Pre Match: Manchester City v. Liverpool, 1630 BST (UTC +1), Sunday 10 April 2022 (Premier League)

Yep, it would be a big call but I was also thinking we’d be better with Thiago, Fabinho, Keita midfield. Principally they move the ball quickly and find space well. They also see passes most others don’t (well, Thiago and Keita do).

Diaz, Jota, Salah up front?

2 Likes

Nah I think we lost control yesterday too easily, was too wide open and against Man City that’s signing a death wish.

2 Likes

I’d say there’s almost zero chance for Henderson not to start. I see more chances for changes in forward areas. But I don’t think we’ll invent too much. It could be a long game (in terms of the score/performance being tight), some of our quality and in form players could have a part to play after 55-60mins. I see us going with first and foremost what is best equipped to produce our performance and then unleashing some of the, let’s say, more individualistic stuff later in the game.

2 Likes

That could be too disconnected from the rest of our team I think. Something you don’t want against City. I didn’t like Jota up top centrally against Inter par example.

Problem is that they will have an enormous psychological advantage if they beat us.

But still being in the CL and/or FA Cup will also be a factor for them because fatigue might surely come into play at the end of the season.

You keep banging on about it, but they don’t need that to lose. They’ve made multiple unforced errors, and while we would gain a large advantage by winning, even with losing we will still stand a good chance.

A West Ham team at the Olympic Stadium that still could qualify for the Champions League? Wolves at Molineux with an outside chance of Europe? Leeds (who am I kidding) or Newcastle whom they struggled to get past until some decent help from the referee? Brighton and Aston Villa are no pushovers either.

I think it’s a very small probability that neither team drops points outside of this match, and that City aren’t less likely to do it than we are.

Too abstract for me to imagine atm. Hope we beat them on Sunday and then we don’t really have to worry. :grin:

1 Like

Fair enough. Personally, until the end of the season, all I’m doing is looking forward to the next match, looking for 3 points and no injuries. Then the next match, 3 points and no injuries, and so on and so forth…

5 Likes

Us vs Arsenal in 1989?

3 Likes

Yeah, that would be one. Even a better example as it was the final game of the season. What a game to win/lose, wow.

I wasn’t born yet. :joy:

1 Like

Would VAR now disallow Arsenal’s first goal in that game?

1 Like

Stop It Chris Hemsworth GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes

4 Likes

If Anthony Taylor produces any debatable ‘early’ yellow cards against a couple of our players (Fab, Robbo, Thiago maybe)… yet lets the Rodri’s of this world commit as many professional fouls that break up our attacking play as he wants without punishment… then the deck will most definitely be stacked against us from the the kick-off…
Personally… I think Jurgen will ramp up the pressure on the officials via pre match press conference in the hope of protecting us as best he can… Either way, still think we will be too good for them on the day… Diaz off the bench to seal the win and become every LFC fan favourite player in an instant :0)

3 Likes

Ferguson literally rode this kind of thing to multiple league titles during his tenure. He would constantly put pressure on refs in his press conferences, and during the match. Swings and roundabouts, innit?

2 Likes

Sorry but I disagree about that Zoran. 2014 is an excellent comparison. We won that game to put us top with only 4 games to play - we had the title in our hands provided we didn’t lose to Chelsea. An even bigger game than this weekends.

1 Like

Yeah, that game was big. The Coutinho winner was exactly the moment when I finally started to believe it’s ours. I’m not saying similar games didn’t happen, but that they are damn rare. Especially when it’s this level of quality and teams being on a similar level, proven, have won things, top expectations, etc.

Yeah after the previous 25 years of hurt, I’d stayed a doubter all fucking season until that point. Got to be a believer for one fucking match that season!

2 Likes

There’s more at stake than three points. We win and Pep/Cheaty will start to unravel. We win and the Mentality Monsters will complete their resurrection. We win and teams will be afraid to face us. Yes, the odds are staked against us, it’s always been like that. That’s why we are so great, that’s why it tastes so sweet. Raise hell, reds, raise hell.

5 Likes

No way would I start Keita in this EPL match. Come on lads there’s horses for courses and Thiago suits me much better at the start then see if the opportuity arises to mix things up a big.
I have no worries for Diaz, any of Diaz, Mané, Salah and Jota in fact I think as things are Diaz, Mané and Salah is my prefered front 3 atm.

1 Like