Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

Its no double about his press resistance, we can not get close to him after two months chasing.

2 Likes

If I’m honest what has changed since Thursday to now?

He didn’t play or come on when they needed to defend a lead. That’s all.

I will have a go at this. Not sure anyone else has responded yet, but I will read on!

What would I sell them for is the question. I’m not sure I’d be happy to sell either, as there is plenty of upside to come, but if the question is modified to what would I sell them for, here goes:

£80M Curtis Jones
£50M Harvey Elliott

I think Jones is a smashing player, and could easily be an important player for our midfield for years to come. It would need a large fee for me to even think about selling, something like £80M. If the buying club baulked at the price I would be fine with that, as I don’t really want to sell Jones, so the interested party could walk away and leave me alone.

I would sell Harvey Elliott for £50M. He is young, and has already seen a lot more Prem action than the likes of Lavia. But for our purposes, while Elliott is a smashing player and will surely improve further with experience, there is a sense that he is a little betwixt and between. There is a legitimate argument to be had whether he is a more of a midfielder or a winger, and for the fee I would sell him for, we could get a clearer solution for LFC in either the midfield or winger department.

Again, I would suspect any interested clubs would baulk at the fee, and if they walked away, I’d be fine with that, at this stage, especially as we are still finding out how good Harvey Elliott will become.

Edit:
I answered what would I sell them for, not what do I think the market would pay. I think the market would pay a good 20M less than what I would sell either one for, at this stage.

I can almost see the point on Elliott.

Guy is young and if Soton are asking 50m for Lavia then I think you’d say the same.

Jones is not 80m with the injuries he’s had I would put him on Lavia evaluation around 60m but if we ignore than he’s probably 30-35m at best.

I know it’s a bit of fun, but its an unanswerable question without defining the scenario in which we’re selling them. Is it that after another year, one in which the squad evolved to give them even more of a prominent role they ended the season still failing to fully establish themselves? Or is it one in which they hit the heights hoped for them and clubs like Real are sniffing around? Those are really the only situations where their price would be a relevant conversation, and the answer would change it from 15-20 million to 100m

2 Likes

I answered the question thinking right now, what would I sell them for.

(And I readily acknowledge that the market would not agree).

I’m going for the third option: Boehly says ‘fuck this shit’ and sells Chelsea, buys Liverpool on August 15th and immediately announced that both the mentioned young players are up for sale to be replaced by 2 ‘more on-brand’ players from the North Korean second division for 90m apiece.

ie. Right now.

Fair point. My thinking was what people would value them at here and now. But just what we think they’re worth, not necessarily in the context of us being a bit thin in that area and having lost a load of midfielders already.

What I was keen to see was how people would value them in comparison with Lavia. So far the consensus seems to be Jones is there or thereabouts in line with Lavia, if not under that a bit and Elliott somewhere closer to £25m-£30m.

My issue with the Lavia fee is just how little game time he has to back that up and whilst he had a good season he wasn’t without some rough edges which is to be expected of a young lad. Both Elliott and Jones have already played at a higher level and also frequently not looked out of place in a Champions League side and yet generally people seem to put a lower value on them.

I know it’s easy to perhaps over value Lavia based on our urgent need for a player like him so perhaps a fairer question would be this. Should Lavia join who do you think plays the most PL minutes and has the biggest contribution this coming season out of the three of them?

Lavia

Jones without question*

*Provided he’s not injured!

1 Like

Brighton splashing the cash…everyone’s more ambitious than fsg

FSG wants to sell Liverpool with as many assets as they can. They are interested in an NBA team in Las Vegas and find a bigger cash cow.

Should Lavia join who gets the most minutes out of Lavia, Jones and Elliott?

Elliott definitely third.

Then the debate is to what degree Lavia rotates while he is getting up to speed, so it could be close in overall minutes with Jones, assuming both fit and available too.

Jones is playing in a position where there is competition, Lavia would be the only DM.

I get that, but if there is an adjustment period he will be rotated, either with Thiago, or possibly MacAllister or even Jones himself, who played a deeper midfield role for England u21 recently.

Once Lavia is up to speed, I expect he would get the most minutes, but the variable is the onboarding period.

Still, it would be no surprise at all if Lavia got more minutes than Jones.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

The question should also have been asked regarding Lavia and what most would put his valuation at,rather than what southampton have said.
I would think Elliott is of a similar price tag and i’d put Jonas as being pricier and at a higher level as of now.

Elliott at 20 mp,Lavia at 25mp and Jones about 30/35mp but can see all their prices increase if they stay fit and well .

Yep, that’s what would I sell him for, right now. (Not what I think the market would pay).

Rationale:
He’s a bloody good player, so I don’t want to sell him.
We have persisted with him and helped him to get through some chronic injury issues.
He’s a baller, and doesn’t hide.
Age profile has many years to go.
He’s also more flexible than I thought, after seeing him do a deeper role for England.
Has goals in him, can go past players, can receive the ball under pressure and pass, decent shot.

There’s a hell of a lot to like. Home grown. Local lad too.

We are living in a world where the fees are ridiculous, so if Jones was gone and I had to go to the market to buy someone else, I’d want £80M in my back pocket to do it.

Obviously if there were no takers at the price I would sell for, GOOD!
Because I don’t want to sell him, so the price I’m setting is an offer too good to refuse.

2 Likes

If Jones fails to nail down a starting position this season - Wouldn’t put it past Gerard to come in for him next summer…!!

You mean Brighton are splashing some of the cash we gave them for Mac Allister to replace Mac Allister.

How very ambitious of them and their €45m net spend*

*pending the sale of Caicedo.

4 Likes