Pre- and In-Match | Liverpool vs Bournemouth | Saturday August 19th 15:00

Interesting League table based on which teams benefitted most from decisions overturned by VAR last season.

VAR - NET SCORE

Brentford +6

Fulham +5

Liverpool +5

Nottm Forest +3

Aston Villa +1

Bournemouth +1

Newcastle +1

Chelsea 0

Everton 0

Manchester United 0

Crystal Palace -1

Southampton -1

West Ham -1

Wolves -1

Arsenal -2

Leicester City -2

Tottenham -2

Leeds -3

Brighton & Hove Albion -4

Manchester City -4

2 Likes

By benefitted you mean correct decisions, as in offside were awarded?
Not remotely interesting, but good try in your efforts to display equity.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear Klopp labelling our 35% possession as a joke.

Whilst we usually do have upwards of 60 and sometimes into the 70% mark for me it’s always been about what you do with that possession and we did a lot of good.

We played a better game last week to the 1 we played against them in April in the 0-0 when we the possession was even and played far better to the games where we lost against Forest, Leeds, Bournemouth etc when we had 70+

1 Like

Except of course a couple of seasons ago we were near bottom of that league and it was cited by several as conclusive evidence of you know what.

I think either it isn’t the correct translation he was looking for, or more about the fact the low % wasn’t planned but failure to do what they were meant to do.

If a team plays slick give and go passing at 100mph, creating chance after chance - against a team that passes the ball, cautiously, at a snails pace across the back time and again… Surely the possession stats are correct, but prove to be a load of bullshit…!

Definitely not the former lol, that’s pretty clear…the thought to use a stronger word probably came across his mind.

If he’d never mentioned it I would’ve thought the tactics were pretty well executed, away to an unpredictable Chelsea side a point many would’ve taken given our squad isn’t fully assembled yet, when MacA is playing the #6 and Gakpo the left #8 I don’t think we can play the way we’re meant to, no matter how much time in spent on the training pitch.

Gakpo has spent his entire career playing as a left winger and in the space of 7-8 months has now played 2 further positions.

Is that correct? Before he joined us I’m sure it was said he had played or could play multiple positions?

Well as a winger maybe a handful of games on the opposite flank and he did play as a central secondary striker if you like at the WC but predominantly as a LW…I’d be shocked anyway if he ever played in midfield before that first pre-season game.

1 Like

But was it remarked as conclusive evidence?

I think, in fact I know it was supported by reams of information and examples of how Liverpool got the thin end of the wedge regarding decisions. No one ever relied on that table as conclusive evidence.

And you, if you remember dismissed the very table that you cite as evidence today. Make up your mind Rambler

2 Likes

Next time I have the time, I’ll trawl a few lower teams’ forums to prove myself right. Or just leave this here? Think Lampard knows more about football than us armchair muppets:

And before the snarky comments about what does fat Frank know, far more than any of us.

I get what Klopp was saying though. Particularly in the second half we would win the ball and just give it straight back to Chelsea by trying a ball that had a high level of difficulty or trying to be too direct carrying the ball. Plenty of times second half I was screaming at the tv for us to just calm down in possession.

Almost all of Chelsea’s damage came from counter attacks because we just were too impatient in possession and would lose the ball in very bad areas of the field where Chelsea could quickly counter.

1 Like

Clearly nothing. We lost to Everton the previous season at Anfield where they scored a penalty…we also lost to Burnley through a penalty and conceded a penalty against Sheffield Utd too. He was upset in the above video because his team were denied two penalties when their players dived.

8 Likes

Knock yourself out.

I might be mistaken here, but surely, having a VAR decision overturned, means the incorrect decision was given against us initially…! Take the Reece James penalty when he handled on the line… Taylor said play-on until he was told to go to the monitor… So yes he overturned his initial decision, (which proved to be wrong), from NO penalty awarded… to then give us a penalty, and issuing a red card to James…!
Yes we benefited from an overturned decision from VAR… but if the Numpty in the middle had done his decision making job correctly… VAR would not have had to get involved…!
So if a number of similar decisions have put us at the top of this leader board… then I am all in…
It might need spelling out to the authorities here… If, and it is a massive if, we have benefited, VAR has done what it has been brought in to do, mostly because of the incompetence of the referees -
Look at the Cheaters at the bottom of the table… that is because they get every contentious decision awarded to them - VAR can’t get involved when the referee has made his mind up - Think back to Jon Moss and the penalty he awarded them against Wolves

5 Likes

Laughable isn’t it?

Anthony Scouse Taylor has so much history in having to give a decision in our favour after being told to look at the monitor it’s just ridiculous at this stage. All that table tells me is we’re getting fucked over by on-field referees more than most, although I’d expect our ‘score’ to be higher.
That table is as much use as a chocolate tea-pot. At times like these I usually ask people to give an instance where the likes of Taylor, Tierney or Chris ‘Koppite’ Kavanagh have had to give a decision against us after checking the monitor and the silence is deafening because, quite frankly, they never fuck up in our favour to begin with.

2 Likes

I can remember teams getting penalties at Anfield quite often in the recent past. In fact Spurs got more penalties at Anfield in one match than we did all season.
Therefore Lumpard is wrong!

4 Likes

Everton got one at the Anfield Road end when Calvert Lewin trampled over Trent while he was on the ground in the penalty area…

3 Likes

Let’s hope we run rampant at home with our new stadium addition. We need to put teams like this to the sword.