Pre Match. Burnley vs Liverpool. Wednesday 19th May. PL

Wasn’t it Kavanagh who glances at the screen for half a second and gave a penalty?

Ah well given and not given he didn’t wreck our season.

Anyhow Klopp’s record here is remarkably good 3-0, 3-1 and 2-1 with only one reversal of 2-0.

2 Likes

I’ll have the 3-0 please.

3 Likes

Anyhow if we win by one we win by one if we win by 3 we still need to win on Sunday.

4 Likes

Last 2 games we need 6 points.

So we can win both games and still not finish top 4?

Yes. If Leicester win by a huge GD and Chelsea win as well.

Brilliant. So longer in our hands.

I’m at peace tbh, many times I’ve thought we don’t deserve top 4 this season, the fact we’re still in with a shot is good enough already. We have to beat two Burnley and Palace sides with nothing to play for, hopefully we do, otherwise it’s just the final confirmation Europa is the max we deserve.

2 Likes

Well it never has been technically, not since about January/February.

No matter what the permutations and combinations are, if we win our remaining games we will be in top four. Stars will align themselves, we just have to do our part.

1 Like

Ideally we get a highscoring win tonight and and early goal on Sunday which could kill Leicester emotionally for the rest of their Game against Spurs.

Don’t think we even need a high scoring win tonight. A simple win should be sufficient for them to already knowing it’s a mountain to climb. A win today would mean atleast a +2 better GD already and they’ll know they have to improve on it on the last day.

2 Likes

If we were to do the bare minimal they have to win by 3 clear goals on Sunday, every goal extra we score is another clear goal they need to score by.

I’d say we were to repeat what we have done there in the last two seasons then if we were to win by one on Sunday they still would have to win by 4 or 5 clear goals.

Mason won’t want to go out with a bad result and Spurs will probably still be gunning for Europe.

Anyhow if we don’t win we won’t qualify, looks like we might have Milner back which is something to help and the Ox could be useful later in the game but yeah let’s just do the job.

We got out of jail on Sunday so if that can’t motivate the players to get a result and get to Anfield on Sunday with a crowd to grab that last place then nothing will.

6 Likes

Agree…

It’s over to you lads. How much do you want it

1 Like

Main thing is a win, no repeat of the Palace debacle a few years back chasing goal difference

If we win both, as we have to, we’ll be a minimum 3 goals ahead of Leicester.

If we win both, Leicester have to beat Spurs, and do so via 3, to match us.

Then it’s a case of adding to that if and when we’re able to.

2 Likes

It still is in our hands, we just have to outscore Leicester. It really was the worse possible result for us last night - either Chelsea dropping points or Leicester getting hammered would have made life easier for us. But when has life ever been easy?

Hoping Pope is either off form or not playing tonight.

1 Like

Can’t see Pope being risked tonight.

1 Like

This always looks like a tough fixture but we have a really good recent record here. Previous seasons we have played them when we’ve been in much better form and where we haven’t had so much difficulty scoring goals. That’s my big worry tonight. Converting chances. Our approach play on Sunday was good and we carved out a lot of good openings but the finishing, bar Salah and Alisson, was terrible. Same story for most of the season. Jota is a big loss for us.

I don’t expect any more favours from other teams now. We’ve had enough already and it’s a minor miracle that we’ve even got a chance of top 4 after our form and results Jan – March. Any sort of win will do tonight to take it to the last game. We really don’t need to worry about goal difference before then.

6 Likes

Primarily we need a win. That’s the front of everyone’s thinking and probably Klopp’s easiest team talk. What kind of season do you want next year lads?

More psychologically, a good win here - and I’m not demanding a particular score, more of a confident, clear win in which we are clearly the better side and the result was never in doubt - doesn’t just help with the goal difference. It also hit Leicester’s confidence as they go into the Spurs game. If we do well beat Burnley, I’d expect Leicester to go into the Spurs game thinking top four is gone, and being happy that fifth and the FA cup is a really good season.

1 Like