Rescheduled to suit the transgressors: Pre Match PL. Man Utd vs Liverpool. Old Trafford. Thurs 13th May. 20.15hrs

BS solidarity, we have decent owners.

3 Likes

The games changed and we need to move on from that. Fans have also had a part to play in the rampant extortionism that has happened over the past 3 decades from United fans basking in all the glory for 20 years to Chelsea fans revelling in becoming a power to City fans rejoicing in becoming an overnight superpower and to us bringing back the glory days. Itā€™s only when the winning stops when fans want to get their game back.

3 Likes

Football. From billionaire owners who have fuck all interest in our game except making a profit for them and their mates. We have a common interest: making our game fairer, cheaper, more sustainable and reformed in the interests of ordinary people. If people think 3 points against Man Utd is more important then fine, but itā€™s not my view.

2 Likes

Nopeā€¦ban em.

The owners donā€™t care one fucking jot about us and never will. Itā€™s stockholm syndrome, pal. Sure, they care enough about their image to ā€œapologiseā€. But football as a business is just like any other industry to the wealthy owners: a means to extract profit from us, the people who buy their ā€œproductā€. But football isnā€™t just a product. Itā€™s the working manā€™s game and has immeasurable social value. Weā€™ve lost sight of that.

3 Likes

Let just say I donā€™t share your extreme left wing BS and leave it at that, I know I will.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how we get battered down: they say ā€˜oh, just move onā€™.

Nah, weā€™ve had enough of this bullshit. We need to force them to ensure football is a game that is affordable and that we have genuine ownership over. They wonā€™t just bestow it upon us without challenge.

1 Like

You say ā€˜extremeā€™. Iā€™d say Iā€™m just professing the values Liverpool fans hold as a supporter base and as a city more broadly. We donā€™t just revere Bill Shankly for the titles he won, you know.

6 Likes

It also requires 100ā€™s of millions of pounds every year to keep a club going concern and to challenge. The games changed mate and it changed 30 years ago with Sky and broadcasters and United cashing in and breaking transfer records and wage barriers and then reached another level with oil barons and state funding. In this environment what would you have clubs do? Have owners who can run the club to be profitable while being savvy enough or fall into obscurity or worse? The 50+1 thing in Germany, as mentioned before, was not the fans buying out owners but the other way around yet itā€™s become some sort of talismanic war cry.

5 Likes

I usually agree with Sweeting comments , but not this time. No respect for them from me. I would be devastated if LFC fans behaved like that. Totally out of order. Wait until crowds are allowed and then boycott games, make them feel it in their pocket. If memory serves me right United have spent loads on the ground and on players under the Glazers so what is the problem ? Are they just pissed at not winning almost every game like they used to ?

3 Likes

Obanite, i hear you. :clap
It transcends footballing rivalry. I agree with the fans having more say in the running of their clubs. I agree with the 50+1 rule, if it is possible in the future.
If Liverpool fans were doing this, we would be lauding them.

1 Like

No oneā€™s deluding themselves into thinking itā€™ll change overnight.

The 50+1 thing is a demand. Itā€™s important to have tangible demands and goals or nothing gets changed.

I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s particularly fond of fans being vicious for the sake of it or chanting about Scousers. But itā€™s somewhat missing the more important point: protest is supposed to be disruptive, otherwise itā€™s easily ignored.

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, I understand what youā€™re saying and in most ways I agree with you but what we should actually be trying to change is not just football but life as we know it. Greed pervades everything.

1 Like

Iā€™m not so defeatist mate.

The ESL is only a dead in the water partially because of the huge furore we made collectively as football supporters.

1 Like

Sorryā€¦man, but I was at Hillsborough and remember only to well, the sight of dead bodies on the pitch. So no, I will never stand in solidarity with a group of low life scum who taunt us about that day. Also, I have never goaded Utd fans about Munich and Iā€™ll condemn anybody that does so.

22 Likes

Donā€™t mean to insult that memory at all, pal. My family were touched by Hillsborough too.

My point is that I stand in solidarity with fans protesting broadly against corporate greed. I clearly donā€™t have any time for fans who mock Hillsborough or come out with anti-Scouse chants (often laced with anti-working class sentiments.

You canā€™t demand someone sell a controlling share of their private business. This just isnā€™t going to happen. And thatā€™s before you get to the question of fans raising the Ā£1.5bn it would need to make that happen.

You canā€™t replicate the German model when the circumstances youā€™re starting with are completely different.

Fan representation at board level is a demand. 51% fan ownership is never ever going to happen.

16 Likes

You may not and neither have I but I have stood on the Kop pre Hillsborough and witnessed many doing the Aeroplane gesture and humming the Dambusters.

1 Like

So have I, itā€™s disgusting and inexcusable.

2 Likes

Yes. You can. With public pressure and unified fan opposition, backed by politicians, community/fan groups and campaigns, you absolutely can. We managed it with Hicks and Gillette here at our club.

Look more widely at society: there are plenty of examples of cooperatives, unionised workforces and the like taking on vested interests and winning. Why the negativity?

1 Like