Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

Well no, we can’t. But clever is what we’ve previously been very good at. Not over paying our valuations, not getting drawn into crazy bidding wars. Not doing our business in public.

Let’s hope we get back to that.

If want Lavia badly we would have more room to overpay for him than Chelsea would . On the presumption they get Caicedo.

If we were to overpay, it would want to be guaranteed he is going to be World class.

Don’t think the club has been too clever the last few seasons either. Recruitment in general. Players leaving for nothing and so forth. The lack of success the last few seasons. The club has hardly pushed the boat out.

That’s another discussion. Let’s see how this window plays out.

1 Like

What a depressing start to the league. Could have easily gotten Lavia onboard by paying the 50m , and now we’ve pissed all over it.

The lack of succes last few seasons hmmm season before last 2nd FA cup win, League Cup win, Champions League final and in title race till last day of the season.

Lavia isn’t worth that money with his experience.

2 Likes

can we not just buy someone else? Most on here had never heard of this guy so there are probably others out there. If we don’t get anyone is it such a big deal?

True but I think we might have done the best deal in the league this window in Mac Allister. Gakpo and Diaz look like great deals too.

As for the outgoings, it is frustrating. But someone has to want them and they have to want to go. Look where Ox and Keita have ended up. Would those clubs have forked out enough for us to sell them a season ago? Would they have gone there if they weren’t out of contracts.

Fingers crossed we get something sorted. Neither player has gone anywhere yet.

The issue with those two was injuries.

I think the Fabinho money is pretty decent as is Hendo really, just could have done with not losing both at the same time.

Ox did always have issues but the ACL seemed to finish him.
Keita well who knows.

1 Like

Caicedo isn’t worth half the money we had offered and Lavia I would say 30 million is a fair value. Caicedo deal is nuts.

I agree .

1 Like

Sissoko did an excellent job for 5 million at CDM before he injured his eye. Lucas the same. We need not sign 120 million players unless it’s MBappe or say Kane.

3 Likes

I understand why you’ve given those two examples, but that’s not the profile of player we want in the role nowadays. If we wanted somebody like that we would have bought Sangare, Amrabat or Alvarez a month ago.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong mate but Sangare and Alvarez aren’t miles off Caicedo. Before Brighton signed him for 4.5 million he was nobody. Atleast we know Sangare is a solid player. 115 million is robbery. 50 million for Lavia is bit expensive but I am absolutely fine with it. We dodged a bullet in this deal. He is no Van Dyk or Allison. We paid over the odds for Nunez but atleast he is a striker (who always are a premium) and most of it were add-ons. This bid for Caicedo is like a Glazers bid to console their fan base for sometime. We need better plan in place.

2 Likes

I think this is exactly the point. Our club very clearly don’t see Lavia as a top class CDM at this stage of his career. Even if we got him 3 weeks ago it still would have been extremely unlikely he’d start against the plastics. There have been so many comments about why we are willing to spend £110m on Caicedo but not adding the £3m Soton are asking for, but it demonstrates just how much value they place in Caicedo and what he can deliver right now.

And can we stop talking about how we suddenly have £110m floating around to spend before the window shuts? Klopp has explained this so many times already that there isn’t some static kitty to spend each year, but he and the others handling transfers have the power to convince the higher ups to release more funds for a generational/essential talent. Caicedo clearly is that in their eyes.

5 Likes
  • Lavia was a player we were considering to supplement the group before we lost Hendo and Fabs

• Caicedo is a player we have turned to as a replacement for those two

It is a completely different profile. I know there was reporting that we continued our interest in Lavia after both exits were confirmed but that doesnt mean we viewed him as the replacement.

5 Likes

After the seismic events of the last 24 hours, I just want to assure the TAN community… @Nikola has been restrained and fitted with a special collar that will emit a high voltage electric charge if he tries to open any more transfer threads.

5 Likes

Just give me a nudge I’ll set up the next one.

Haven’t seen Sangare (well, barely) play but Caicedo is levels above Alvarez.

Alvarez is a lot cheaper, but for good reason.

He is shite, could not pass the ball to someone in the same shirt if his life depended on it and yes I have seen the required 10 matches of PSV.