Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

what frustrates me here, and I truly dislike the txfer season, is the sense that LFC has joined this in-bred, EPL-centric culture, where football only exists in England.

This is still a global game the last I checked!

There are many, many top young DM/CM talents across the globe. Why are we getting into bidding wars with anybody?

I just don’t get it!!!

I became an LFC fan because it is diametrically opposed to the anglo-centric thingy. Why are we suddenly getting trapped in this way of thinking?

4 Likes

thanks for clarity…fuckin twitter or X or shit, whatever its called this week

I don’t think I’ve cared less about a transfer than this one.

100% this.

I mean Argentina won the WC because Messi is the goat (:joy:)

But as an example, they have a fairly decent league, and just having a look outside of teams like Boca and RP… they must have decent players amongst them that could be the next unearthed superstar?

Too obsessed with premier/European based players …take a gamble on some of the players elsewhere :joy:…so long as there is nothing linking Brighton/Southampton or Chelsea to them …it’ll be refreshing

I’ll certainly be disappointed if he goes to Chelsea. Lavia-Caicedo-Chukwuemeka compose of three of my favourite young players in the league.

Having said that Chelsea are paying them like established world class stars - which none of them yet are.

5 Likes

The fact it’s just one Guardian article and not the usual suspects who’d have an insight at Liverpool is quite telling.

Personally if he’s picked them over us then good luck to him. It’s not like he was their priority either. They had a deal agreed for Adams whilst also pursuing Caicedo. They’ve bid for him in a tit-for-tat battle with us, not because they believe in him.

If our bid for Caicedo is enough for Lavia to think he’s been messed around and Chelsea is going to be a better place for him to play and develop then so be it. He’ll be out on loan this time next summer when they decide to buy the next shiny thing. Just ask Cucurella.

5 Likes

There is Frederico Redondo at Argentinos Juniors.

There’s also Antonio Blanco at Alaves, and multiple others.

Now, they’ll not all be a good fit, but the point is that there are options in what is a global game…

2 Likes

It’s a great point. If he is concerned about he is valued and treated we really do risk losing him to chelsea now

:neutral_face:

He’s a prick, but does a funny Sterling impression

Doubt Liverpool ever said he wasn’t wanted though?

By all accounts the statistical models we use puts the most weight on premier league performances. It doesn’t mean this is the market we focus on, but does mean those players may be pushed to the top of our ratings. Of course that is balanced against a premier league premium you have to pay, which is also why we have done the majority of our business elsewhere.

However, if we are concerned about a hole that needs filling then it may be a situation in which we are willing to pay a premier league premium for the player in an attempt to derisk the move.

1 Like

ALL transfers involve risk. And the idea of the so-called PL ready players is just the kind of in-bred thinking I’m talking about.

We need to think globally about a global game and not get into this English mindset…

What premier league performance informed the signing and subsequent performances of Rodri?

I’m sorry this is pure unadulterated BS!

1 Like

Dear oh dear what a shit show :man_facepalming:t2:

I get it though. If we jumped to Caicedo without any firm indication to him that he is also in the plans then he is feeling vexed, naturally. Anybody would.

Our fuck up

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein
·
3m
:rotating_light: Liverpool among a number of leading clubs who have long-term admiration for Aurelien Tchouameni but Real Madrid see 23yo France int’l as key player & would not consider his departure, while midfielder has no interest in leaving #RMFC @TheAthleticFC

who got next??

50% of our transfers this summer came from outside the Premier League.

Of the four who came in on permanent deals last season, one was from the Premier league.

Of the two who came in the season before, neither were from the Premier League.

Of the three who came in on permanent deals the season before that, one was from the Premier League.

8 of our last 11 permanent transfers came from outside England or the Premier League. Hardly an “English mindset” just because we happen to be looking at two players plying their trade in England currently.

5 Likes

Rumours going round that Olise has also accepted an offer to join Chelsea, who apparently just have infinite money now.

2 Likes

Nice names, so that’s a good start.

It IS right now an English mindset, which is my point exactly!
I don’t understand why we have suddenly departed from our tried and tested approach…

Is it though? Or is it just that the two options they are currently focussed on happen to play in England.

I mean, we can all chuck out some names of players over in Europe but I think their assessment is more advanced than just the list of DM’s on Transfermarkt or watching YouTube videos. If there was a better option than either of these two don’t you think they’d be looking at them instead.

Outside of England, who do you think they should be looking at?

1 Like

If we could we’d be signing Touchameni over both.

1 Like