Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

Have you ever bought a house? When you made your first offer did they come back with a counter or simply reject it to see how high you’d go next time?

That’s exactly how it happens sometimes. See Caicedo, Rice, every single time anyone has ever tried to buy Nat Phillips from us.

2 Likes

A bit of Aussie slang sometimes associated with the Roosters and not a bad call from @PaulRoJo so he must support the grubs up the road South Sydney. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway back on thread….If we buy this dude you can guarantee Thiago will be fully fit, if we don’t buy him he will stay injured and we be light on.

Either way we will dust Chelsea

3 Likes

Most likely. The bids themselves will usually provoke a counter offer so the two parties move closer on the final terms of the package, but from what little information we’re seeing i get the sense Southampton may not have shown any flexibility. In which case it was probably hoped the second bid would prompt that, and then the third.

Surely we have an unexpected 10m from hendo and 40m from fab? And also forgetting the 1m+ a month wages were saving…

So in the net spend world we are only throwing in 0m of our own money if the bid needs to be 50m?

I know its not that simple, but it seems that simple.

Southampton know that we have both received that money and need a player in that position. That doesn’t really strengthen our hand.

Exactly. So why are LFC delaying the inevitable?

1 Like

No, it is the club’s money. This isn’t an Andy Carroll situation where a club buying one of our players will increase the fee to allow us to offset the asking price of his replacement.

Suggestion is he won’t be involved in their game tonight in the League Cup.

Might be to avoid him then being cup tied. Might be a sign of progress. Might be just that Southampton don’t want to risk him or he’s not in the right head space to play.

1 Like

with all this messing about I do wonder if liverpool are trying to drag this out in the hope that Mbappe moves and it forces madrid or whoever buyes having to afford it.

Getting a bit more like:

You just wouldn’t make bids if thats tge case.

Liverpool and Southampton aren’t that much off in their valuation of Lavia. Both value him around 35 to 40m. The 25% future transfer fee that is owed to City is the difference maker however.

I made the same point on buying houses on Facebook and was told it was nothing like buying a house because its only 5 million FSG should just cough up its pennies to them.

How do these sell-on fees work. Do City get 20% of everything, including the add-ons as well, or just the initial fee?

I can see us wanting to find a way to minimise whatever might end up in their pockets if we can manipulate that somewhat.

That’s actually a good call. It might be that Southampton are obliged to pay on the full 20% up front and if we are looking at staggered payments and add-ons it could leave them out of pocket. Having said that, I’m sure that this would have been highlighted from the start.

Everything.

There was a case a few years back, I think involving Southampton, where they bought two players from another club. One had a sell on clause. They negotiated a higher price for the second player and under paid for the player with the clause so the selling club could pay less to the club that was benefiting from the sell on clause.

1 Like

I think varies from clause to clause.
The one we had with Ings was a percentage of the profit Southampton made, not a percentage of the full amount.

1 Like

It was alleged we paid more for Lambert and less for Lallana because of the Lallana sell on clause to Bournemouth.

1 Like

No they shouldn’t just buy him because its only £5m more they should buy him because they want him here for the next 10 years. But like houses, cars etc if you submit a price you think its worth and the seller turns you down then you walk away…unless, its the house or car of your dreams then you have pay whats being asked.
Soton have said all along - its £50m. They dont need to sell. They have already sold a lot of players and have parachute payments.
I dont want or need to sell my car but if someone knocks on the door and offers me £15k ill sell it. If they offer me £11k I wont.

1 Like

Nope. We’ll suck it up and pay if we feel Lavia is worth that much. The sell on clause isn’t out headache and neither are payments that are to be done to City.