PreMatch | Southampton vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 37 | Tuesday May 17th 19:45h | St. Mary’s Stadium

liverpool fc thank you GIF by UEFA

3 Likes

Even resting players, I’d be disappointed not to get three points here. Aside from the ‘shock’ Arsenal result, Southampton have done nothing of note for a good while.

Origi hat-trick will do fine.

1 Like

Oops!!!

1 Like

Oooooppppsss!

2 Likes

Think you’re in the wrong thread, mate. :wink:

2 Likes

Have Aston Villa got a good bus parker?

In light of the City result then we can’t afford to pragmatically dump this game anymore.

Alisson
Gomez Konate Matip Tsimikas
Milner Henderson Jones
Origi Firmino Minamino

3 Likes

We are still in with a chance for PL, so klopp will go pretty strong, Midfield is a bit of a worry with Fabinho out and Henderson and Thiago playing 120 minutes yesterday so Jones, Milner and one other. Up front Origi , Jota and Bobby.

We have to basically say who can start and who can’t, Keita and Diaz off the bat to me are possibilities as well as Jota (who hasn’t played a lot recently so surprised people are leaving him out).

The biggest calls for Klopp is Trent (though Gomez has deputised well enough) and Hendo the latter is the big one.

I wouldn’t start Mane or Thiago or Robertson or Trent.

I think the rest you make a team from.

As for Soton the two fans I know have been basically suggesting they have been on the beach for months so no doubt they will show up. Anyhow as I said elsewhere a draw today is probably a good thing. Chasing a 5-6 win was going risk injury. Now we just go into it for a win, if we slip up in our games then we didn’t deserve it anyhow.

If we win both then it won’t be decided by GD and so we did our best.

Ox has looked really poor and I’d rather we look to give Elliott minutes instead.

1 Like

I don’t get the call to dump this game, even if the West Ham game hadn’t gone our way.

We need to keep the rhythm going, and this West Ham result means that we don’t need to obsess over goal difference. Keep the squad fresh by using those who are still able to go again, and those who are ready to wreck havoc having had not much time lately.

5 Likes

It’s a twat of a result for us, cos it puts Klopp in a really difficult position.

Strong team to take City to the last day and hope for a favour from Villa, while potentially weakening ourselves for Paris?

Or rest lads for freshness, concentrate on the CL, but imagine how sickening it would be if City do drop?

In the end, I think Klopp will end up in a half and half situation - changes for Southampton, with a lot of the lads who did 120mins nowhere near it, then strong again for Wolves, with a week to rest for the Final.

So Southampton team

Alisson
Gomez Matip Konate Tsimikas
Milner
Keita Jones
Ox Minamino Origi

I doubt Klopp would go that deep, but I would. Back these lads to get us home against Southampton. On to Wolves.

2 Likes

I think it’s better than a close City loss. If we can get the result done early.

Three our best players will be rested but it seems they will make the final. Go 3-0 up and you can pass it around instead of thinking we need to go at them for even more. A loss to WHU today and that’s what you’d be expecting with no guarantee it matters, the two wins no matter what just asks that question. Can’t see it being likely as Villa play on Thursday as well but if Man City slip, two wins will do the job. No oh we need another five goals here as if that was the mindset we would be picking up injuries.

5 Likes

Again Jota hasn’t played much and is far more effective than those two on the wing even if he isn’t as good.

2 Likes

Was thinking that he’s played 120 at Wembley, but yeah - good shout. He should be ok.

1 Like

Jota came on for Mo so not quite the full 120… so he probably a good to go to guy on Tuesday
Jurgen will have the Wolves game in mind for resting some guys this week but giving them 30mins in the Wolves game to keep them sharp/ish… So difficult to pick two teams for the PL games with the CL so so important…

We do have 5 days and a week it should start to see a bit more energy in the team due to that.

1 Like

Klopp knows we have to win this game , nothing else will do. For that reason he will be going as strong as he possibly can.

The only ones I can see being definitely rested are Robbo , Virgil , Thiago and Salah.

2 Likes

Henderson played 120 mins, is prone to an injury, and we’re fucked if he goes down. I’m fairly confident Milner will be at the base of midfield for this.

Naby came off on 70, so he should be OK. And Jones should definitely start this.

3 Likes

Tyler Morton should make the bench for this if he’s not already gone on holiday.

The only good thing is that they didn’t lose. Had they have lost you could see us trying ridiculously hard to catch the goal difference and working ourselves into the ground for it. As it is we need them to drop points again anyway so we can accept any kind of win, hopefully if could get 2-0 up we can do our standard “see the game out” low tempo stuff that always winds everyone in the match chat up but is actually really effective.

3 Likes