Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

But we have now shown our hand which worries me.

As I say, provided there’s a plan and swift action from here then that’s fine. But we can’t sit on our hands for the next week deciding what to do next or determine there’s no value in the market and so just go as we are.

There’s also a part of me that’s concerned John Henry is here. Was it to hopefully bask in the glory of signing Caicedo? Or is there something going on behind the scenes that’s escalated all the way to the top.

Pure speculation but something like a falling out between Jorg and Gordon over transfer dealings or Jürgen not happy with the business we’ve done and he’s kicking off. Total guesswork but something feels off and Henry rocking up is not unheard of but definitely not an every day ocurance.

1 Like

Someone needs to tell the club about these players and quick!!

MacAllister and Szoboszlai are two excellent additions, from just a few weeks ago.

The midfield rebuild isn’t finished, but we can’t go overboard.

well said… calm and calculated…

Should have put it in here!

Sorry but where did i say the club had interest in Caicedo before?

Your the one saying we definitely didn’t have any interest. I think there is enough examples of us as fans not been aware of what the club is doing. Fabinho perfect example and of course the most recent example where you properly stated opinion as fact was the Dom signing wouldn’t happen broke the day before the deal.

As for keeping the bid in i cant understand why its effecting you so much. It wasn’t effecting anything its not like we had already paid Brighton and we needed to wait for the refund.

Yeah the club made offers for Lavia but it got to stage where the thought the value had gone and decided not to carry on. This works in all walk of life the same you set your budget and dont go over.

2 Likes

Surely there must be a load of unemployed no 6 players in Saudi , since all us foreigners seem to be going over there and stealing all their jobs ?

Can’t help but wonder what Edwards would have been able to do in this situation with £100m+.

1 Like

If I’m honest I wasn’t sold on this guy.

That’s not to say we need to now find someone who can do the job from day one. Perhaps that’s why we avoided doing this deal.

I guess we will only know when the window shuts, considering some people like to remind us of the release clauses perhaps a player exists :joy:

2 Likes

If we didn’t think he was good value then that’s fine, but why subsequently then put in 3 bids below Soton’s price tag when we knew they weren’t willing to negotiate? Huge waste of time. Should’ve long moved on.

The timing of the Caicedo bid was strange, to me definitely not 1 that was planned given it came out the blue and no one was expecting it. Bit of a pointless move given the players previous antics.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from, but Jürgen did say last week wasn’t it that we are working on bringing people in , and that we have targets.

I’m sure he wouldn’t have put all his eggs in one basket on the two we were linked with.

1 Like

Because that’s how you find out if someone is actually willing to negotiate.

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said. Southampton saying they want £50m does not mean everyone knows they aren’t willing to negotiate. That itself is part of the negotiation.

2 Likes

Think I made my feelings known on the lad :smiley:

Fabinho and Henderson leaving has buggered us a bit but them going meant other DMs we couldn’t afford became an option for us. Its just a shame most of them were gone. Its also not our fault Caicedos agent is a piece of shit who lied to us.

I mean Klopp loves Tchouameni but we have not been putting bids in for him as its been made clear he isn’t interested in coming here.

John Henry in London? Season opener, world city, club offices there too, record bids flying around, there could be lots of reasons that are all normal, before we get into any bad things like disagreements and falling out etc.

It’s also possible he has other business in London, as billionaires have their fingers in a lot of pies. At an outside guess, maybe there is minor investment to finalize? The club made a record bid for Caicedo and most of us didn’t see that coming. Do we have additional investment that has not been publicized yet? (I know we had room within FFP to bid like we did anyway, but it was still a surprise. Was the surprise due to a new injection of capital from a minor investor?)

Or as many have joked, maybe Linda just wanted to do some shopping?

John Henry doesn’t come over very much, so it is intriguing, but to my mind, it need not be for a bad reason. It might be for a good reason, or maybe just for the purpose of alignment and showing support at the start of the new campaign?

1 Like

So so happy with Chelsea signing Caiceido. I feel so happy like i have made 115 million pounds!!! We dodged a series of Cluster Bombs from Brighton there - thanks to Chelsea. Get Lavia and Andre now!!!

2 Likes

115m over 8 years… so that doesn’t sound so expensive or am I seeing it the wrong way?

I hear you! But we only truly knew they weren’t willing to do a deal at the prices we offered when… we made the offers and they didn’t do a deal! So we were negotiating, and getting closer to the price they stated.

There are many football deals where a seller set price x but ended up doing business at price y.

If we fail to make another signing this window, in particular a defensive midfield signing, then I will be on board and criticize that, as we do have a clear need.

Caicedo might very well become Cucurella Mk 2 for all we know :0)

depends on the structure and what Brighton demanded upfront…I doubt very much brighton is waiting 8 years to get paid…will let the financial gurus break it down

If Chelsea pull out buying this kid, Soton could end up with a player they have not been able to sell at the valuation they placed upon his head… bet Jason Wilcox arse cheeks are beginning to twitch round about now :0)