Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

Just for context you kept telling us Gakpo was shite :wink:

2 Likes

In fairness to Dutch the stats back him up on this one.

2 Likes

On passing. Yes.

Sangare does score pretty well in defensive actions (tackles + interceptions). Also carries the ball well.

Dutch might have a point regarding his passing (more specifically his long passing which the stats are abysmal). But he does do well in other aspects.

I don’t believe that long passing is a must for a team like us especially when the likes of Trent is there.

1 Like

Reminds me of the ‘event’ on TIA aka Clint Dempsey (non)transfer deadline day 2012(?)

1 Like

I am more gutted if we lost Lavia @@

1 Like

Now this I just cannot believe …
Chelsea are close to agreeing a deal for Southampton’s 19-year-old midfielder Romeo Lavia as they try to sign both the Belgian and Caicedo. (Star)

On the other hand, this I accept as gospel …
Liverpool remain interested in Lavia and are expected to hold further talks with Southampton about the player. (Sky Sports)

1 Like

Would feel like a kick in the guts if we missed out on both to Chelsea. Obviously they are different players but it would be difficult to understand bidding overs for Caicedo but not matching Soton valuation for Lavia.

1 Like

I assume Lavia isn’t totally sold on going to Chelsea and they probably aren’t sold on buying him.

Though I think literally everyone is guessing.

Those who have been in the game long enough are being careful with what they say the sensational types are just putting out whatever for fun.

And would anyone serious respond to that Schwankoff Twitter account :joy:

I don’t blame if he is acting as the mouth piece for someone with the way Chelsea are half of his summer would be covered with exclusives.

Not sure everyone would. Lavia has only just come to most people’s notice and the other lad has destroyed all signs of progression by wanting Chelsea. I’m sure we will get over it when the season kicks off.

Wherever this finishes up may not be a bad thing for us, Caicedo clearly doesn’t want us, great just saved 110m,Lavia I do feel a bit sorry for, seemed to want us, and we probably dicked around a bit, arguing about a million or two then we come out and want to pay telephone numbers for Caicedo.
We will cover no.6 somehow, the world isn’t ending, we do need a ready to go player, and I’m sure they are around, for less than 110m.

1 Like

Don’t think it’s the 50m the issue, it’s the structure I believe both for Liverpool and Chelsea. Whatever anyone wants to believe about Lavia, he is just not that great now. He is good and could become very very good and that is probably what the payment structure wants to reflect. Maybe 50m is doable only if Soton can accept more add ons rather than money upfront. The lesser they are willing accept, the more we are willing to pay upfront.

Hell I am willing to pay 30mil now and even over pay another 30mil if Lavia plays 2700 mins in the league next season when we win it. But that’s probably not what Soton wants, they probably wants 40-45mil upfront with small add-ons

2 Likes

Time is of the essence though. Less than three weeks until the end of the window. If there was a target with a release clause, presumably we would have already looked at that transfer so that means negotiating a deal where the selling club also has limited time to get a replacement.

Going into the season without another midfielder would seem light on - similar to the centre back position in 20/21.

1 Like

I still actually think we need a new centre back.

1 Like

If I were him, I’d be pissed off at Liverpool for fannying around over a few million, yet being willing to break the British transfer record on Caicedo.

“What? You don’t think I am that good?”

2 Likes

If Soton are willing to sell him to us for 50M, you have to do it. Caicedo is likely off to Chelsea. Spend 50M on Lavia, and then go buy a veteran DM (Amrabat?) or a young quality CB. Then close up shop for this window.

I wouldn’t mind it. The depth would be nice and Lavia could become better than Caicedo (especially with the antics of his camp).

if you are Lavia and CFC do sign Moses and have Enzo he must be thinking were do I get my game - looks at us and sees a gaping hole in our DM and thinks ill play a lot for lfc

1 Like

agree. i think all this persuit of a DM has made us forget our CBs still arent looking great in pre-season

2 Likes

It sounds like Poche sees Enzo playing more advanced. They probably want Caicedo and Lavia as the double.

1 Like

What, he just came up with that in the fly yesterday?

If that was the case they’d have bid for Lavia a long time ago

1 Like