Pre and In Match Thread. Liverpool vs AC Milan. CL Group B. Wed 15th Sept 2000hrs

Must admit that when I saw this CL group being drawn out my initial reaction was “Oh no, not these wankers again.” I was actually surprised that we haven’t played AC Milan competitively since the CL final. I think I’m just sick of seeing Italian opposition although I did enjoy watching Atalanta last year. Obviously we have played the others in the group more recently and I could have done without seeing them as well.

The group as a whole is surprisingly tough so we need to put out our strongest starting XI. We do have the luxury of 5 subs so there is still the opportunity to rest players if we can get a couple of goals going into the second half but I don’t see it being that easy.

The back 4 have been holding up well so I wouldn’t change that if there are no injury concerns. In midfield I’d go for Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago and probably be looking to sub on Keita in the second half. Front three I’d go with Mane, Jota and Salah although I’d still like to see how Ox would handle the False 9 role.

I’m expecting some serious noise from Anfield. Also, for us in Germany it looks like it’s on DAZN again.

3 Likes

No need for wholesale changes - and if anyone is surprised when there aren’t wholesale changes, they’ve not paid attention to Klopp and his teams over the last 5 years. AC Milan won’t be a walk over - anyone that thinks they will need to check themselves.

I’d expect no more than a couple of tweaks. Definite starters (imo) will be Ali, Trent, Virgil, Hendo, Naby, Mane, Jota, Salah.

I think I’d rather see Tsimikas in over Robbo for this one, but again I expect Robbo to start. I do worry for big Joel, so maybe Gomez/Ibou get a go.

Milner was back on the bench on the weekend, as was Naby. I’d expect one, maybe both, to start. Thiago might be in again. Jones is fit too.

Looking forward to a big night in the CL under the lights with fan backs in Anfield. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get tickets for this one!

Nice that we have lots of options

2 Likes

Us to win 3-0!

1 Like

Second string team for the groupstage. I’ve won 4 premier leagues on the spin in FM21 dont you dare question my managerial ability.

1 Like

Absolutely, what a first group game this is with the fans back.

Couldn’t have been much better than this.

2 Likes

So it’s either Giroud up top with Rebic in that left inside channel.

Or if Giroud can’t make it (he’s a doubt), then it’s Rebic up top and Leao on the left.

I think Madrid is our strongest opponent in the group.
That means we have to win against Milan for going through.
Due to the 5-sub rule I would go strong. Mind you, it‘s a italian side. We all know how difficult to play against it is.

1 Like

Could be this:

Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Jota Mane

Subs: Kelleher, Konate, Phillips, Gomez, Tsimikas, Milner, Keita, Jones, Chamberlain, Gordon, Minamino, Origi.

We’ll see if there’s a little change or two. But I think we’ll probably start full strength at the moment. We’ll possibly have 2 GK’s on the bench if it’s better for Gordon to stay with the U23’s.

2 Likes

Other than injuries I don’t see Klopp making changes this early of a season. This is a champions league against one of the top teams in Europe. Hendo of course for obvious reasons. Rest players in domestic cups.

1 Like

Ha apologies…get Jurgen on the phone asap

1 Like

Insane we beat that line up… I’d argue that Milan team would give our current team a run for their money, and our current team is one of our greatest ever.

Excited to play them again! Up the reds.

4 Likes

Nesta + Maldini! :raised_hands:

PS. Steven Gerrard is a legend!

2 Likes

He’s the only one gets in that Milan team from ours.

Gives me chills remembering hearing the crowd singing at half time.

Only one I see being rested is Matip but if he plays he wont feature v Palace. He cant play 3 games in 7 days.

Confused at people wanting wholesale changes. I’d expect the same XI (with Elliott replaced by Henderson or Keita) and then maybe switch around one or two for Palace at the weekend.

Wholesale changes can be the Norwich cup game, where we will do our best to get knocked on purpose without looking like we are getting knocked out on purpose.

4 Likes

I reckon it’s more innocuous than that… We just happen to play whatever team hasn’t been getting chances to play, and then add in a couple of youth players who may be more deserving of opportunities. End result might be similar but probably just very different motivations…

Two proper European giants. 13 European Cups between us.

With all respect to some, it’s games like this you want in the CL. Not Atalanta, or some of the no namers we’ve played in recent years.

And as tough as Atletico are (no question they are quality and be the toughest game by far) for prestige the bigger game is against AC.

2-3 changes for me and there will be no drop off.

Matip, Elliot and Thiago out for Gomez Hendo and Keita.

Criminal if we play Matip when we have Gomez available

If you look at it from Milan’s point of view, plotting their way through the group, this is a critical match for them. Holding LFC to a draw at Anfield sets them up with a chance go get through with perhaps 11 points. Same applies for their away match versus Atletico, but this one is first.

I don’t think we want to see any trading-down, changes should be focused on the abilities needed to break down a defence around the box.

Maybe this is Thiago’s time to win you over?

5 Likes