Pre Match | Liverpool vs. Arsenal | EFL Cup 4th Round | Thursday October 1st 19:45h | Anfield

It’s among trophies, but it’s not among the 48 major ones. We can discuss if the EU Super Cup should be a major trophy. But I think the difference is clear.

The charity shield/community shield, isn’t on the champions walls’ at Anfield or Melwood - just a friendly.

2 Likes

Thats what i am saying, its the most minor of the minor trophies. But a trophy in name nonetheless. And so, when we get compared to United, it is counted overall too. So, i still want it everytime we play it, unlike the ‘its just a friendly’ attitude of rubbing it off.

And the ESC, well, it might be way more prestigeous than Community Shield, but a one game trophy is still a minor trophy in my book too.

The Charity Shield is not even a decent plate,it’s like winning the fair play championship.

5 Likes

But its on the official record books, and its not a friendly.

I thought it was just a temporary place for the Ladies Singles Trophy for Wimbledon to live for a few months.

1 Like

I would start
Adrian
Neco Gomez Billy Milner
Shaq Grujic Jones
Elliot Minamino Jota
Subs
Origi
Robbo
VVD
Gini
Trent
Kelleher
Fab

2 Likes

A bit harsh, considering you need yo be Epl or Cup champions to play it, for the most part.

2 Likes

Larouci is an interesting shout, maybe he’ll partly play because we need Millie in midfield, maybe partly because we might use this game to put him on the market more in this last week, if we need to. Hate it when we have to play guys who won’t be here in a few days (or they might, but only by accident or us not getting a good enough offer and they’ll just wander around until January), but that’s a different topic. We don’t have a proper #6 option if we share game time at CB between Gomez and Fabinho. Grujic in front of the CB’s against Arsenal doesn’t sound like a good idea to me, he had some weak reactions even against Lincoln. I also don’t like it when we play Millie in a double six. Let’s see what we do.

I dont trust that midfield at all too, especially against Arsenal, even if its their weak lineup. I would play Gini or Fabinho to ensure we win it.

Adrian
Neco Gomez Koumetio ???
Milner Fabinho/Gini Jones
Shaq/Elliot Mina Jota

Edit
Adrian
Neco Gomez Koumetio Milner
Grujic Fab/Gini Jones
Shaq/Elliot Mina Jota

Adrian
N. Williams R. Williams Phillips Larouci
Milner Grujic Jones
Origi Minamino Jota

CBs could be anyone, but doubt we see Fabinho, Gomez, or VVD after they all played Monday. I guess a similar split might be done pairing one of them with a youth player for 45 to see through the game.

Then it’s a numbers game. If Klopp thinks Milner can man the #6 (and he probably can), I’d leave Grujic out and play shaq in mid again. I want players on fringe of first team playing over players who are in the shop window. Grujic probably won’t see minutes this season for us, so let’s get the minutes in for players we need up to speed when called upon.

Jota and Minamino could be a good combination. I’d give Elliott some minutes in this one as well.

1 Like

He’s a machine, and we might as well get our moneys worth :slight_smile:

you stick larouci out there imo

doubt even edwards can get more than 3m for him, and it’s not like david sending uriah to the front line, anyway–it’s a football match, and he’s a football player

origi
jota/minamino/shaq
jones/milner
larouci/kid/kid/neco
adrian

harvey on for shaq @ ~65" unless somebody up front is egregiously shit and you shuffle the front 4 around at half time

So Origi in goal and Adrian up front,brave call.

6 Likes

I know Adrian started in the previous round but I don’t really see the point in playing a GK in this competition who isn’t going to be here long term.

I’d go with:

Kelleher
Neco Williams Gomez Phillips Larouci
Grujic Milner Jones
Shaqiri Minamino Jota
3 Likes

Shop window.

1 Like

Its quite normal that reserve keepers have an agreement in place that they get the early rounds of the domestic cups.

Also if we do need to call on Adrian in the league, it’s better if he’s played a bit of football.

8 Likes

I doubt we’d have any such agreement with Adrian. Personally, I don’t see much benefit of Adrian playing in the League Cup behind a team and back four that he’d never play behind in the League or Champions League. Just seems a missed opportunity to give the younger keepers some senior experience.

I think Larouci is injured.