PreMatch | Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 20 | Saturday January 14th 15:00h | Amex Stadium

Fight…thats what we need…fight for the ball, fight for the game, fight for each other, …but what do I know…but that’s how it feels…

2 Likes

The fight has gone, I think.

They’re obviously trying, but it’s poles apart from the old fight.

Mental fatigue, older legs, the wrong chemistry…dunno…but I’d be very surprised if it comes back without a significant injection of new faces.

3 Likes

WTF!!! :rage:
Woke up to this, where’s the post match thread?

Think Mascot may have moved it over to the RIP thread.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. I had no expectations going into this game which I watched delayed. Normally I would be raging at the performance, but I knew it was coming so was sat there expecting the worse and it was duly delivered.

I also believe there is something seriously wrong at the club behind the scenes. Fuck knows what it is, and we would only be speculating regardless.

I also think it is a combination of injuries to our forwards having a flow on effect to the press and effectiveness of our midfield. However. I do think the midfield needs a significant overhaul and that FSG needs to take some financial “risk” and start investing more on the team. Combine the above with too much loyalty to ageing players and we end up in the perfect storm we have now.

5 Likes

For starters he can control and protect the ball better. Then not give it away so easily when he does get it. Would be good to see him get more involved in any capacity. Yes we have been shit for much of the season and Mo has been way off form.

I don’t believe that Klopp wasn’t aware of the need to replenish the midfield. I just think that Klopp is put in an uncomfortable position when he knows that FSG are unwilling to provide the funds necessary needed to do so.

He isn’t going to go to the media and outright say that FSG won’t spend. But he’s left plenty of hints when he talks about how some other clubs (namely PSG and City) operate and how they don’t operate the same way at Liverpool, and how Liverpool don’t have unlimited funds, and how those other clubs have skewed the market, and how money doesn’t solve all problems, etc.

With those limitations in mind, he has no choice but to back the current squad in order to maintain their sense of self-belief. But he has to know that this current midfield is this clubs biggest liability, their injuries to their forwards have made it much worse, and there isn’t much he can do to solve it at this point.

2 Likes

Fixed it for you

they were reportedly ready to pay 100m for Aurelien until he chose Madrid.
Theere were other factors at play but ultimately the manager made the choice as to priorities…

1 Like

I’ve watched with real concern even before the WC break and commented on how bad I thought things would get from what I perceived I was seeing compared to what I’ve watched in the past from our first team. Of course I was attacked when I went too far and said relegation could be a possibility but we’re sure slipping down the table compared to where we have been for years.

Our recent games have looked like a team that has lost all ability and heart to play, not the team that in years past even being down one to two goals in the second period would stage a thrilling comeback and either draw or win.
Now sadly when we get scored upon first it appears there’s not much of an answer.

I cringe when I see an open net and one of our new wonder boy strikers misses finishing the ball into it consistently. I watch with concern when Mo can’t even get a shot off and when he does most times it fails to go in. Our injuries are horrible but our backup strikers are worse. Oxy and Baby K need to go. Our midfield and passing looks like an old timers game, dare I say they do better more consistently then we do.

Alias our defense is crap with Allison getting scored on more and stupid mistakes being made by our defenders. Even VVD prior to his recent injury seemed really off. I said to my wife when he got beat midfield and had to run full out to defend, he looked totally outclassed even though Ally was able stop the shot.

I don’t look forward so much anymore to game days. Regardless I remain a devoted fan and will support them with all my heart and soul. I’m just frustrated and have no way to make anything change for the better!

2 Likes

I suspect it is not a miscalculation made in isolation. I suspect there were several things they got wrong about this season’s preparation and they all compounded with these leggy and mentally confused performances being how that is manifesting. Had those things been handled correctly, maybe their assessment of their midfield options wouldnt have been so off.

1 Like

Real paid less than that, and for most of the spring when we were being heavily linked, the reported asking price was substantially less again - in the region of 40m when we first started getting linked. I have no idea what we would have done had he been inclined to come here, but I dont know that we can assume we had the money and we were willing to pay whatever Real ended up agreeing to.

Well, that was a steaming pile of shit.

FSG out brigade can fuck off. So can the guy who was pining away for a midfield of Allen, Lucas and Shelvey.

Best thing I read all day was something about paying Salah £350,000 a week to run sprints up the wing for 90min. What’s the point of keeping him if you hoof the fuckin ball over his head and yell at him for not doing anything.

1 Like

Yes a steaming pile of shit that’s been years in the making, courtesy of our owners directing the club down a cul de sac.

Yet people want to blame Klopp’s stubbornness or the club handing a new contract to Salah for this mess.

Get real.

But when you get it to his feet all he does is dribble and lose it or takes 4 touches before passing it … to their player (Which is the same as most of our players)

1 Like

Poor performance allied with poor tactics.

The writing was on the wall with that first half performance, but we carried on in the same vein after the break. No surprises to find ourselves two down straight after.

We struggled all game to get some passes together, yet kept up with the weird formation of having Thiago to be the forward high press.

Not sure what this role of Ox was, except not contributing to defence or attack. Was wanting to see at least a sub or a tweak at HT to disrupt Brighton’s dominance. Nothing came.

Turn this into a transition season. See what we can do. Salvage something. At the very least, the young members of the squad are gaining valuable first team playing time, which will have future payoff.

No team can stay at the top forever. So get the planning right for next season.

4 Likes

Not the kind of result I need to wake up to, far from it, but the way we have been for a little while not totally surprised.Haven’t seen anything of the game yet bur read a whole pile of assessments here.
Something is clearly wrong, the midfield is older than a lot for us and can’t run forever, waiting in hopes for Bellingham is the way to madness.If he goes elsewhere and these results may help that.
Sadly as the game is largely about money, unless FSG can unearth a fairy godmother or sell we have a hard road ahead.We know The coffers are not limitless, but ready to roll players are required.
I like the idea of bringing kids along,and we must, but that takes time and they will not all turn out to be good enough.
Aspiring to be up near the top is a hell of a job and nowadays requires serious resources.

1 Like

Its still a miscalculation.
There were other factors similarly connected to the miscalculation about CDs three years ago

With add-ons they didn’t.
The LFC offer had been reported by some pretty reliable Mersyside sources.

The 40m valuation dates back 2-3yrs when Chelsea was reportedly looking at him…

Yet Ox started again and Elliot/Jones sat. So there’s that.

Gonna get blotto’d, back in a few days

1 Like