Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

Is this Zubimendi any good? if he is a fit why not?

Nah it’s here…

i think he is a good player, need @Sweeting to break it down and tell us his thoughts.

Would be perfect imo, xabi is his hero, good age/experience, cool headed, plays like a young busquets…here’s a write up Martin Zubimendi is the Gen-Z Sergio Busquets at the heart of Real Sociedad’s midfield - The Athletic

Release clause of 52.8 million add him and a lefty CH (Bastoni?) I’d be delighted

1 Like

Pat Cake on Twitter: “At the end of the day, when all is said and done, all things equally considered… Fuck off, Chelsea. https://t.co/5aYMTLDBrV” / X

1 Like

Given the talk that Chelsea were struggling to increase their Caicedo bid with FFP limiting them, how could they possibly be able to pay 50m plus for Lavia?

Installment payments. Chelsea likes to stretch out their payments 6 years, 8 years, 10 years, etc. FFP measures finances over a 3 year period of time. So by stretching out payment periods and even player contract lengths AKA Caicedo’s 8+1 deal, you can stretch out the money even more to fit FFP.

1 Like

The new Uefa directive is that regardless of a contract being longer, for financial auditing purposes, transfer fees can only be spread over a maximum 5 year period.

That is true but since Chelsea has no European football this year they don’t need to comply with EUFA standards at the moment.

I would add to that fact, Chelsea can retroactively fix their FFP status by selling players to balance their books. For example it is rumored they might sell off players like Gallagher, Kepa etc later in the current window.

1 Like

You say like you believe the club have put in the bid for Caicedo and sat on their hands since.

You do know it’s possible to have more that one thing going on at once right? Other conversions with other clubs/agents are/were happening in the background. You just aren’t privy to them.

Also, the bid for Caicedo might have came out of nowhere to us as fans, but we did try getting him last summer. It didn’t come out of nowhere to the player or Brighton. Also, things obviously changed when Fab/Hendo left giving us a more immediate need for a full time starter and the funds to go bigger.

I reckon his time at London looked something like this:

I mean what young man could turn down all that money and drugs?!

Seriously it’s just expensive rental accommodation and pints that cost an arm and a leg.

You could see that scenario above in any major city.

Sorry to burst the London bubble but it’s pretty much like anywhere else just more expensive and yeah I’m trying to leave.

Surely UEFA regulations apply to all clubs in UEFA affiliated associations regardless of whether or not a club is taking part in a UEFA competition?

I could be wrong by I don’t think that is true. Clubs still must follow FFP regulations even when they are outside European competitions. Its only that your punishment as a result of FFP breaches will kick you out of European competitions if you have qualified.

So if you are a team sitting 15th that has breached FFP and the punishment has already been handed down, then you could get a European ban and a large financial penalty. The European ban may be over multiple years though so there’s that to think about.

Other than financial and European ban, I am unsure of what other punishments can give out. The domestic leagues are the ones that can really dish out painful punishments if they get their rules right.

1 Like

Never heard of him before some posts here mentioned him. any reliable (or mostly reliable) linking us with him ?

1 Like

I don’t mind losing out on him, he is only 19.
We need experience, especially after last season.
It could be nice if we get him AND someone more senior.
But at 50mil if the club don’t value it I’m ok with it as long as they bring someone else

3 Likes

Squad men need to be available as cover. Adams’ injury record does not inspire confidence.

2 Likes

@rab don’t like the negativity creeping into you. You are a positive person. Hold your chin up, things will work out.

From what I read, Chelsea pulled out from Adams transfer after the medical. It looks like he might have need at least a month before full fitness so they decided to focus on Lavia and Caicedo instead.

Article: Explained: Why Chelsea pulled plug on Tyler Adams' £20m move from Leeds after he'd completed medical | Goal.com US

I’m alright. Always thought Caicedo was a a huge risk for that fee and have always said Lavia feels a bit too close to Bajcetic in terms of age and experience and I’d ideally want someone a bit more established.

But we have to get going now. Whoever it is, we need them in the door in time to play Bournemouth. The lack of midfield options is already having an impact on the attack because when we took off Salah and Diaz we didn’t have Gakpo to bring on as he’d been playing in midfield and was largely a passenger all game.

I also very much of the opinion we need two midfielders and a CB now. Anything less would be leaving us short in my opinion. Problem is we’ve got nothing over the line in the last six weeks and now everyone knows we’re sat on a pile of cash.