Pre Match: Liverpool v. Manchester United, 2000 BST (UTC +1), Tuesday 19 April 2022 (Premier League)

Titi Camara. I still can’t watch that without tearing up.

Edit: I also apparently can’t type it without tearing up as well.

Edit: Ah fuck it, here goes….

7 Likes

Exactly whom I was thinking of. Nothing to do with goal scoring records, just the need for a distraction from their grief.

RIP little boy and may his family grieve together and look after over another.

5 Likes

It’s a personal decision and he will do what’s right for him as he grieves. Some people are so numb with grief they can barely move. Others have just the same grief, but they need to do something to keep going.

Either way we should show him the love and do a classy thing, dunno if a silence will be observed, or if we will applaud him enthusiastically or something, just to let him know we are human beings who feel his loss, and this transcends sport, and rivalry.

Oh, and then it is absolutely fine to play hard and take the three points we need.

There’s no incongruence with any of that.

12 Likes

Since the advent of the Premier League, we have been on the short end of the stick more often than not when playing Man U. In the Premier League, we are 17-13-29. That includes a four season winless streak from 96-97 to 99-00, and a six year winless streak from 02-03 to 07-08. From 92-93 to 07-08, or 16 seasons, we only won seven matches, losing 20 and drawing five.

However, we’ve been better since. Since the 07-08 season, we are 10-7-10, and we are 4-4-1 over the last five seasons, the last defeat being in the 17-18 season. We have not lost in the league since, going 4-3-0 and scoring 15 while allowing four.

3 Likes

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

3 Likes
2 Likes

Barring fatigue or early switching off, United are ripe to be utterly dismantled.

Don’t really like that banner. Made sense vs cheaty but until we have the PL won I don’t think we need that sort of hubris vs a real club (albeit real shite) like Man united

Just give them a bloody good pasting,3 points,no injuries though.
As for Ronaldo,whether he plays or not should be down to him in a large part,if he feels he wants to,fair enough.
RIP little fella!

Not sure why I couldn’t find this thread before. Anyway, my main concern for tonight would be having a hangover from the weekend. I’d expect to see mild rotation in the team - probably Matip at the back and juggle the front three. The midfield can be subbed partway through so I’d maybe look at starting with Hendo.

This United team have been poor defensively in recent weeks. As long as we don’t do anything silly ourselves it’s just a case of being patient. 3 points is all that matters.

2 Likes

On this day twenty five years ago, United came to Anfield and beat us 3-1. A brace of thumping headers from Gary Pallister and an Andy Cole tap-in, after a David James error, gave the visitors a vital three points and extinguished our title hopes.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

3 Likes

I’ll settle for another 5-0.

4 Likes

Those words still have the power to send a chill down my spine

2 Likes

How times change.

I’m going tonight. The rational part of my brain is thinking that any kind of win will do, just get the 3 points, no injuries, keep the pressure on City etc but I know that if I come out of the ground not having witnessed the complete and utter destruction of Manchester United I am going to feel disappointed.

12 Likes

I get this…but imagine if we play shite and score the winner in the 94th minute - Anfield erupts, we point and laugh at United etc.

What will happen during this run, if we are to win the PL, is one of those ugly, hard fought, somewhat lucky, 1-0 wins. Here’s hoping it’s not tonight, as there’s nothing more I’d like to see right now than to hand these another big drubbing.

Mo Salah to get out of his funk tonight is my prediction.

3 Likes

You Know Yes GIF by Liverpool FC

5 Likes

lol … I had the same feeling … dodgy keeper and all that … and then I thought of Mignolet too. :scream:

Still a model professional (or should that be a professional model?)…

You can’t beat a last minute winner at Anfield so, don’t worry, I’ll be perfectly happy with that. I’m just trying to think of how badly we would have played to be in that position and I can’t see it. They are terrible. I can’t see how they raise their game even if they wanted to. Trust me I am not usually this confident but it’s going to be a major shock if we struggle tonight.

4 Likes

I think the sad news about Ron is enough to raise their game - esp if he plays. But I don’t see it happening to such a degree that we end up losing. Stranger things have happened though.