on the docket after the 115 case. Stay tuned.

There are people saying Taylor can be clearly seen telling the 'keeper to go down. That is as close to the smoking gun we are ever going to get.

John Henry watching in Bostonā€¦ā€œtake the phone off the hook Lindaā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Yes, but then it becomes a point of greater contention.

He did.

Lee Dixon on the channel I was watching said the same thing.

3 Likes

When have we ever seen a ref telling a player to go down 30 secs after an incident so he can then call on the physio?

2 Likes

Micā€™d up will be interesting.Also Sky not showing or talking about any of it.

1 Like

Do u really think they are going to offer an explanationā€¦ they canā€™t explain it

So keeping quiet, not acknowledging any inquiryā€¦thatā€™s how they workā€¦secret f*****ing societyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not as upset about that as I might have been, as before kick off I thought the title had gone anyway, and we will finish top four, probably third. I maintain that view.

So my emotions are flatter, although I retain a keen interest in watching, and looking for signs of something starting to return.

I didnā€™t think we played too badly. Not great, not terrible, but ok. The second half saw a decent uptick after the break, and we looked likely to run out as winners, but we have added a nasty habit of being a bit too leaky at the back and that needs to change.

On the Gakpo/Taylor incident, it looks bent. There was no foul on the goalie, after laying down with it for a bit, he got up and threw the ball out in front of him, ready to kick it. At that point the ball is live and in play. Gakpo runs in, ready to hit it into the net, but the ref blows his whistle and Gakpo stops. Ideally Gakpo finishes and then it goes to VAR and there is at least some sort of official accounting for the incident that is required. Taylor made an error and it will all be swept under the carpet.

On the Mo Salah incident, I didnā€™t like to see it. Heā€™s waiting to come on and Klopp leans over and says something. Almost certainly Klopp says something innocuous, or as a little gee up, get in there Mo, win us the game. Moā€™s reaction was unacceptable. He probably said something like why didnā€™t you start me, or bring me on earlier, if you want me to win the game? He was clearly frustrated, waving his arm, and moving forward towards the manager. Shitshow at that point, and not what we expect from Mo Salah. Nunez stepped in and moved Salah back to the line, and Gomez stepped across too.

Jurgen Klopp, as an experienced and excellent leader, stepped back away to calm the situation.

After the game in his interview Jurgen was asked about the incident, and he wouldnā€™t speak about it publicly, other than to say he spoke with the player in the dressing room.

The manager is well within his rights to start whoever he likes. And Mo Salahā€™s case for playing would have been boosted had he been better over the past few weeks. If Salah was even close to his usual level, we would almost certainly still be in a very tight title race, perhaps even in the box seat.

But letā€™s be fair. He has been injured, and in coming back he has been off form as he tries to work his way back. Itā€™s not an unusual situation.

One more comment on Mo Salah. I did actually see a sprint, on the break, where he went away from the chasing pack. A lot has been written about his decline, and while he is past peak physically, there is still something left in the tank, and that sprint made me sit up and take notice.

Will he see out his deal and have one last go at the Prem and CL under Slot? Will he move on in summer? Will he sign a one year extension to give us another season, and protect some sort of transfer fee? Likely it will be the first or second scenario, letā€™s see.

We had a title challenge until four games to go, and we have a cup in the bag. We would have all taken that before the season kicked off, as a new team is being rebuilt. Weā€™ve also introduced more young players, and Quansah and Bradley, maybe more, look like they have every chance of being here for a while.

3 Likes

Oh, Szoboszlai. Quick word on him. Earlier in the season he looked like a thoroughbred. Technical, good feet, good size, pace, shot, so much to like. Since coming back he has looked well off. When he came on today he was bad.

I still think he has a good Liverpool career ahead of him, but he needs a preseason, and to get his rhythm back, and hopefully he will kick on again.

1 Like