PreMatch | Liverpool vs. Newcastle | PL Matchday 33 | Saturday April 24th 12:30h | ANFIELD

On our day we would destroy them far more easily and convincingly than they could. Unfortunately that’s almost never the day we play them.

On a more pertinent note, like any other team we’ve played in the last months, Newcastle will park the bus and hope for a break on the counter. The question is whether or not we are going to be semi-competent in front of their goalkeeper. Judging by some of Salah’s finishing in the latest training video, it’s a hard no. Also it would be nice not to totally deflate after 60 minutes.

7 Likes

Klopp regarding Jota: “Diogo is fine”.

3 Likes

He also said that Nat is out. So Fab probably continue at CB.

If we’re winning by a goal for the last few minutes, maybe Ben Davies will come on to defend the corners.

1 Like

Newcastle? Seriously??

1 Like

No. Man Utd.

1 Like

Ah
This is the Newcastle thread :smirk:

1 Like

Yeah, we are a bit ahead of ourselves in discussing the United tie.

1 Like

Newcastle and then United next, a free week in between of them, but two different games.

Of course, full focus on the next one, 6 finals to go. And not only finals, we will need some luck, too.

We’ll see if we start one of these games against low blocks with the double 6 system and our front 4, especially if Fabinho is needed at CB.

1 Like

Who’s Ben Davies?

1 Like

If we can’t beat Newcastle top 4 is gone.

3 Likes

Captain Obvious here with: If we can’t beat Newcastle then we don’t deserve to be in the Champions League.

4 Likes

Obviously the phantom Welsh left back…gives Andy a wee rest 'n all.

1 Like

Isn’t the phantom left back Greek? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Nat Phillips still not available. That’s a big kick in the teeth to be honest… we’ll miss his aerial strength. Fabinho and Kabak (hopefully they are fully fit, fingers crossed!) aren’t really strong in that department, so hopefully Newcastle won’t exploit that weakness too much. And of course, it also means that we will miss Fabinho’s calming influence and shielding ability in front of the defence…

I’ve already written this umpteen times, but what an absolute cack of a season this is!

Anyway, hopefully, we’ll scrape through anyway and get the three points today, otherwise we can wave bye bye to the CL next season…

4 Likes

Agree no Phillips leaves us vulernable in the air as Leeds showed on Monday. I would play Rhys Williams at CB rather than Fabinho. At least he’s tall and it doesn’t weaken the midfield. I can’t be bothered to check but I’m not sure we’ve won many games since the start of this year where Fabinho has actually started as CB. Always seems like such a negative move to me.

Hopefully Jota is fit enough to start. I thought Mane was showing signs of life against Leeds so he should be starting too. Bobby was terrible, doesn’t deserve to start but probably will. Hopefully we can sneak this one but Newcastle will be confident after the West Ham win. At least this is one of the last home games we’ll have to endure with no fans. but it’ll be another tough watch I fear.

5 Likes

Today we face a visit from the barcodes, a prospect that affects me rather as the announcement that for the future they might expect to be chastised with scorpions instead of, as under the previous administration, with whips must have affected the Children of Israel.

And given our parlous position with regards to attaining a position amidst the top four I was contemplating saying something such as “This is the most important game of the season, well at least it will be until the next one. It’s an absolutely must win game”

But I won’t for fear of a reoccurrence, or worse, of what happened against Leeds, when we were left dismally limp among the ruins of our golden dreams.

And I shan’t refer to today’s officials either, other than to express the earnest opinion that somewhere, in a cozy corner of the electric flame department of the infernal regions, there stands a little silver gridiron. It is the private property of his Satanic majesty, and is reserved exclusively for the men who officiate football matches, especially those who operate VAR.

Boudica of course has proposed her own peculiar method of resolving the issue of wayward match officials.

It was a solution that had not occurred to me, but now that it was presented for my inspection I could see its merits. In these days of national effort, when we are all working together to try to make our beloved land fit for heroes to live in, it was astonishing that nobody before had thought of a simple, obvious thing, but it had taken a woman’s intuition to see it.

The Mem threw in the last suggestion entirely in a sporting spirit, as she is of the opinion that these little encounters, might sharpen the wits, stimulate the circulation, and keep one out in the open air.

In a likewise spirit I conclude this week’s sermon with the ubiquitous beatitudes:

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! (well someone had to say it) :roll_eyes:

I’ll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :astonished:

7 Likes

Liverpool’s teamsheet shows just one change as Mohamed Salah returns to the starting line-up in place of James Milner. Curtis Jones is back on the bench following injury.

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Kabak, Robertson, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Jota, Firmino.

Subs: Adrian, Milner, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Tsimikas, Shaqiri, R. Williams, N. Williams.

4 Likes

4231 gotta be

That’s it, then. 4-2-3-1 for today.

Oh shit! 424 Thiago and Gini double pivot that looks like a cluster fuck. :cry:

2 Likes