Pre and In Match Thread. Porto vs Liverpool. ECL Group B. Tuesday 28th Sep 20:00 hrs

Got to rest a few for Sunday .
But need the spine of the team tonight .
Joel and joe were the centre backs against Milan and I wouldn’t bet against the same tonight .
I would start with milly right back , Timmy left back .
Fabinho Henderson Naby ,
Salah jota mane .
Maybe changes after 60 mins

1 Like

That’s silly, these are Liverpool players, if they kick the ground the earth should move.

3 Likes

Why? Tuesday to Sunday is fine… Play our strongest team, get a few goals lead and then rest anyone.

3 Likes

How often does it ever happen that we get “a few goals lead” and particularly away in Europe?

2 Likes

I don’t think Klopp will make such wholesale changes for such a crucial game. We already have an enforced change at RB and I expect Klopp to go with an unchanged CB pairing.

Brentford :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I hope this game is going to be as easy as most people seem to think it is. I only saw highlights of the Atletico game, but Porto had a goal ruled out right at the end for an unintentional handball. Really unlucky.

Team selection not straightforward tonight. It may be 5 days to the City game but it’s only 3 days since the Brentford game and that was a tough battle. End to end stuff. A few of ours looked weary before the end. Virgil in particular. I’m not sure if he and Matip are capable of starting 3 games in a week. We do have 5 subs which will help. I’m expecting a lot of changes tonight with some firepower on the bench if we get into trouble.

7 Likes

Touché :joy:

I put that down to a off day in the office for too many of the players to get through it with the win. However, this Liverpool team have shown in Klopp’s time that they do learn from mistakes and will double down.

Bring it on Porto I say. It’s a tough game, but I’m backing us no matter how Porto approach the match.

2 Likes

Last time we smashed Porto?

1 Like

Well we’ll see. Hope you are right. My nerves could do with a rest :wink:

You are right, we do well against teams which plays football; and yes, Brentford was such an odd games with so many of our components (CB, Robertson, Fabinho) malfunctioning.

2 Likes

The question is whether we would even need to take the risk on him when Millie is fresh.

Returning from injury and still a young lad, meaning you always need to be wary of damaging him psychologically if thrown too much into the deep end.

I don’t see the point but Klopp is pretty brave sometimes with his squad selection so you never know.

I would 100% go with Milner. Gomez seems far too much of a step backward in attacking threat. Might have worked 4 years ago but it’s also a no for me.

3 Likes

Aye it is did it once on soft ground, standing foot sank into the ground a few inches causing me to kick the floor quite severely did both ankle and knee lol

1 Like

I went to the Brentford game and quite honestly my view is that although Virgil made that great saving shoulder barge tackle near the end of the game , he looked like he is Up to 80 per cent of the man he used to be .
He just needs a bit more time to recover , hence I left him out of my line up tonight .
Midfield is important tonight .
Fab needs to shout more , didn’t hear anything from him the weekend .
Hendo and Curtis were quite advanced so a ball over the top targeting our right hand of defence worked well on the day for Brentford .
This evenings a different matter , lesson learned .
I would have james Milner starting at right back , he’s certainly vocal .
If our defence needs the protection I’m sure he will hear him screaming for cover .
I’d have Virgil fresh for Sunday , partnering either joel or joe .
Again I’d rest Bobby from the start tonight , maybe replace jota or mane after 60 .
If Naby starts maybe bring him off after 60 -70 .
Let’s finish our chances now .
Read a stat we are 9 th best in the league in conversion rate .
Need to improve on that

1 Like

Haha 100% that’s why I don’t get the lovers of when we struggle or play shit.

Give me a 5-0 thrashing any day.

4 Likes

With TAA out, I am now wishing I watched a little of Atletico-Porto. I know Porto was in a 4-4-2, but don’t know anything about their left winger.

1 Like

I’d go with

Alisson
Milner Gomez VVD Tsimikas
Henderson Fabinho Jones
Salah Firmino Mane

1 Like

Alisson
Milner - Konate - Gomez - Tsimikas
Jordan - Fab - Curtis
Mo - Minamino - Mane

Full strength it is then bar Trent

2 Likes

They could have phrased Trent’s injury better. It makes it sound like he’s got the clap.

2 Likes

Liverpool: Alisson; Milner, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson, Jones; Salah, Mane, Jota

Substitutes: Adrian, Kelleher, Konate, Keita, Firmino, Gomez, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Minamino, Tsimikas, Origi, Phillips, Williams

8 Likes