Pre Match: Manchester City v. Liverpool, 1630 BST (UTC +1), Sunday 10 April 2022 (Premier League)

OK, let’s say we’re ahead by 3 going into the final game that we lose but secure the title anyway due to superior GD.

A win gives us an opportunity of a draw potentially, City in recent weeks have gone back to the low scoring wins which was successful in that title winning chase, another factor if we win is they might start chasing goals, that can lead to Spurs type results.

I assume they could have gone for a bucketful at Burnley and not to tred too far into this territory it’s not certain a win would allow that but I think it does and as others have said momentum is important if truth be told people mention Man Utd, Everton and Spurs I’m more concerned with the away games.

3 Likes

Oh I don’t know the origin, I just know that there would be a massive order from one individual…

It’s more we’d miss out of spanking of Everton and Utd!! And we’d be back to 1-0, 2-1 wins!

What a game, can’t remember the last time there was such an ecounter of two sides of this level, going at it near the end of the league in a pretty decisive game. It may or may not decide the title. It’s like a little final.

We’ll have to find the right balance between courage and caution. Easy for us fans to say emotionally “go at them like wild animals”, but do that (or only that) and we’re probably finished. No need to mention that we’ll still have to play a very smart game, like every time (and like themselves also).

So I don’t think the game will look a lot different than most of the games with them. They lean more towards possession and control, we lean more towards enforcing mistakes off the ball, transitions, defensive solidty, etc.

Of course, there might be the “new” element of us taking more risks at some point in the second half if it’s going nowhere.

The side should be more or less predictable at this moment with recent events and performances.

Matip and Hendo back in, Thiago most probably stays.

Salah is not in good form but obviously a key player and our golden goose (can’t imagine his reaction if he was dropped for a game, I wouldn’t be against it), so he starts.

I’m pretty sure we will not go with Jota centrally because to play and beat City, we need a much more involved player in that zone. I’d rather see Mane ahead of Jota centrally if it was between the two, even if Mane had some heavy first touches last night and we finally calmed the game down and regained control when Bobby went in.

I also don’t see the scenario with both Jota and Diaz starting.

Most probably Bobby centrally and then one of Mane/Jota on the left. Diaz is fresh, but I think we’ll go for experience in this one and use Diaz potentially later on in the game.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s back to the Old Guard then with our first trio. Mane brings you more threat in both directions, Jota brings you that element of surprise and a goal from nowhere.

Could be:

Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Kelleher, Konate, Gomez, Tsimikas, Milner, Keita, Jones, Diaz, Jota.

We’ll see if we have both CB’s on the bench of we sacrifice, say, Konate, for an additional midfield/attacking player, but let’s assume probably not.

1 Like

Watching our games would kill us. We would not be allowed to have comfortable wins. Just 1-0s

1 Like

2014?!

4 Likes

Good shout, but it was still not of this level. Chelsea also had their chance (which Mourinho gave up on, I think that is often easily forgotten). We’re both now two fully proven top sides going at it. It’s very rare.

What year was the game of the 11mm goal line farce? 2019?

Yeah, but that was much earlier in the season, January 3rd.

1 Like

Sounds harsh on Milner, particularly as he’s so experienced at closing out games, but I’d be tempted to have Elliott on the bench instead.

Nah, no chance for that in my opinion. Millie is too important as a member to leave him out, especially in such a game. I don’t know what we’d get from having Elliott on the bench if he probably doesn’t play, we have other players in better rhythm/form than him.

1 Like

The point is that a loss means City need to drop points in two games. I am chalking the WHU as a potential doozy for City and I can quite easily see them dropping points there, but there’s only a remote chance they do that twice in the limited games left.

IMO a loss is catastrophic for our chances. A win means we still have lots of work to do in the remaining games.

Seek therapy. You have “issues”.

1 Like

As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, they’ve done it before, and they’ll do it again. I don’t disagree that they’re a good team, I just don’t see the unstoppable juggernaut that most people do.

How about VAR scrapping their 9th goal in the 95th minute? That close enough?

1 Like

Bulldozer them from the off and don’t let up. Harrass, annoy, frustrate and hurt them. Our lads will be beyond fired up for this. 3-0 to the magnificent Red Men.

I would say if we win on Sunday, it will be 6 wins and 1 draw for the title assuming City win their remaining games

1 Like

Lately City do seem particularly dysfunctional at the back. They’ve chopped and changed a lot there.

They’re not used to teams playing 3 forwards against them either, especially not of the quality of any of the 3 from Jota, Diaz, Salah, Mané, or Firmino. That really is an embarrassment of riches.

We need control of midfield and to cut out their passing lines in between the CB and FB. Quick transitions.

5 Likes

Personally I’d play Keita and Diaz from the start.

In the game at Anfield we were too slow in midfield and struggled with City’s press. Keita is quicker over the first 3 yards than Henderson (and Fabinho), even if he’s slow over a distance. We can’t let Bernardo and De Bruyne run past us so easily this time. Keita’s also better than Henderson at keeping the ball when pressed intensely. I’d bring Henderson on at 55-60 when City’s energy has dipped a bit.

Diaz is the best player we have at holding it up under pressure. I’d expect City to have more possession and at the moment Diaz looks like the best ‘out’ ball in the side. He’s also incredibly sharp at making runs in behind when we’ve won the ball back, I could see him being a real problem for the City back 4.

I know the subs last night suggest neither of these players will start, but we’ve seen Klopp throw curveballs out like that before. Whatever happens we will have an 11 out that is more than capable of winning the game. Fingers crossed they turn up.

7 Likes