Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

I mean it’s really the here and there. No one else’s opinion is as important

Not enough posts in this thread before locking time. Someone start a debate about referees or whether Trent is a midfielder

2 Likes

I transferred to Chelsea

1 Like

Ok, all referees are corrupt bastards.

2 Likes

We all agree.

Ok, which is the best Star Wars Film?

I don’t know, I’ve never watched one.

1 Like

For the superstitious, remember the last time we brought in a former Ajax player named Ryan…?

Hopefully not the same…

Best of first trilogy - Empire Strikes Back
Best of second trilogy - Revenge of the Sith
Best of third trilogy - The Last Jedi
Best overall: Rogue One

I’ve not seen enough of Gravenberch to have an opinion. Looked pretty good at Ajax in the 3 or 4 matches I saw with him there, but it’s tough to judge players based on performances in that league.

2 Likes

Two questions:

• what is his fitness record until now?
  • has he generally a professional attitude?

If the two answers to these questions are two yes, then all is well.

Indeed. :+1:

2 Likes

Pffft…I always wanted him anyway…

what else could there possibly be? Christ on a cross, what now?

2 Likes

So, another weird number in midfield, 38.

:joy:

You forgot the most important one: is he press resistant?

2 Likes

Craig on the tube sums up so much of the fan base after been doom and gloom for 90% of the summer its now a fine midfield rebuild.

2 Likes

It is, but I think a lot of people were surprised at how cheaply they got him from Ajax in the first place so there is a bit of that factored in, in addition to the perception of a recent inflation in the price of CMs. All in all, regardless of whether people think he is the right fit for us, it seems a decent price.

As for the fit, when you hear “intensity is our identity” he is not exactly the player who you think of and it’s difficult to see how he addresses the issue we’ve had of not being able to close teams well enough, but he’s clearly talented and people at the club clearly like him. So fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I believe he only had a year left on his contract.

3 Likes

Sure. But then surely Klopp has wanted each and every player signed by the club under his tenure. The other point is perhaps Gravenberch wasn’t exactly high up the list anyway. Signing him this late, after we’ve already failed to sign Caicedo and Lavia this window alone.

It’s also a case of we already have 7 midfielders. We lack quality in the 6 and he doesn’t play there nor address that. Thiago, Mac Allister, and Szoboszlai are good. The rest there’s a bit of muchness.

Recruiment planning and execution is a bit wanting.

Just not sure what he brings is really top level enough. I’m cautious that’s all.

It’s pretty apparent we’ve had an interest in him for a couple of years at least.

The timing is likely down to Bayern making a decision on whether to let him go or not based on their business and him pushing for it.

He might not be a “traditional 6” but we’ve bought one of those already. I think he’s some they see a lot of potential in, would possibly have bought him last summer if they could and have done so this summer because things came together in a way that made it possible.

But we should also be aware it’s not signed and sealed yet. Plenty of time for Bayern to back out because they can’t get who they want in or Chelsea to offer him double the salary to go there instead.